Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

OK, I'll be first to post on suncuring !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Banned
I have not found the nerve to even attempt sun curing yet. But am starting to think that may be the only way to go with my Bursa. i am stalk harvesting it for now as each stalk appears to be ready. Hanging in my shop for a week the top ends are still very green with little to no sign of yellowing. The Virgina Bright Leaf has been nearly as difficult. We started by priming a hand full of leaves. many of those dried green so we switched to stalk harvesting. Those are dong much better.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If you have the room to stalk cure, I'd cure the Bursa on the stalk. I don't know why, but it just seems to make a better smoke that way...and it's a heck of a lot easier than stringing.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
hanging stalks

FmGrowit....
can you give a little more detail on stalk curing of turkish?
hang them is sun or shelter? stalk-sun-cure?
hang until dry and brown? or
can they be hung until yellowing, then finished with sun cure? (on warmer sunny days)

I've tried stalk curing before, and wasn't happy about results, but I was a 1st year real amateur then.

I'll be pushing frost/freeze in October with my 2nd crop of turkish, and may be forced to stalk cure some. Will have to make room in the garage.

I know I'll have to keep them out of freezing temps until fully dry.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I stalk cured my Bursa in a corn crib. Then waited until a cool foggy December day to strip the stalks after the stems were bone dry, but with the leaf in case. It was better than the primed and strung Bursa in my opinion.

Daniel

Banned
I don't think we could string the leaves of Bursa if we wanted to . We grew them very close together and even the large leaves are pretty small. Some of the plants did manage to get over 6 feet tall though. We are making room and will stalk cure all of it.

BarG

Founding Member
That's what I have done this year the wire was 17 gauge Aluminum wire it was 19 bucks for 1/4 mile and 4.59 for 250 feet.
at Home Depot.
That's whats in my avatar and in this picture.

1hu05.jpg

And here

ZLpn5.jpg

All these leaves are nice and brown now.
The wire aint got nothin to do with the way those leaves look.

BarG

Founding Member
The wire i use i can poke through any thing. When I cut it hold your cutter at an angle to make a sharper point. I can run it through the thinnest of stems and hold 20 lugs without to much sag. A thin stem usualy means a small leaf which means more work for less gain for lower leaves or flyers. I been laying them to cure in my aereated trays.

However , what are the best way to hang and cure the tops for your favorite cigars? You know those small special leaves.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im still in the experiment phase of my first real attempt, at sun drying,

im drying ottoman, and bursa, i got some if after it browned, placed in nylon bags, and green leaf turning brown, in a plastic, '' bread carrier''

>>
prime002.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-07-15
//
prime003.jpg

By chickenhawk434 at 2012-07-15

depending on how this turns out,,,, i may try to stalk cure it next year,

BarG

Founding Member
What do you use to post your pics.

Mine aren't like that!

If you were in louisiana i would say that looked like a jumbalya!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
What do you use to post your pics.

Mine aren't like that!

If you were in louisiana i would say that looked like a jumbalya!

i use IMAGESHACK,.com

it's free to join, you can have a max of 500 free pics. i have 2 accounts, '' iii's got's mo than 500 pictures,''

just upload them there, and then copy them here, and they turn out big enough to see them

>

Status
Not open for further replies.