Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kiln Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hokay, just got some crispy leaf down an drowned with a mister ready to go into the kiln. Would like to know if it is all good sticking it in there drippin or not? Kiln will be running at 122f and 70%. Any ideas, thanx

Are you running a crock pot with a thermostat?

Webby

Crock pot and 5 fin oil heater with both running I can get it to stay at 122f - 50C.
Will get a bit of a vid up tomorrow. Put leaf in now though as was all in case, really pliable but not drippin.
@AmaxB deff gonna have warm feet this year, dont know how the last lot put up with these chipboard floors..
Knucklehead, rest of main crop goes under the house to color cure in the morning, no more green i hope. lost about a third of 1st prime in the end. Am I all goodin thinkin the patchy green leaf i could cure and remove the green patches?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Was it crispy dry? Even so, you could get it moist and pile it up, rotate the pile inside out for a few days. If there's any sign that the pile is generating heat on the inside, it could indicate that you've triggered the fermentation again. If you have the time, anything is worth trying. Keep us posted.

Webby

Was it crispy dry? Even so, you could get it moist and pile it up, rotate the pile inside out for a few days. If there's any sign that the pile is generating heat on the inside, it could indicate that you've triggered the fermentation again. If you have the time, anything is worth trying. Keep us posted.

It was, I have moistened it up and put in the kiln already. That bad huh?
Picture speaks a thousand and all that
P3240138.jpg
Through the window

P3240145.jpg
self explanatory

P3240144.jpg
up inside veiw.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Na. Probably a good move. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. What's the smell coming from the kiln like?

Webby

Lovely, slight taint of silicon but its not the acid cure type so should be alright on the night. :)

Webby

Working Update

And working it is. Might have to make a pit stop to seal a couple of leaks.
The smell is amazing, those who say otherwise have no sense (of smell). I have got it sitting at 50-55c using only the crock pot and the occasional boost from the 12v halogens. Am thinkin of puttin the halogens on the thermostat. Final cost was $140nz + 120 for petrol to go get the poly, however we also insulated 25 square mts of the house with that load so it paid for it self.
What a curve on the graph of learning. With the ideas and knowledge gained here La Bestia works. ThanxP3240140.jpg

AmaxB

Yes Sir Nice! I enjoyed watching it come along to and that cost ya can't do any better than FREE after doing the house too.

Webby

And now I have some where to color cure.

Photo0008.jpg

Photo0014.jpg
Was about 60% then..
Photo0011.jpg
Thanx Kucklehead

And now its raining so dont have a clue how its workin, el soddo strikes again..
Bit of a bodge job at the moment but eventually we gonna close the bottom of the house with slats and will vent it in the style of the old barns I saw in spain. Should look good and I get a curing barn.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Close it up tightly as you can during rainy days, and monitor it in case you have to add some kind of heat or air movement to achieve a balance between heat and humidity. If it stays over 80% RH for a few days you may get mold. The important thing, within limits, is average humidity over a few days at a time. Short spikes up or down is no problem. Days long spikes of high or low humidity or high, low heat is when you may have to compensate in some way.

AmaxB

Whoop Whoop you R rockin Webby whish I had that leaf to do some Frankin testing with...... I love seeing folks working with what they got to get what they need in stead of saying they can't because ....
A very successful man once told me when I was a young boy (he was using a piece of wire for a cotter pin) Need is the Mother of Invention. Sounds like Knuckelhead is giving some good advice there.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Looking at your pictures above, as you can afford it, underpinning around your entire foundation will have a profound effect on your heating and cooling bills. Old sheets of tin work good.

Webby

I like the tin idea bro but the lil' Lady not so keen. We can wait.
"Need is the mother of invention" is pretty much how NZ grew, it bein that we are so far away. As most Kiwi's will tell you, its amazing what you can make or fix with a piece of number 8 wire (thick low tensile fencing wire) and some 4x2 (2x4).

Dont know weather you picked it, ment to add it in with the final fotos of the build (cant edit now). I have taken the thermostat and its cover off the oil fin heater and stuffed both the 12v lighting and the fans transformers in there and run wires to the fins for outside control. Have vented the top with an inch and a half tube with a slit cut in it and a piece of icecream container plastic, cut to size to control humidity. Need not have worried, there are enough leaks to keep an even 70%. Am going to shut down do a hot run to dry everything out a bit and reseal, If I was to rebuild with poly sheets I would line each piece with plastic first as i done with the base.

@amaxB this steam or vapor leaking is amazing, as quick as you fix one it seeps thru another spot. This I think will be the hardest part of the multi function kiln. A nice wee challenge you have taken on and an awesome reference for later.
I am now running the kiln with only the crock pot for both heat and humidity, no venting and 2 comp fans to keep it all even, one of which is blowing over the water in the crock. Maybe an idea as your kiln is well insulated as well.

Final interior dimensions, 1.200 x 1.080 x 2.120m , 6ft 11 & 1/2 x 3ft 11 x 3ft 6 & 1/2. Will get all of mine in there and kilning a bit of my sisters. I am already using it as a sauna as well. Cant wait for the fire ban to lift and get some hot rocks in there.:p
Yesterday I proved a batch of hotcross buns in there as well, worked a treat. Any other ideas for use of a kiln?

@Kucklehead, have 75% in there at the moment and it has been raining. I have been keeping a good eye on our humidity here and the average is about 45%. Last winter- autumn it only spiked around the 90s before rain. I feel rather safe, but will not become complacent. Thanx again man.

And thanx to ya'll for the help and inspiration, I said at the beginig that i aint never blogged or logged, good for a laugh and extremely helpful.
Goin to put up a new thread now with this last years grow fotos and ups and downs and she'll be rights mate...

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I like the tin idea bro but the lil' Lady not so keen. We can wait....
I had to do something like that once. You'd be surprised how a little paint will make it blend in. Make the color matching (hard to do) or blending (easier) or contrasting (piece of cake). You can even rule lines (horizontal or vertical) on it and make it resemble siding. The lines are easier if you mask and spray them on.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
No worries, mate. i just hate wasting a word like "profound". That took some doing for a redneck to come up with a word like that. Gave myself a head ache. lol

AmaxB

Watch for mold Webby I think I saw a photo your hanging your leaf so your probably OK> Had mine stacked and was running 125F air temp not stack and had some because I wet towels an laid them on top the pile made the leaf soggy and it molded.

Webby

Other than soggy mate, mine seem to be drying on the sides and tips. Have 70% and 122f in there. Any ideas, have already sprayed them to see if i could get them back up to case.
Any wetness in stacked or pressed will cause almost instant mold. Found that out in the oven kiln, a small leak on the pile and half of it gone. I tried smoking a bit of it, my advice Don't..

Status
Not open for further replies.