Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Doughnuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Last night I had a dream I was a kid back on the farm eating Aunt Mary's doughnuts. So this morning for the first time in ~60 years I made honest to God deep fried doughnuts. No, they didn't come close to my memories of Aunt Mary's masterpieces but they were damn good. We kids were not allowed doughnuts.
We had to eat the holes. No parent would DARE touch a hole. (Deep law of nature.) One of the mysteries of life that my cousins and I never have figured is how three dozen doughnuts made six dozen holes. Ah Well.

I wonder, Will 8 doughnuts before 7 AM give you a belly ache? (Experiment in progress) Got a lot of holes around this morning. Know any kids?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
What's the recipe? I make them out of canned biscuits.
Simple as can be. I used the recipe off the net at cooks.com. They were a little heavy for my taste so I looked around and it's as easy to fix as adding more baking powder. These are not raised donughnuts. If you are into Dunkin' Doughnuts airy stuff you won't like them. These are old fashioned "sinkers". I believe they were called that cause they sink when dropped into hot fat and rise to the top as they cook.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You should try the canned biscuits. They're fairly "airy". I make the glaze from milk and powdered sugar.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yeah, I use Pillsbury. Cut or tear a hole in the middle, fry in oil until light brown, and make a glaze from powdered sugar and milk (watch the milk, don't get it too runny). Tastes great, and very simple. They'll float when done. You can do it in a skillet and turn them instead of a deep fryer. Uses less oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.