Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Got a pipe in the mail today......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnturkey

It's a Kaywoodie, does anyone know where I can get a new stem for it? It is a Super Grain with a Black clover leaf on the stem. I bought it for $7.00 On the opposite side of Kaywoodie it has the number 12 on the side of the shaft that the stem screws into.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Is this the kind that has a metal stinger? If so your best bet would be to hit a pipe show, there are lots of guys that sell "junk" pipes for about a dollar. Buy one and use the pipe stem.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Kaywoodie and Dr. Grabow are inexpensively produced pipes that were routinely sold from counter displays in every drug store in America. If you got one that smoked well, then it was a good pipe. I'm not sure, but I believe they were the top selling pipes in the country for a couple of decades. They were the Chevy and Ford of pipes.

Bob

Tnturkey

Is there any way to tell how old this pipe is? After some research on this pipe, it appear the Stinger has had the bulb cut off.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Kaywoodie and Dr. Grabow are inexpensively produced pipes that were routinely sold from counter displays in every drug store in America. If you got one that smoked well, then it was a good pipe. I'm not sure, but I believe they were the top selling pipes in the country for a couple of decades. They were the Chevy and Ford of pipes.

Bob
Exactly right Bob. I smoked a pipe some 50 years ago and those were the preferred pipe of the masses. I remember taking a rotary wire brush and "cleaning out" the bowel before first burn. Most of the readily available pipe tobaccos then bit the tongue badly. It's why gave up pipes. I found one Scottish blend that came in little medallions that had to be rubbed out to smoke. I don't remember the name. When it was discontinued at my tobacconist I switched to cigars..

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yes I believe it is. Is Kaywoodie a Junk Pipe?

JBD wasn't referring to your pipe. He was saying you can buy "parts pipes" for a dollar or two. Like buying parts for your car at a junk yard doesn't make your car a junk car. I learned to spot translate yankee a few years ago, though I'm not what you would call fluent. It's an acquired skill.

Tnturkey

LOL, I was just wondering, because I know nothing about pipes. Man I think I have fell into another hobby.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Check out "Estate pipes" on ebay. It will help you get a feel for the flea market deals. Get to know the pipes that bring several hundred dollars and watch for deals on the ones folks don't know what they have. Could be a profitable hobby if your careful and do your research. There's pretty good money in restoring estate pipes and alot of really good pipe makers got their start that way.

DonH

Looking at them now, can you suggest some name I should be on the lookout for?
If you see a Dunhill in a flea market, grab it. With easy internet access and Ebay and all that, it's harder to find those great bargains, though.

I learned which ones were more valuable just by following auctions on Ebay. I learned there are quite a few that I can't afford.

Tnturkey

Yeah it looks like anything with Dunhill is way out of my price range. What is going on with the 2 or 3 dollar pipes with over 3,000 dollars shipping on them. and some people are bidding on them. Do they not see what the shipping is, or is something else going on I am not aware of.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yeah it looks like anything with Dunhill is way out of my price range. What is going on with the 2 or 3 dollar pipes with over 3,000 dollars shipping on them. and some people are bidding on them. Do they not see what the shipping is, or is something else going on I am not aware of.

Dunhill's on ebay will be out of your price range. The suggestion was to learn the prices and watch for the deals at the flea markets. Then clean them up, or restain them, put on a new stem, etc. Then turn around and sell them. You'll also be learning what separates the good pipes from the bad pipes and gaining a few skills you'll need if you ever start making your own. Alot of them will just need a good cleaning and polishing and will look almost new.

Seanz

Thanks guys I will post a better pic of it one day , might through them all up. And Todd I scored it off trade me There is always a good one on there ya just gotta beat the other too them

Status
Not open for further replies.