Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DGBAMA first grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
definitely one I was worried about as River was one of my first choices to grow. I overseeded on purpose to compensate for the expected low germination based on multiple posts about this variety being hard to start and have been rewarded generously. Thank you for the seed.
Please remember to bag a couple of blossoms for next years seed.

DGBAMA

Please remember to bag a couple of blossoms for next years seed.

no doubt. Knucks gave me a sample of some SR leaf, and I really enjoyed it. If mine turns out half as good I look forward to being able to contribute some fresh seed to others for next season. My growing area is really small so I will have multiple plots at different "borrowed" locations, hopefully one for each variety plus bagging the strongest couple plants of each type.

DGBAMA

starting my move of sprouts to trays. This is a side by side comparison of the SilverRiver started 14 days ago. the "mini greenhouse vs paper towel methods. Seeds started at exactly the same time. The ones in the starting mix are almost twice the size and definitely greener/healthier.

IMG_20130414_101957_983[1].jpg

IMG_20130414_101939_434[1].jpg

Lakota

Founding Member
I did the same experiment and came to the same conclusion, this was my first and last time with the paper towels. My soil grow is a much stronger seedling.

DGBAMA

A couple pics of todays work, transplanting from bulk germination trays to individual cells:

IMG_20130414_172521_916[1].jpg
IMG_20130414_172552_821[1].jpg

neither variety of VA Gold seed I have are yet to germinate in satisfactory quantity to transfer to trays. Starting a second germination attempt for both.

What is doing good:
Silver River
YTB
Lonnie's Havannah
Yaladang
Bursa
Izmir

DGBAMA

One note worth sharing about the different varieties:
Of the ones started two weeks ago, all but one had "tap roots" already about 1.5" long and were starting to intertangle making separating and replanting difficult.

The one which did not is "Lonnie's Havannah" rooting approximately 3/4". It is counter-intuitive but this variety is the one that was first to germinate and appeared to have the HEALTHIEST seedlings!!! Replanting was easy here.

Too early to tell how this will play out, but seems to indicate a different type of root system which would make this variety extremely suitable for people with shallow topsoil/pots/minimal ability to till their soil to deeper depths.

No seedlings from the paper towel starting were transferred, due to seeming inferrior to those started in soil. The seedlings from the towels were transferred to the bulk trays and will be maintained to replace any transplants in the individual cells that do not make it.

DGBAMA

Notes to myself to remember next year:

The Turkish & Bursa had only been sprouted fo 4 days and were much easier to handle, separate, and transplant than the others which had been sprouted for 8-10 days. Exception being Lonnie's Havannah.

Paper towel starting: effective but seedling quality seems to suffer vs. starting mix. May try again, but suspect nutrient defeciency as the cause so will add a small amount of miracle grow to the water used to saturate the paper towels used for germination and consider it an experiment until improved results are seen.

I liked the 8x8 covered trays with only 3/4" of starting soil better than the smaller deeper trays with about 2" of soil. Easier to separate seedlings.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I liked the 8x8 covered trays with only 3/4" of starting soil better than the smaller deeper trays with about 2" of soil. Easier to separate seedlings.
I like the plastic 1 qt. Chinese take out boxes. They have their own plastic covers which are almost air tight.

DGBAMA

In my mind a big moment..........17 days from seeding, I have first true leaves starting to show. Still only about half the size of the "seed leaves" but leaves just the same. Exciting stuff for a new grower. And all of my seedling transplants seem to be doing well since their move to cells on sunday. Transplanting such small starts really did make me nervous about plant mortality.

I am currently propping up the tray lids during the day to allow airflow and putting them down at night to conserve moisture temperature. The lids have a bit of condensation in the morning after being closed all night and are dry in the afternoon. Is this a good balance of moisture?

Question: How much water do you keep in your starting trays?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Question: How much water do you keep in your starting trays?

I'm using the 48 cell trays that are divided up into 4 cell sections. I pull out a 4 cell section and pour in about a half gallon of water. When the top of the soil begins to feel much less moist ( I don't let it get dry) I'll add more water.

DGBAMA

A couple pics from 04/24, As I did not get to update last week.

IMG_20130424_073554_684[1].jpg

Of 4 72cell trays, hve one start looking funny.
IMG_20130424_073619_624[1].jpg

DGBAMA

Was in Texas all last week, spent sunday adding a little extra soil to each of the cells that had settled. Seems they have overcome transplant shock, and are getting over their "dormancy period" quite well.

Amazing how much they changed in just the week I was away from home.

IMG_20130505_101308_162[1].jpg

IMG_20130505_101314_123[1].jpg

IMG_20130505_201915_516[1].jpg

BarG

Founding Member
Lonnies Havana reminds me of my MCX, So I have been labeling it as Havana LX. Those trays and seedlings are cool. Real uniform looking.
[Wheres Lonnie? hes getting baccy named after him.]

Ashauler

Founding Member
Lonnies Havana reminds me of my MCX, So I have been labeling it as Havana LX. Those trays and seedlings are cool. Real uniform looking.
[Wheres Lonnie? hes getting baccy named after him.]
I think I remember that guy from HTGT. ;)

Fisherman

Nice seedling Mr D.
I do not know how I missed your grow blog this long!
Love those mini greenhouses and your commitment on keeping strains organized.

DGBAMA

Two weeks ago, "transplant dormant" sprouts were like watching paint dry, now it seems I can almost see them growing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.