Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Battle of Çanakkale (Gallipoli) and ANZACs

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Today (3/18) is the remembrance day of martyrs of Battle of Çanakkale (or Gallipoli). In Turkey, the battle and the victory is perceived as a defining moment in the history of the Turkish people - a final surge in the defence of the motherland as the aging Ottoman Empire was crumbling. The struggle laid the grounds for the Turkish War of Independence and the foundation of the Republic of Turkey eight years later under Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, himself a commander at Gallipoli.

The campaign was the first major battle undertaken in the war by Australia and New Zealand with the rule of British Empire. Because of this Turkish people never saw ANZACs as an enemy. There's one more point about this issue, in todays Gelibolu (Gallipoli) there's a memorial about them in a cove which took its name from these croops, ANZAC Cove. This memorial includes Mustafa Kemal Atatürk's words for them.

Attaturkswords5.jpg

There're a lot of similar memorials around the (former) British Commonwealth countries about this issue but (I think) most important one are located in Canberra/AUS and Wellington/NZ, they both includes same words of Atatürk.
*Mehmet is a common name (or nickname) for Turkish soldiers.

1fc4ba6e0af51fa31795b04efed3fc42.jpg

oh08027005.jpg

Atatürk Memorial in New Zealand (above).

Kemal_Atat%C3%BCrk_Memorial_Canberra_2007.JPG

Atatürk Memorial in Australia.

If you read the words of Atatürk above, you may understand the meaning of this statue. " A Turkish soldier carrying injured and ANZAC soldier.

0250.jpg

In this context I want to give expression to Atatürk's and our martyr's gratitude. As I grandchild of a Independence War martyr, I'm sharing the pain of ANZAC soldiers' families.

I think this was one of the interesting wars that finished respectfully and gave way to a friendship between Turkish people, Australians and New Zealanders.

Seanz

AN awesome post my friend. I use to spent a lot of time at the Ataturk memorial in wellington. Though i think every town in new zealand , some not even towns have a memorial to the fallen from that beach

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I don't knoe about Gallipoli but I do remember Korea. The small UN contingent of Turks were greatly feared my the north Korean and Chinese soldiers. It seams one of the north soldiers had the audacity to kill a Turk. That night a group of Turks slipped into the enemy line and quietly cut a lot of throats. No one of the raiding party was even seen much less caught. After that the north soldiers gave the Turks a WIDE berth. So If you wanted to relax and party for one night, grab a couple bottles of something hard and go visit. It was party time with no fear of shells or bullets and a damned good time too. (Never did figure out where they got goat.)

istanbulin

Founding Member
I don't want to mention any political issue here, this topic is already for healing some wounds of innocent people who are forced into the middle of the war and rememberance their admiration to eachother.

I know Korean War through my uncle, he was in the army those days and he refused join the group which was going to Korea. He said "What I'll be fighting for ? I'm not in" to his officer. Yes, Turkish soldiers fought legendary, everyone says this - true. But Turkish soldiers was one of the "ANZACs" of the Korean War. There're still Korean War veterans alive, I met a lot of them. Most of them forced to join and are not proud of being a Korean War veteran. Nowadays, the veterans don't want to talk about the war. Actually we should do the same here.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I don't want to mention any political issue here, this topic is already for healing some wounds of innocent people who are forced into the middle of the war and rememberance their admiration to eachother.

I know Korean War through my uncle, he was in the army those days and he refused join the group which was going to Korea. He said "What I'll be fighting for ? I'm not in" to his officer. Yes, Turkish soldiers fought legendary, everyone says this - true. But Turkish soldiers was one of the "ANZACs" of the Korean War. There're still Korean War veterans alive, I met a lot of them. Most of them forced to join and are not proud of being a Korean War veteran. Nowadays, the veterans don't want to talk about the war. Actually we should do the same here.
Agreed. Just fond memories of great guys.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Honor to all the fallen. May the day come when the leaders who start the war, fight the war.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Agreed. Just fond memories of great guys.

Thank you John, you're a living part of that history. I watched and read a lot of documentaries about Korea, all American soldiers were talking about Turkish soldiers and their bravery. Please do not take my words above personal, I just set the aim of the thread.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thank you John, you're a living part of that history. I watched and read a lot of documentaries about Korea, all American soldiers were talking about Turkish soldiers and their bravery. Please do not take my words above personal, I just set the aim of the thread.
No worries Emere

Status
Not open for further replies.