Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bondo007man

Looking to grow 4-8 Havana plants this summer. I hope to harvest them but I'd be happy to just see some nice tall healthy plants. I have done a lot of research and still am reading up however I do not know where to obtain some good seeds! Any help would be great I am hoping to grow the tobacco for potential Cigars! but like I said I will be happy with just healthy plants for my first year and of coarse to get seeds for the following year. Thanks for the help!
-Mike

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I 'd stick with a known cultivar for growing especially your first time out. If you grew, for instance Havana 142 you could possibly trade with people next fall and compare your Havana 142 to others that have grown it.
What kind of cigar are you looking for? mild, strong flavored, spicy? , etc

New Hope Seed is a good place to look

bondo007man

Mild Cigars is all I am after however I like the strain of the plant in the ebay listing. Mostly after something that will grow tall and be ok in a pot. Thanks
-Mike

Aaron

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Mild Cigars is all I am after however I like the strain of the plant in the Ebay listing. Mostly after something that will grow tall and be ok in a pot. Thanks
-Mike
Mike, I am always cautious of Ebay buys. I've been burned too often. Often the descriptions, while fascinating to not describe what you get. In this case you will be a year down the road before you find out. Getting seeds from trusted sources is frequently a problem but worth the extra effort.

I roll and smoke mild cigars. Right now I am using a Havana called Lonnie's Havana. I got it in a mix up for Havana 142. They are both good and I can send you a few seeds of each. If interested, check me out and if you choose PM me your address. There are other good sources right here at FTT. 142 is a popular Havana and seeds are commonly available. As a Newbie you might be able to get a few from FmGrowit (our founder and "da boss")

skychaser

Buying an unknown cultivar is not preferred as JDB said, I agree. For different kind of cigars you may look here http://nwtseeds.com/multi-packs.htm. There're multipacks of different cultivars for cigars there and it's a reliable source.

I moved it to here now. http://northwoodseeds.com/multi-packs.htm It's a new and improved retail version of that page for on line sales, but it is still a work in progress and is not complete. The whole new website is a work in progress and is seeming to take me forever to get done. Growing tobacco is easy. Making websites is hard. I'd rather be out in the feild with my hoe!

Send me an e-mail if you would like to order anything or have any questions. I take checks or I can invoice you through PayPal to pay with a credit card. I will have some shopping cart buttons on there one of these days and be making my whole seed list available in individual packs through the new site.

Sky

ps Any comments or suggestions about my websites by FTT members are always welcome. :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That particular ebay source suggests from the photos an amateur grower (a few plants, even in pots, give you millions of seeds), who is very good at marketing. The description is well written and enticing, despite its lack of meaningful content. He (she?) likely obtained the original seed from yet another ebay seller who didn't know what variety was being sold--if indeed it is even a pure varietal strain, rather than a haphazard hybrid.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
That particular ebay source suggests from the photos an amateur grower (a few plants, even in pots, give you millions of seeds), who is very good at marketing. The description is well written and enticing, despite its lack of meaningful content. He (she?) likely obtained the original seed from yet another ebay seller who didn't know what variety was being sold--if indeed it is even a pure varietal strain, rather than a haphazard hybrid.

Bob

AMEN. Well said.

Aaron

That's great news Skychaser. There's lots of varieties you have that I want to try eventually. You'll be my go to guy for next year. Just out of my own curiosity, do you supply seeds to sustainable seed? I've noticed that many of their descriptions and pictures match the info on your site. All seed that I've purchased so far have been from there and have had great germination results.

oops, ignore that question. I see my answer on your site now.

skychaser

"I'd rather be out in the field with my hoe!" Don't tell the wife. LOL

She already knows. :/ If you search in that other forum you will find a post of mine from last summer called "my wife caught me with my hoe!"

A friend of mine sells lots of things on e-bay (car parts) and was showing me all the tobacco seeds listings they had found a couple weeks ago. Some of the descriptions sounded like they were written by the government. Lots of words that said nothing. Others were just laughable, in a sad sort of way. It was very obvious to me that about 90% of them really had no idea what they were selling.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
She already knows. :/ If you search in that other forum you will find a post of mine from last summer called "my wife caught me with my hoe!"

A friend of mine sells lots of things on e-bay (car parts) and was showing me all the tobacco seeds listings they had found a couple weeks ago. Some of the descriptions sounded like they were written by the government. Lots of words that said nothing. Others were just laughable, in a sad sort of way. It was very obvious to me that about 90% of them really had no idea what they were selling.
Remember what Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute (dramatic pause) and two to take him."

Chris A

I believe I'm smoking the same Havana (Lonnie's) that Johnlee is since it came from the same source. Agree it rolls an excellent mild cigar. If seeds are available & offered my recommendation would be to go for it. My opinion only. As always, your mileage may vary...........

Chris

MarcL

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I moved it to here now. http://northwoodseeds.com/multi-packs.htm It's a new and improved retail version of that page for on line sales, but it is still a work in progress and is not complete. The whole new website is a work in progress and is seeming to take me forever to get done. Growing tobacco is easy. Making websites is hard. I'd rather be out in the feild with my hoe!

Send me an e-mail if you would like to order anything or have any questions. I take checks or I can invoice you through PayPal to pay with a credit card. I will have some shopping cart buttons on there one of these days and be making my whole seed list available in individual packs through the new site.

Sky

ps Any comments or suggestions about my websites by FTT members are always welcome. :)

Sky-
I just ordered all five of your seed packs. Nice varieties. Are these currently your only retail seed?

Status
Not open for further replies.