Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Northeast Is About to Be Blanketed by a Swarm of Cicadas

Status
Not open for further replies.

skychaser

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/sma...-about-to-be-blanketed-by-a-swarm-of-cicadas/

It’s been 17 years since the cicadas of Brood II swarmed the northeastern United States. A mass of winged creatures, red eyes glowing, the cicadas “are expected to emerge and overwhelm a large swath of land from Virginia to Connecticut — climbing up trees, flying in swarms and blanketing grassy areas so they crunch underfoot,” says WNYC.

Across the United States, different broods of cicadas emerge after long withdrawls underground, some on 13-year cycles, some, like Brood II, on 17-year cycles.

Cicadas live in the ground, near trees. They feed off the roots of trees. And they only come out for a few weeks, during which time they will molt and then mate. The females will lay eggs that hatch and the nymphs will then burrow underground to start a new 17-year-cycle, while the adult cicadas die.

The cicadas come in such great numbers, and the noises they make so loud (like the sound of a water bottle being squeezed, but sped up and multiplied by a great number, says WNYC) that people often find themselves afraid of the foreign insect frenzy. Never fear, though, as cicadas are harmless to people: “they can’t bite you or sting you or hurt you in any way.”

Though some cicadas are around every year, says Ditmas Park Corner, a website for the Brooklyn neighborhood, these 17-year cicadas are a different beast and will appear in far greater numbers.

The Brood II cicadas won’t come out of the ground until the “temperature eight inches below the surface hits 64 degrees,” says the Nieman Journalism Lab, and WNYC has a fun citizen science project—the Cicada Tracker—that you can join if you want to help track the cicadas’ emergence.

According to Charles Q. Choi for Scientific American, scientists don’t actually know why the Brood II cicadas take 17 years to emerge.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
not much beats being lulled to sleep on a hot afternoon serranaded by cicada song. hopefully some traveled further north:)

Webby

We coped it last summer (11-12) and there wasnt no bein lulled to sleep, was the kind of sound that enters the whole body and there is no escape.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
that's the bliss i remember!

the song just seeps into your bones and gently carries you away to dreamland:)

istanbulin

Founding Member
American cicadas are looking like a zombie type of cicada with their red eyes :) That sound expression is really interesting (squezing plastic bottle voice), their voice always resembles to me the sound of a ratchet mechanism device. Their voice never disturbing to me because it always make me remember that I'm on vacation in the south :) Agree with SmokesAhoy, a good sing for day dreaming (or a siesta in the middle of the hot summer day) :)

When the weather gets hotter, they always start to sing faster, listen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cicadas_in_Greece.ogg

bosun

Biggest part of my hot August memories is the drone of the cicadas!

docfitch1

The last time I remember cicadas around here was 1961 or 62. Boboro, I think they taste like chicken, but it's been a long time.

Ken

Ken

rainmax

Founding Member
If you see a tan hollow shell on the side of trees thats them.

You mean something like this? This is how they look in my country.

IMG_5824.jpg

Of course this is the young(green) one. After they are brown. Here is in comparison with ant.

_MG_2143_3420.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.