Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

aerial rooting, jasmine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty

I own a jasmine, it is a topiary style bush (I think). I have had it for over 8 years. It is a lakeview or mountain jasmine, I'm not sure. Anyway, I want to make some "copies" as they make really nicely scented blossoms and would like to give some to my neighbors and friends. I've tried rooting cuttings with a rooting hormone with zero success, that is out of 200 cuttings, not one root. So, I'm trying to root on the branch, air level, with some a couple scars at a node with some peat moss. Anyone ever do something like this? Should I be using a hormone to stimulate root growth? It is an interesting plant/tree/bush that no one I've met or talked to knows anything about. One of the retiree's in my neighborhood (I live in a kind of retirement village) said that jasmine grows wild in australia. I tried a little research and was quickly overwhelmed by misinformation (I only got a smarthone for internet and believe me, it ain't too smart sometimes). Anybody know about jasmines?

Aaron

I don't know anything about jasmine so how much truth is in this I'm not sure but I tried to do a little digging for you. Here's a link to pfaf.org http://www.pfaf.org/user/DatabaseSearhResult.aspx I had found a couple places that referred to bush type jasmine belonging to the genus Trachelospermum. If your plant is more of a vining plant the link will be wrong. There is two choices from that link. Check out the cultivation and propagation sections at the bottom of each. Hope this helps.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I don't know anything about jasmine so how much truth is in this I'm not sure but I tried to do a little digging for you. Here's a link to pfaf.org http://www.pfaf.org/user/DatabaseSearhResult.aspx I had found a couple places that referred to bush type jasmine belonging to the genus Trachelospermum. If your plant is more of a vining plant the link will be wrong. There is two choices from that link. Check out the cultivation and propagation sections at the bottom of each. Hope this helps.

Good find.

Ishi

Plant Propagation Principles and Practices 3rd edition.
Jasmine (Jasminum sp. " This is propagated without difficulty by leafy semi hardwood cuttings taken in late summer and rooted under glass. Layers and suckers can also be used.

Not very much information but all I have

Matty

Hmmm... I can't get the link to work, I'll have to visit someone with a computer. My jasmine is like a tree but I think it is the bush type that was raised as a topiary style. When I tried rooting the cuttings they may have been too old a growth to stimulate roots. I may try rooting some suckers. New branches pop out anywhere on this thing, kinda like an apple tree. There are a few new sprouts forming on a large branch that is probably 10 years old, they just pop out wherever it seems. I'll try a few things and post my findings.

Aaron

I guess I need to learn to check my own links. http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Trachelospermum+jasminoides The main part I thought may be help was--- "Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 6 - 8cm with a heel, August in a frame. Ensure that the milky sap, which is excreted from the heel when the cutting is taken, has dried out before the cutting is inserted in the soil. Fair to good percentage[78]. Layering in summer[188]. The plant self-layers, sending out roots from leaf nodes and stem tips wherever they touch the ground"

Matty

Ok, that link worked for me, but, that's not my jasmine. I'll try finding something that resembles it. Pretty flowers though (star jasmine). My jasmine makes a clear sap. Aphids and other annoying bugs are crazy for it. Wherever they bite through the bark the sap comes out in clear, sweet, sticky droplets. If I don't control the pests the sap makes a big mess on the floor (I keep the tree inside most of the year and put it outside in summer).

Matty

Thanks Knucks, but I just found a site I've never come accross. My query may not be a true jasmine. It is "called" a lakeview jasmine, but, is also known as:

orange jasmine
murraya paniculata
china box
mock orange
orange jessamine

It is a rutaceae, from the rue family. It says that it is propagated from seeds or cuttings. I have never had cuttings work out and have never seen it make seed, at least not in the regular way from the flowers. It does however produce a small fruit, no bigger than 1/2" long, green turning bright red, I've never had more than two of these on the tree at a time and never more than 3-4 fruit a year. I tried planting the fruit but nothing happened. For the past year or more the condition of the tree has been declining so I figure I should probably learn something about it before it dies or something, I will save it.

Maybe I'll be able to create a jasmine cigar, lol. The scent of the blossoms is really extraordinary.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Can you go the opposite way and expose a root and see if you can get it to put out a sprout? I see this happen naturally with some trees and shrubs.

Matty

Hey, thats not a bad idea Knucks. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can change it's dirt, I'm sure it's nothing but sand and gravel by now and it's full of tiny bugs/whiteflies/nematodes. I'll try a few roots then.

Matty

I changed my avatar to my jasmine, the only way I can put a pic on this site (I'm extremely limited by my device). If y'all can't see it lemme know.

Matty

It's a lot bigger, the photo is the only one that shows the leaves and flowers. It has a "trunk" about 3 feet tall, 1" diameter, no branches. It's growing like a bonzai, all gnarly and random. When it's at it's peak health it will produce twice as many blossoms as leaves and the fragrance is STRONG. I used to lend it to a neighbor for the winter cause I had no sun where the pic was taken. I'd have to go over and prune the blossoms so the scent wouldn't be so powerful. All the old ladies in the area go crazy for the smell lol. However, it looks fairly pitiful at the moment and would be embarassed to show it to anyone, hence the cloning and maintenance planned for it.

Ishi

We used to have a mock orange planted out side. It got about 7 ft high and a trunk 3" in diameter. Will check in the Sunset Western Garden book and see what it says. Smelled a lot like an orange tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.