Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Mark W's 2013 Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I'm not very good in english and I make many mistakes i Like to correct it later if someone explain it to me also here is a good example to correct Florida Samarta.
For me is funny and for you, but newbie will search around for new variety.

oh yeah, let him who cares,...

I think you meant Florida Samartass, but my Slovenian is no bueno! Heh heh

Markw

Hi Randy
That is the best advice I have had I wish I knew this last year it could have saved me a lot of time. I have added a few photos from last years grow of what the VG and La Palma Havana looked like when picked.

Ha Barg
Me and you alike I just kept looking at them thinking when to start priming.It don,t help being color blind as well Ha Ha It might be a good idea if there was a sticky on this subject.

Havleaf 111.jpgVG 111.jpgJungle 111.jpg

BarG

Founding Member
The top leaf catches my eye more than the other. and this is 2013 what month and I'm looking at leafs from when? Good pics thats a big leaf ,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
thats a good looking leaf [ no bug holes ]

and with all that humidity,,, as long as you boost up the heat ,, it should dissapate, it

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What's the plant on the far left with the long narrow leaves? That's an interesting looking plant. Little Dutch? I take it from your grow list you're a cigar smoker.

squeezyjohn

Pssst - I'll let you US guys in to a little secret ... we don't have hornworms here!

The only thing that threatened my leaves last year were slugs when the plants were very small - i stopped those with the use of copper rings until the plants got bigger. The other threat to a good leaf was the wind which I intend to use windbreaks and inter-planting with tall stuff to sort out this year.

Fisherman

Pssst - I'll let you US guys in to a little secret ... we don't have hornworms here!

The only thing that threatened my leaves last year were slugs when the plants were very small - i stopped those with the use of copper rings until the plants got bigger. The other threat to a good leaf was the wind which I intend to use windbreaks and inter-planting with tall stuff to sort out this year.

Copper rings????

squeezyjohn

Yes - slugs and snails will not cross a barrier of copper as it gives them electric shocks. I bought hundreds of them a few years ago before the price of copper went through the roof!

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p1830/COPPER-SLUG-RINGS-3-Large-and-3-Small/product_info.html

i can't believe people here are still buying them at that price though! They can be re-used year on year, but still.

Lots of people are making their own for free by getting old electrical wiring from houses that are having it replaced and stripping it - but solid copper works better if you can get it.

It is the most effective thing I've ever used against slugs. The only time it fails is if a leaf droops on to the soil outside the ring, or if I'm stupid enough to leave a slug inside the ring!

Markw

Hi Chicken
And thanks for popping by. Yes the humidity is always high over here., it would help a lot if we could get the heat for trying . lets hope that this year is better.

Ha Knucks
The one on the left is a Silk Leaf with loads of suckers, I only grew one cigar variety last year but this year I will be growing more for cigars and pipe.I am just trying to get friends interested in growing tobacco

Squezzy
I have to agree with you completely on what you have said, and yes no bud worms only slugs and snails. I am going to be using some old guttering around my plot filled up with water. I don’t think slugs and snails can swim! I am thinking that the carrot fly will get stuck to the leafs if planted near the carrots.

Hi Mr Fisherman.
Thanks for taking the time for commenting on my grow blog. As squezzy has said slugs and snails hate anything made of copper. I also use all my dog ends and sprinkle them around on the ground that helps as well.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
london is famous for it allways raining,

i doubt a dehumidifier, could keep up with your humidity and moisture,

id look into a pot-belly stove, and make a metal building for my hanging area,

and use heat from fire wood, to cure it in, like the old timer's did it,

you can have the most best looking crop, and let it get moldy, and it's unsmokable,

last season, i had small mold issues, due to massive, daily rain,

this year i'll cure, indoors using a radiator type heater,

squeezyjohn

london is famous for it allways raining,

i doubt a dehumidifier, could keep up with your humidity and moisture,

id look into a pot-belly stove, and make a metal building for my hanging area,

and use heat from fire wood, to cure it in, like the old timer's did it,

Well - last year that was definitely true Chicken! But London actually has about the best climate and temperatures of the whole UK despite it's reputation!

Most people in the UK live it pretty small houses with very few outbuildings - I think for most of us the job needs to be: Colour cure the tobacco while we still have some warmth of the summer ... then bring it inside to our living spaces with a closer spacing even if it goes dangerously crispy during the winter - then if we want to continue ageing it - put it back outside when the weather warms us the next year in may to come in and out of case.

AND ... try and come up with a good reason to explain why that is happening to my better half!!!

Markw

Yes lets hope we get a better year, a dehumidifier would be out of the question I would need to run it 24/7 and the cost $
On another point germination on a towel. I gave this a try and I see you have to be quick to get them off otherwise they root into the towel. So I had a go with Hanging Basket water gel you mix it up like wallpaper paste and sprinkle the seeds on top,they germinate just fine and there is no problem you then just take them out of the gel when ready

squeezyjohn

Is there any reason why people germinate the seeds all together and then prick the seedlings out in to their cells?

For me they just germinate in the cells fine - the only reason I could see would be to save on the number of seeds planted and to stop you having to thin them out ... but transplanting the tiny seedlings is also really fiddly!

Just curious.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Fat fingers! I tryed to seed a few seeds at a time into cells and i was pinching 20-30 seeds at a time lol. Its easier for me to pick them up once spro uted.

Mark are all your plants going in the ground or using some pots like you did last year? I had some in 20 litre pots and they seemed very stumpy compared to my plants in the ground. Maybee it was my soil i used or didnt feed them enough.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
BigBonner came up with a great way to single seed trays. http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?2064-Ways-to-start-tobacco-seedlings/page2

Here's a sample picture, but read his whole post.
654JxBR.jpg

Markw

Hi Darren
Most of mine will go in the ground like last year.I will grow about ten in pots usually one of each, I can move these inside if the weather is crap. I bag the ones in pots for seed and also bag two of each that are grown in the ground.the rest are topped

I use 30-40 ltr pots and mix the soil for these by hand, last year the mix was 40% garden soil 40% budget compost. 10%FYM and 10% mushroom compost at the bottom of the pot. And yes they don’t get as big as the ones in the ground but I can keep them going far longer inside if I don’t get seed from the ones grown outside. The Silver River was the hardest to get seed from I finished picking the last pods in late Jan

Markw

Hi Knucks
Yes I like Big bonners threads and they are very interesting. I would love to grow loads of tobacco like Larry. But my space is limited so I try to grow some new ones each year to try and then my main crop. I start all my seed off in temperature controlled propagators so my space is limited.
I will be using the water gel method next year for starting my seed it takes up very little space as you can get ten seeds in a thimble. I hope your grow is going well plus we all get good growing weather this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.