Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

93rdCanadian

What is a good Pipe tobacco, that I could go into about any store and find?

Captain Black White is not bad for a drug store pipe tobacco. For aromatics and English blends to get something nice you really have to go online or find a good tobacconist.

DonH

Personally, I wouldn't mess with any of the ones that you can buy in any store, but then I've never tried those brands. Since I have made enough pipe tobacco from whole leaf to last many months at a very low cost, whenever I buy pipe tobacco at a store I buy the good stuff. The reason is I am sampling different blends to get an idea of what I should be aiming for in my homemade. For that you have to go to a tobacconist. Most of the tins I've bought have been made by either Mac Baren or Petersons. And the price isn't that high, it comes out to about the same as a pack of commercial cigarettes to get an ounce of fine pipe tobacco. You can order it for less on the Internet but then it ends up costing the same because of shipping charges and I like to support the local brick and mortars.

Seanz

Down here its either erinmore or borkum riff. Not good if ya smoke english style blends. To support my government i buy erinmore and to please my taste buds i go online to http://4noggins.com and work my way through their stock.
I reckon it all depends on what floats your boat. At the moment i have a press full of tobacco that was inspired by posts by DonH And deluxstoogie It smell devine and i am champing to get some.

SmokeStack

I have found that it can be difficult to find a tobacco shop that sells the premium, top-notch blends. I agree with Seanz in that 4noggins.com is a good source of tobaccos. I have purchased most of my collection from 4noggins. If I may make some recommendations:

• For a good Virginia, try Marlin Flake by Rattray's
  • For a good Burley, try Burley Slice by Wessex
  • For a good English, try Margate by Esoterica (but this is hard to come by lately), an alternative is Squadron Leader by Samuel Gawith
  • Red Rapparree (by Rattray's), 656 Aged Burley Flake (by Solani), Golden Sliced (by Orlik), 965 (by Dunhill) and Scottish Flake (by Robert McConnell) are all worth trying.

I try to stay away from "drug store blends" although Carter Hall is not a bad Burley blend. I can't recommend an aromatic since I do not like flavored tobacco. Also, another good website is pipeandcigars.com. They have a very large selection of pipe tobaccos.

I have not smoked much of the commercially available since I started making my own pipe tobacco from whole leaf. I can custom tailor and blend my pipe mixtures to my satisfaction. I have found that creating my own custom blends is very rewarding. But I still smoke the commercially available good stuff - some of them are outstanding and difficult to reproduce.

Tnturkey

Thanks for all the information. Looks like there is more to Pipe tobacco than meets the eye. LOL

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Then there's the simpler side. I rarely smoke a blend in my pipe. I like sigle varieties of home grown. I smoke it all in the pipe but my favorites are BSS-Maden, Bursa, Silver River, my cigarette blend and the Virginia Red Leaf I just got in from www.wholeleaftobacco.com. That's the website of FmGrowit, or Don, or Possum, the founder of this site and our exalted leader.

SmokeStack

Knucklehead, I find myself smoking a lot of single varieties (especially those that I have grown) and there's nothing wrong with that. I lightly toast most of my flue cured Virginia Bright Leaf and Burleys; it really helps to bring the bite. Occasionally I will add a little Latakia. I have seen some commercial blends that advertize on their tins "consists of a marriage of 7 different Virginia tobaccos." I am wondering if it may be a marketing ploy more than anything else. In fact, I am curious myself and I am tempted to buy a tin.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have seen some commercial blends that advertize on their tins "consists of a marriage of 7 different Virginia tobaccos." I am wondering if it may be a marketing ploy more than anything else. In fact, I am curious myself and I am tempted to buy a tin.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it probably is a mareting ploy as you've suggested. They probably cannot get enough high quality leaf to make a big batch of tobacco so instead, they were able to get 7 different crappy tobaccos and with some creative thinking..."a marriage of 7 different Virginia tobaccos"

istanbulin

Founding Member
A good pipe tobacco is pure Bitlis to me :) I don't know if Don still has some of it but if so buy and try or grow your own.

leverhead

I got 5 seedlings bitlis and reseeded more today. Halleleuia! [Thanks leverhead]

You're very welcome! You, istanbilin and I are all working off one packet of seed! I've got 36 surviving seedlings. The three of us need to post pictures of them at maturity.

DonH

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it probably is a mareting ploy as you've suggested. They probably cannot get enough high quality leaf to make a big batch of tobacco so instead, they were able to get 7 different crappy tobaccos and with some creative thinking..."a marriage of 7 different Virginia tobaccos"

I don't know, but those blends that advertise lots of types of Virginia really taste good. So they definitely aren't 7 crappy varieties. Plus they may be including Dark Air in the Virginia category. I mean between flue cured and dark air types, I just started seven varieties yesterday.

SmokeStack

A good pipe tobacco is pure Bitlis to me :) I don't know if Don still has some of it but if so buy and try or grow your own.

Istanbulin I have some Bitlis that I purchased a short while back. It is still in the original vacuum sealed bag. I think it's time to open the bag and pack a bowl. I enjoy smoking Tombac alone or with a pinch of Latakia. Toasted Burleys smoke well alone also.

SmokeStack

I don't know, but those blends that advertise lots of types of Virginia really taste good. So they definitely aren't 7 crappy varieties. Plus they may be including Dark Air in the Virginia category. I mean between flue cured and dark air types, I just started seven varieties yesterday.

Don, I think the Virginia's in this blend are most likely high quality. The blend to which I am referring is Dunbar by Esoterica. Esoterica produces some of the best pipe tobacco on the market. I think that I will order a tin and see for myself. I will post my assessment.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Istanbulin I have some Bitlis that I purchased a short while back. It is still in the original vacuum sealed bag. I think it's time to open the bag and pack a bowl. I enjoy smoking Tombac alone or with a pinch of Latakia. Toasted Burleys smoke well alone also.

As I see it, you like strong tobaccos :). Bitlis is a little strong for me but taste is excellent in pipe. But you may find it milder (?).

istanbulin

Founding Member
You're very welcome! You, istanbilin and I are all working off one packet of seed! I've got 36 surviving seedlings. The three of us need to post pictures of them at maturity.

I agree. I think we may carry it one step further with a good cooperation, posting all interesting info and photos about it in a single thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.