Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

DGBAMA first grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainmax

Founding Member
I did the same experiment and came to the same conclusion, this was my first and last time with the paper towels. My soil grow is a much stronger seedling.

I came to the same conclusion.

Notes to myself to remember next year:

The Turkish & Bursa had only been sprouted fo 4 days and were much easier to handle, separate, and transplant than the others which had been sprouted for 8-10 days. Exception being Lonnie's Havannah.

Paper towel starting: effective but seedling quality seems to suffer vs. starting mix. May try again, but suspect nutrient defeciency as the cause so will add a small amount of miracle grow to the water used to saturate the paper towels used for germination and consider it an experiment until improved results are seen.

I liked the 8x8 covered trays with only 3/4" of starting soil better than the smaller deeper trays with about 2" of soil. Easier to separate seedlings.

Great info. Nice grow log. Good luck.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
so true,,,starting seeds, is the most difficult part of a grow,

but once mastered, it's a piece of cake,

we all have our own ways, i like mine using the VERMICULITE...

but as youve shown,. thiers many ways to do it,

Fisherman

Two weeks ago, "transplant dormant" sprouts were like watching paint dry, now it seems I can almost see them growing. :)

I used to keep lites on all 24/7 and they grew wild. But when I finally started turning them off a little is when roots did the most growing as watching growth thru flat bottom would show.

DGBAMA

Just a weekly update. Growing well. Not as dark green as I would like, suspect my window location may not be providing enough sunlight. May need to add a flourescent over them?
Seeing the day/night behavior from them already. Daytime the leaves are spread out widely and at night they "close up" to a more upright vertical position.

Silver river on the left, bursa and Havannah on the right.
IMG_20130512_124654_533[1].jpg

Turkish Izmir. Looking really nice, stems thickening and looking strong.
IMG_20130512_124713_611[1].jpg

DGBAMA

A long afternoon, after spending the weekend pressure washing the house and the "honey do list". Transplanted to 9oz cups, and set up lights. hopefully they will reward me for my effort this week. little guys should be happy in their new spaces.

looking a little overgrown and "leggy"
IMG_20130519_122233_050[1].jpg

cups ready for transplanting. I originally was going to use a mix of my own garden soil, sphagnum peat moss, and miracle grow potting soil for this transplant. The "BAACTO" peat bag was really cheap, and the soil is finely screened and seems like a mix of peat moss and high organic loam type soil. It will take enough water to feel damp, drip a little if you squeeze a handful, and not be "muddy" at the same time; Almost like an organic sponge. A pleasure to work with and depending on how the plants like it will be used for a starting mix next year too.
IMG_20130519_183120_522[1].jpg

The improvized work station.
IMG_20130519_184056_169[1].jpg

They should be much better now. Stole two lights from my garage and put together an improvised frame. Only question I have is are they too high above the plants?
IMG_20130519_222450_768[1].jpg

The clear cups should allow me to monitor both soil moisture and root growth. If they take well to the new environment I expect to be giving a haircut next weekend.
IMG_20130519_222609_777[1].jpg

Finally got germination on some VA Gold this week too. Hopefully not too late for them to catch up.

workhorse_01

There's plenty of time for the Va.Gold we have a very long growing season. Last year I was in such a hurry to see the plants catch up to the other guys, but when all was said and done our season kept on going even when the northern states were getting cold.

DGBAMA

Is there a cure for bolting plants?I left my starts alone for a couple days and they decided to shoot for the moon. Seem to be getting tall too quickly.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You could try trimming the leaves and lowering the lights. When do you plan to plant?

DonH

Is there a cure for bolting plants?I left my starts alone for a couple days and they decided to shoot for the moon. Seem to be getting tall too quickly.

Take the trays outside and give them some sun. Start slow and work your way up so they don't get burned.

DGBAMA

Thanks, since transplanting to cups and adding flourescents over them they have been growing bonkers. I was fine with it until they started "reaching out". I am behind with my planting areas, they really need to be in the ground I think. After planting to cups, my leftover plants still in the cell trays were simply left outdoors; they have gotten a darker green and not grown so much. Simply amazing how much they can grow in a day or two. Stems are thickening and getting stronger, so I do feel like they are doing well.

from 5/25, 6 days after planting to cups. Root growth has exploded too, in only 5 days, already seeing roots out to the edge of the cups, a few all the way to the bottom. (clear cups)
IMG_20130525_153333_423[1].jpg

from 5/29, with the growth spurt
IMG_20130530_220606_923[1].jpg
IMG_20130530_220822_635[1].jpg

If I cant get them in the ground this week, I at least need to give them a safe place outdoors in natural light I think.

DGBAMA

Wow! I have to get some of that Baccto soil! That's awesome.

The transplant went well obviously.

"Baccto" is the brand, co=op has several different types. I got the one labeled "peat", not the topsoil or potting; black bag. My intent was to mix "peat" with some of my own soil for cup planting. On opening the bags, I found it to be what feels and acts like a mix of peat, vermiculite, and riverloam. Finely screened, no bark chips or large pieces of organic matter so I filled the cups straight from the bag, no mixing. Stuff acts like a sponge, holds moisture well and distributes evenly throughout the cups. Stays evenly dampened from the top of the cup to the bottom.

I am using a 2gal pump sprayer for watering; per 2 gal of water, 1/2tsp miracle grow, 1tsp powdered KNO3 fertilizer, 1/2tsp epsom salts.

workhorse_01

I looked everywhere here for it but couldn't find it. I ended up with a product I've used before called Jungle growth. I mixed two cups Miricle Gro potting soil with one cup Jungle Growth and man o man my plants took to it. I had to wash the plant roots apart as four per cell wove them together. When I transplanted them into individual cups bare root they never wilted full sun all day. Of course they've been in full sun two weeks. I'm sold!

DGBAMA

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I think every gardener has their own version of"snake oil".

AmaxB

"Jungle Growth" that's catchie
I looked everywhere here for it but couldn't find it. I ended up with a product I've used before called Jungle growth. I mixed two cups Miricle Gro potting soil with one cup Jungle Growth and man o man my plants took to it. I had to wash the plant roots apart as four per cell wove them together. When I transplanted them into individual cups bare root they never wilted full sun all day. Of course they've been in full sun two weeks. I'm sold!

DGBAMA

them plants are ready for the ground.

I know right...........just have not had time to get my ground ready for them.

I did finally get my VA gold seedlings separated into cells today and snuck a half dozen of my Silver Rivers that were surplus from transplanting into cups into the bare spots in my wife's flowerbed in front of the house. At least I can now say I have plants in the ground.

DGBAMA

last couple weeks has been crazy with housework, putting new siding on the house. having to neglect the Baccy a bit to keep the missus happy.

before:
IMG_20130526_104220_023[1].jpg

after:
IMG_20130602_163905_339[1].jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.