Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to rainmax, I now have seed for two Macedonian Prilep varieties:
  • Prilep P66-9/7
  • Prilep P79-94
All those numbers, dashes and slashes are important in name of the variety!

Prilep is an Oriental, closely related to Xanthi Yaka. So far as I can determine, Prilep as a variety was intentionally developed (in the 1930s) in the town of Prilep, and currently accounts for most of the tobacco production of Macedonia.

Prilep is widely used as an Oriental component in cigarettes. It is reportedly more aromatic than Xanthi.

I have started germination of the two Prilep varieties, have retained some seed of each, and have already forwarded seed for each to the FTT seed bank on Maks' behalf.

Curiously, in searching widely for information on Prilep tobacco, I found a brief and easy to read article discussing Prilep P66-9/7 specifically -- one of the two that I have. It was developed in the past 20 years, and is reported to be superb in both productivity and quality.

Some excerpts:
...transplanted at 45 cm spacing between rows and 15 cm within the row. [~18" x 6"]

The Prilep 66-9/7 variety was included in the list of newly recognized domestic agricultural crops in 2004.

Prilep_P66-9_7.jpg

Plants are ellipsoid-conic in shape, with height average of 65-75 cm [25.6-29.5"], depending on conditions of growing and applied cultural practices. The stalk is relatively thin and strong. Average leaf number of leaves is 52 and they are uniformly distributed on the stem. Average size is in the limits of 18 - 22 cm [7-8.7"] for the largest leaf, 16-18 cm [6.3-7"] for the middle and 8 - 10 [3.1-3.9"] for the top leaves. Inflorescence is relatively small, moderately to tightly condensed, semi-oval in shape.

Prilep 66-9/7 is suitable for growing at loose, light and drained soils, with poor supply of nutrient elements, showing especially good results under irrigation conditions. The variety also achieves good yields and quality in soils with medium supply of nutrients, where no possibilities for irrigation exist, yielding small-leaf aromatic and substantial tobacco typical for the type Prilep. Intensive raining during the growing period can lead to some increase of lower middle leaves, but it doesn't affect the quality of tobacco.

The first leaves ripe about 40 days after transplanting, and the total period to the end of maturation of top leaves is 115 - 120 days. Majority of leaves are ripening simultaneously. Tobacco is primed in 6 to 7 hands, picking 5-8 leaves together. The variety is resistant to blue mold and bassara [sic] disease, and tolerant to viruses.

...nicotine 1.0 % (irrigated) - 2.30 % (non-irrigated)...

During smoking, this tobacco is medium in strength, with full and sweetish taste and strongly expressed, intensive aroma.

Prilep 66-9/7 achieves higher productivity than the existing commercialized varieties and it is suitable for obtaining a standard, authentic and high-quality raw of tobacco type Prilep.

http://www.diagnosisp.com/dp/journals/view_pdf.php?journal_id=1&archive=1&issue_id=27&article_id=931

I will, of course, report my experience with both Prilep varieties this year in my grow log. Thanks again to rainmax.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Those are some beautiful plants from an aesthetic standpoint. Did you notice how thick the seed bags are? They look like tee shirts or something similar. I had thought light needed to pass through. Perhaps I was wrong about that. A six week grow period is also interesting. Thank you for your research. Thanks for the seed Maks.

istanbulin

Founding Member
...Did you notice how thick the seed bags are? They look like tee shirts or something similar. I had thought light needed to pass through. ...

Seeds pods don't need a lot of sunlight. Actually this is same with how farmers bagged the flowers in Turkey. They generally use unbleached (raw) cotton woven fabrics. I know you'll think rain may be problem. But an unbleached cotton fabric is totally hydrophobic, because of the waxes on the fibers it never absorbs even a drop of water.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Bob- YOU MUST BE STOPPED!.... Every year I say this will be the last year I grow a lot of different varieties ( last year was 16, this year is 14). I HAD PLANNED on growing 4 varieties next year and along comes Prileb....ok, so next year it's 5 varieties for me and no more..:rolleyes:

Good article by the way!

leverhead

Bob- YOU MUST BE STOPPED!.... Every year I say this will be the last year I grow a lot of different varieties ( last year was 16, this year is 14). I HAD PLANNED on growing 4 varieties next year and along comes Prileb....ok, so next year it's 5 varieties for me and no more..:rolleyes:

Good article by the way!

What good is an addiction you can control?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I think they're beautiful, they seem exciting and they should fit in Swedish snus. I should be very interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.