Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Aaron's 2013 Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

It's time to get my own log started for this season. So far I've started 18 varieties and I'm planning on planting at least six of each. I may end up with another 4-5 varieties soon also.

Variety List:

KY8635
Harrow Velvet
Yellow Twist Bud
Burley Jupiter
Oxford 207
White Mammoth
Silver River
Chilean
Smyrna
Bursa
Little Dutch
Wisconsin 901
Bolivian Black
Maryland 609
Catterton
Maryland
Rustica
Unknown strain/Penrose

I should have some some signs of life in a couple days and I'll try to post a picture then. I'm really looking forward to this years grow and I'm glad to finally step through the starting gate. In addition to all the baccy; I'm going to make my first attempt at growing a bunch of herbs a vegetables this year too, so I expect a busy summer for myself. :D

Aaron

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's quite a list. Good luck on your season my friend. That's going to give your pipe rotation quite a workout just sampling all those. :)

squeezyjohn

Best of luck - that is a lot of different varieties!

I'm particularly intrigued by Oxford 207 - I'd never seen it before! I presume the Oxford it's referring to is not the one I live 4 miles from?

Cheers

Squeezy

Aaron

Best of luck - that is a lot of different varieties!

I'm particularly intrigued by Oxford 207 - I'd never seen it before! I presume the Oxford it's referring to is not the one I live 4 miles from?

Cheers

Squeezy

Nope, not the Oxford there. This one is developed by North Carolina State University is a cross between Coker 371 and K 399. I chose this one for its resistance to bacterial wilts. I had something mess with my White Mammoth last year that caused some nasty wilting. If it happens again I'll see if the Oxford 207 fairs better.

squeezyjohn

Well - my last years grow and the experiences I have heard from other UK growers tell me that we don't have quite the same level of tobacco plant pests that you can suffer from in the US (no hornworms here!) - even if our climate is fairly marginal for tobacco growing.

I think I will look in to the Oxford 207 just for the name. It's nice to have a variety ultimately named after the town near me where the River Thames just happened to be shallow enough to drive cattle across the natural ford (Ox = Cattle as beasts of burden)

I think names are incredibly important - especially place names here where they all mean something very literal about the place. Even if the names are in old languages like Viking Norse, Anglo-Saxon or Celtic. Fortunately ox and ford still make sense in current English.

Aaron

If you decide you would like to try some you can PM me your address and I'd be happy to send you a few.

Aaron

Wow time flies when you are having fun. I've been neglecting this log for a while now and it's time for an update. Most of my plants are doing good. They look much healthier than the seedlings I grew last year. I had a couple varieties that had to be reseeded, which were Harrow Velvet and Oxford 207. My second seeding of those are coming along better and I'm hoping they'll be ready to put in after I get all the others planted. I tried to make a video of some of the projects I've been working on lately that have been keeping me so busy.

Thanks for watching.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.