Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

There gonna double taxes come Dec. 31st 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
SEC. 3. TOBACCO TAX INCREASE AND PARITY.

(a) Short Title- This section may be cited as the ‘Saving Lives by Lowering Tobacco Use Act’.

(b) Increase in Excise Tax on Small Cigars and Cigarettes-

(1) SMALL CIGARS- Section 5701(a)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by striking ‘$50.33’ and inserting ‘$100.50’.

(2) CIGARETTES- Section 5701(b) of such Code is amended--

(A) by striking ‘$50.33’ in paragraph (1) and inserting ‘$100.50’, and

(B) by striking ‘$105.69’ in paragraph (2) and inserting ‘$211.04’.

(c) Tax Parity for Pipe Tobacco and Roll-Your-Own Tobacco-

(1) PIPE TOBACCO- Section 5701(f) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by striking ‘$2.8311 cents’ and inserting ‘$49.55’.

(2) ROLL-YOUR-OWN TOBACCO- Section 5701(g) of such Code is amended by striking ‘$24.78’ and inserting ‘$49.55’.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-1403

dkh2

Can some one figure out how to break this down to "Per Pack" and Carton ?
and on the roll your own ?
There doing this in the Senate

Thank you very much Sen. Thomas Harkin [D-IA] and your co sponsors

Mark Begich [D-AK]
Michael Bennet [D-CO]
Richard Blumenthal [D-CT]
Richard Durbin [D-IL]
Al Franken [D-MN]
Tim Johnson [D-SD]
Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]
Frank Lautenberg [D-NJ]
Patrick Leahy [D-VT]
Barbara Mikulski [D-MD]
Patty Murray [D-WA]
John Reed [D-RI]
Jeanne Shaheen [D-NH]
Sheldon Whitehouse [D-RI]

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
SCYankee can give you the numbers to the cent, but there's about one pound of tobacco in a carton of cigarettes, so the new tax is about an additional $2.50 per pack.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Roll your own "Pipe tobacco" is going to cost more $65.00 a pound. The manufacturer's of this product have been skirting the law for quite a while. They're going to be caught between a rock and a hard place though. The law will apply to floor stock as well, so do the manufactures make as much "pipe tobacco" (the stuff used to make cigarettes) and risk having a huge inventory that can't be sold, or cease production near the time the law goes into affect (I know it's currently just a bill).

I'm sure this is response to the other proposed bill that preserves the traditional use of pipe tobacco and eliminates the loop hole the ryo guys found in the wording of the current law.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't imagine that there are any pipe smokers on that Senate committee. This Senate bill would effectively put all the artisanal pipe tobacco blenders in America, like Cornell & Diehl and McClelland, out of business. It is roughly a 2000% increase in the excise tax on pipe tobacco. C&D makes one custom blend for me (#404 Pearl of Shibam), which I consider the finest Balkan-style blend on the planet [5/16 Virginia Bright ribbon: 3/16 Perique: 4/16 Izmir: 4/16 Cyprian Latakia]. I guess I had better order up 5 pounds of it before December. Or maybe just order 5 pounds of its most elusive ingredient--the Latakia.

Bob

dkh2

(d) Clarification of Definition of Small Cigars- Paragraphs (1) and (2) of section 5701(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 are each amended by striking ‘three pounds per thousand’ and inserting ‘four and one-half pounds per thousand’.

(e) Clarification of Definition of Cigarette- Paragraph (2) of section 5702(b) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by inserting before the final period the following: ‘, which includes any roll for smoking containing tobacco that weighs no more than four and a half pounds per thousand, unless it is wrapped in whole tobacco leaf and does not have a cellulose acetate or other cigarette-style filter’.

(f) Tax Parity for Smokeless Tobacco-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 5701(e) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended--

(A) in paragraph (1), by striking ‘$1.51’ and inserting ‘$26.79’;

(B) in paragraph (2), by striking ‘50.33 cents’ and inserting ‘$10.72’; and

(C) by adding at the end the following:

‘(3) SMOKELESS TOBACCO SOLD IN DISCRETE SINGLE-USE UNITS- On discrete single-use units, $100.50 per each 1,000 single-use units.’.

(2) DISCRETE SINGLE-USE UNIT- Section 5702(m) of such Code is amended--

(A) in paragraph (1), by striking ‘or chewing tobacco’ and inserting ‘chewing tobacco, discrete single-use unit’;

(B) in paragraphs (2) and (3), by inserting ‘that is not a discrete single-use unit’ before the period in each such paragraph; and

(C) by adding at the end the following:

‘(4) DISCRETE SINGLE-USE UNIT- The term ‘discrete single-use unit’ means any product containing tobacco that--

‘(A) is intended or expected to be consumed without being combusted; and

‘(B) is in the form of a lozenge, tablet, pill, pouch, dissolvable strip, or other discrete single-use or single-dose unit.’.

(3) OTHER TOBACCO PRODUCTS- Section 5701 of such Code is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

‘(i) Other Tobacco Products- Any product not otherwise described under this section that has been determined to be a tobacco product by the Food and Drug Administration through its authorities under the Family Smoking Prevention and Control Act shall be taxed at a level of tax equivalent to the tax rate for cigarettes on an estimated per use basis as determined by the Secretary.’.

(g) Clarifying Other Tobacco Tax Definitions-

(1) TOBACCO PRODUCT DEFINITION- Section 5702(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by inserting before the period the following: ‘, and any other product containing tobacco that is intended or expected to be consumed’.

(2) CIGARETTE PAPER DEFINITION- Section 5702(e) of such Code is amended by striking ‘except tobacco,’ and inserting ‘or cigar (other than roll-your-own tobacco)’.

(3) CIGARETTE TUBE DEFINITION- Section 5702(f) of such Code is amended by inserting before the period ‘or cigars’.

(4) IMPORTER DEFINITION- Section 5702(k) of such Code is amended by inserting ‘or any other tobacco product’ after ‘cigars or cigarettes’.

(h) Inflation Adjustment- Section 5701 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended by subsection (f)(3), is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

‘(j) Inflation Adjustment- In the case of any calendar year after 2013, each amount set forth in this section shall be increased by an amount equal to--

‘(1) such amount, multiplied by

‘(2) the cost-of-living adjustment determined under section 1(f)(3) for such calendar year by substituting ‘calendar year 2012’ for ‘calendar year 1992’ in subparagraph (B) thereof.’.

(i) Floor Stocks Taxes-

(1) IMPOSITION OF TAX- On tobacco products manufactured in or imported into the United States which are removed before any tax increase date and held on such date for sale by any person, there is hereby imposed a tax in an amount equal to the excess of--

(A) the tax which would be imposed under section 5701 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 on the article if the article had been removed on such date, over

(B) the prior tax (if any) imposed under section 5701 of such Code on such article.

dkh2

(A) in paragraph (1), by striking ‘$1.51’ and inserting ‘$26.79’; Does this mean per "10 can Roll" ?

(B) in paragraph (2), by striking ‘50.33 cents’ and inserting ‘$10.72’; and does this mean per single can ?

dkh2

OK here is the original definition statement from March 2009 I saved the web page and deleted all the crap in wordpad
and just saved this part so it would fit in here with out taking up 80 post size pages

ul0ut.jpg

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Before we scare everyone into a revolution, this is only a bill. I highly doubt it will ever make it out of committee and if it does, it most certainly won't pass the Senate floor. This is just another ridiculous Liberal effort to extract every last dime non-government worker have.

The real bill that addresses the "pipe tobacco" tax, does not double the tax on all other tobacco, but it makes the distinction between what real pipe tobacco is and what manufactures of cheap ryo tobacco call "pipe tobacco". The loophole that allows the sale of cigarette rolling tobacco to be sold as pipe tobacco will be closed.

Either way, neither of the two bills affects the sales of whole leaf tobacco.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You already have the last laugh. Any of your friends who smoke cigarettes are paying more than $120 for a pound of tobacco (based on $5.50 per pack...they're $10.00 in the State of New York and more than that in N.Y. City).

After they wake up from fainting when you tell them how much they're paying, tell them where to buy it cheap.

dkh2

Cigarettes are 8.25 a pack at the local store.
I live in Washington State they tax every thing they can here.
Patty Murray [D-WA] is tax and spend liberal rubber stamp
She also has been voted the dumbest senator by the Senate staff personnel 7 years in a row.
What ever way Harry Reed says to vote she does it except for one time and that got her in
hot water with Democratic leadership and she hasn't done it since.
I believe SC Yankee used 1.25 grams per cig or 0.877 ounces per pack or 8.77 ounces per carton
a little more than half a pound per carton.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Can some one figure out how to break this down to "Per Pack" and Carton ?
and on the roll your own ?
There doing this in the Senate

Thank you very much Sen. Thomas Harkin [D-IA] and your co sponsors

Mark Begich [D-AK]
Michael Bennet [D-CO]
Richard Blumenthal [D-CT]
Richard Durbin [D-IL]
Al Franken [D-MN]
Tim Johnson [D-SD]
Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]
Frank Lautenberg [D-NJ]
Patrick Leahy [D-VT]
Barbara Mikulski [D-MD]
Patty Murray [D-WA]
John Reed [D-RI]
Jeanne Shaheen [D-NH]
Sheldon Whitehouse [D-RI]

why does it not surprise me that they are all '' DEMOCRATS''...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.