Isleta Pueblo
Baiano
Shirey
One Sucker
Bursa
Black Sea Samsun
Silver River
Big Gem

It's a lot of varieties, I know. But I want to save seed this year and experiment with different types. and I only grew three varieties last year, so...

I used two 72 cell seed starting trays and to keep things simple and easy to track I used one square of 9 cells for each variety. I got a Hydrofarm Jump Start 4 foot grow light stand and a couple of tray warmers. I tried to put 3 seeds in each cell, but sometimes exceeded that.

DonH

Nice do those lamps actually make things happen faster?
I don't know. They're just fluorescents with different spectrums not high pressure sodiums or anything. I think for just starting seeds before the weather gets warm enough to get them outside that plain old fluorescents would work fine.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
using those amount of trays,,, per variety, as long as you seeded, each tray hole good, you'll have plenty of plants,

good selection,

DonH

Everything's germinated now 6 days later. The quickest was the Rustica (of course), followed by the Flue Cured and the slowest were the Dark Air varieties. Interesting how the different varieties germinate at different rates.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i feel your pain, im looking at my empty holes thinking thier should be some green growth there by now,

i dont have any heating mats,,, but i know they help immenssly, ive used them in the past, i really need to have some before next years grow,

DonH

Way past time to update the grow blog. The seedlings did well, for the most part. Or, the ones that did well did very well. I started 144 plants and ended up with about half being extremely vigorous. Which is good because I don't have room for over 100 plants and I'm getting some more from BigBonner. So I have about 78 seedlings which look amazing. This is what they look like today.

IMG_0372.jpgIMG_0371.jpg

Here they are two weeks ago:

IMG_0361.jpg

Three weeks ago, after moving them from the 72 cell trays:

IMG_0355.jpg

5 weeks ago under a light stand I bought on Amazon that worked really well. It has one 4ft T5 bulb but it was enough light for two trays. Low wattage, too.

IMG_0354.jpg

Most of the loss of seedlings came from some weird thing where overnight a healthy seedling would get cut right where the stem meets the root. This happened several times to neighboring plants, so I think it was an insect. In the winter, New England has had an infestation of what we call stink bugs, but they're not really stink bugs. I forgot their real name, but I saw some lurking around the light stand and think they might have gotten some of the plants. A few of them just grew stunted, so I think starting twice as many plants as you need is a good idea. The problem was that it hit some varieties worse than others. I only have one stunted Shirey left. Also, the Kelly Burleys ended up mostly stunted as well. Might be more of a problem with some of the older heirloom types.

I expanded my plots a bit compared to last year. Here is a picture from two weeks ago of my plots before I plowed under the cover crop of red clover I planted last fall.

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

You can see the area of expansion around the clover. I've expanded the one plot even more since this was taken. I also added another small plot where we grew green beans last year. For full-sized American plants I could probably fit in about 70 plants, but with closer spacing of Orientals, I might be able to approach 100 plants.

It's definitely time to get them into the ground. I roto-tilled the plots yesterday, put down some composted cow manure, aluminum sulfate, blood and bone meal, and general compost. Last fall I put in a lot of composted chicken manure, too. Before roto-tilling, I tested the soil I grew in last year with my electric fertility and pH meter. It has two prong-like sensors that go into the soil. It said the soil was depleted. Tobacco really does rob nutrients from the soil. But after tilling it and mixing everything around the fertility is back up to where it should be. The only problem with the tester is that it doesn't break it down into NPK just an overall average. But I like it because I can test as many times as I want.

I might get the plants in the soil tomorrow, but I have to solve a problem with my chickens. They have found a breach in the perimeter and have been escaping and I have to keep them away from the plants until they are a certain size. I have to go all around the yard and find the hole they're escaping from. Either that or fence in the garden plots, but that will be expensive and a PITA.

DonH

Very nice, healthy looking plants. Good luck on your year.

One thing that really helped them was that we had strong winds last weekend. That really toughened the stems up. The leaves got thicker too. But none of them got damaged because they were all crammed together in the tray. I think they're tough enough to go in the ground now.

Another thing I should mention for those of us in the north, is that I started my seeds on March 21. I figured it would be easy to remember that date since it's the first day of Spring. So we're talking more like 9-10 weeks before planting, not the standard 6-8 weeks you read about. You don't want to put young, weak plants in the ground in the springtime. But putting them in cups and leaving them outside to get sun and toughen up worked well for me. If there was going to be a frost, I just brought them into the garage overnight.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I agree. I planted mine too young, around six weeks. I got lucky that they all made it through the rain and overcast days we had. They've finally begun to grow good, but I should have given them a better start. The weather and insects have been rough on them.

DonH

I got 51 plants in the ground the last couple of days. All but one made it and are doing well. One got snapped over, either by an animal or the thunderstorm we had last night.

I planted:

6 Silver River
4 YTB
1 Harrow Velvet
4 African Red
5 Del Gold
5 Virginia Bright Leaf
5 Big Gem
2 Lizard Tail Orinoco
3 One Sucker
3 Baiano
2 Kelley Burley
3 Catterton
2 Isleta Pueblo
9 Black Sea Samsun (spaced at 18 in.)

I should have room for 40 more.

DonH

I tilled another small plot today, enough for six plants, so I planted two more Baianos, one Lizard Tail Orinoco, one One Sucker, one Yellow Twist Bud, and one Silver River. I replaced the dead Del Gold with a live Big Gem. The Big Gems are huge. You're right, leverhead, the Silver Rivers look really nice. Narrow, shapely leaves...

Here is a view of the new plot.

IMG_0375.jpg

The rest of the big plot and the other small plot.

IMG_0374.jpg

And the other big plot, just waiting for a package from BigB to arrive.

IMG_0376.jpg

workhorse_01

Don my big gem was between 8'- 9' tall last year. The leaves were about 18" wide and a little longer than my arm. They seem to make pretty good wrapper and filler at least my buddies keep wanting more of them.

DonH

Don my big gem was between 8'- 9' tall last year. The leaves were about 18" wide and a little longer than my arm. They seem to make pretty good wrapper and filler at least my buddies keep wanting more of them.

Wow! It's going to be hard to get between those rows.

DonH

Probably around 20 Orientals spaced at 12-18". And then 6-7 Burley and 6-7 Bolivian Black Criollo. And about 7 more Orientals in the other patch next to the BS Samsun.

Status
Not open for further replies.