Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

AmaxB ground prep an Grow 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman

Mr AmaxB,
Our soil was called red clay but our perculation rate actually called for us later to have a mound system for septic water. The pony was a tuff machine and not the biggest Troybilt made if I am not mistaken. I cant tell how long it lasted as it went to the pawn shop as most of a fisherman's belonging did in the off season. We sucked at money management mostly.

AmaxB

Money Money I am not good at it myself but my wife takes up for it. The soil out there should be good I think but that counts for little never have grown anything much. Did kill a garden 20 years ago learned to go easy on the fert.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
perhaps, i should pick on you, and post a pic of my all dirt spot,??????

i got half the landscape matted rows done

maybe that same pic. will give you some motivation,?

do like i did,,, i gave the wife a '' dinner fork '' and told her to go pull all the grass,

AmaxB

Going to have a few good days coming starting tomorrow going to eat extra helping of wheaties ( breakfast of champs) an grow a pair. While waitin on em to enlarge I'll take a trip to the rental place if I rent something on saturday I can get sunday free giving me an extra day.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^

thats a very wise move,

and just think, it's a '' 1 '' time investment,

once you get that ground busted up real good,

next year, a simple tiller will get it ready for you,

if your not going to try and remove the grass, i'd suggest some landscape, material, for a grass, regrowth barrier,

jekylnz

Going to have a few good days coming starting tomorrow going to eat extra helping of wheaties ( breakfast of champs) an grow a pair. While waitin on em to enlarge I'll take a trip to the rental place if I rent something on saturday I can get sunday free giving me an extra day.

Do u guys have weetbix there??lol

AmaxB

^^^^

thats a very wise move,

if your not going to try and remove the grass, i'd suggest some landscape, material, for a grass, regrowth barrier,
Was out today priced fabric etc will vist rental place this week to see what I can get to do the job. Will clear brush tomorrow, rent this year if I do well can buy tiller in the late fall and till before the snow comes. Early spring put good stuff on it and till again. Will start some seeds next year too reading you guys yack bout your sprouts is just to much to bear, I must get involved.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Was out today priced fabric etc will vist rental place this week to see what I can get to do the job. Will clear brush tomorrow, rent this year if I do well can buy tiller in the late fall and till before the snow comes. Early spring put good stuff on it and till again. Will start some seeds next year too reading you guys yack bout your sprouts is just to much to bear, I must get involved.
Still not too late. You can get seedlings from BigBonner and save about 6 weeks.

squeezyjohn

^^^^

thats a very wise move,

One man - one spade - and a load of back-breaking digging. I'm not saying you shouldn't use machinery ... I'm just sitting here feeling stiff as a post and looking at the callouses on my hands and feeling jealous.

Also - if there's any perennial roots in there - with a rotavator you'll just chop them up and create a ton more plants that you'll have to get rid of - at least manually you can get most of the roots out by hand - and you won't need to spray weedkiller on your ground.

AmaxB

One man - one spade - and a load of back-breaking digging. I'm not saying you shouldn't use machinery ... I'm just sitting here feeling stiff as a post and looking at the callouses on my hands and feeling jealous.

Also - if there's any perennial roots in there - with a rotavator you'll just chop them up and create a ton more plants that you'll have to get rid of - at least manually you can get most of the roots out by hand - and you won't need to spray weedkiller on your ground.
had a thought of using my snow plow to scrape it. some how it did not seem like a good thought! Worked on the sea while in my early twenties and would get callouses that would peel off in big pieces. Used to be good friends with a shovel he has passed on now. Knew him by first name "Shovel" he had a cousin we all just called him pick.

squeezyjohn

I've just been taking the advice of one old-timer on my site who said to me ... "most people here come and go, but the only way to enjoy your allotment is to dig it good and proper while you're still young enough to do so and stay in one place. Only then can you relax and garden in to your old-age - there's no way I could ever start again"

I am technically young enough to dig and throw soil and roots around at the moment - although after 4 solid days hard digging it doesn't feel like it! And my hands look like those of a 90 year old.

The way I look at it - it's good exercise - and i'm not paying any gym fees for it.

AmaxB

I agree with ya squeezy exercise is good for you and saving a buck is better! I just can't do what I used to

AmaxB

Sounds like I got a moth full of stones is not what I normally sound like, but can't be sure. Low down on the dirt.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
'' MINE OUGHT TO LOOK THE SAME WAY HELL IT'S JUST ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE''...lol

i dont need subtitles... i understand the accent,

good luck, when you get that equipment in there, and remember DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME''

when you think it's busted up enough,,,,, GO OVER IT AGAIN<!!!!!!

i knew you'd figure out how, to get that grass, to turn to dirt,

good job<

AmaxB

'' MINE OUGHT TO LOOK THE SAME WAY HELL IT'S JUST ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE''...lol

i dont need subtitles... i understand the accent,

good luck, when you get that equipment in there, and remember DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME''

when you think it's busted up enough,,,,, GO OVER IT AGAIN<!!!!!!

i knew you'd figure out how, to get that grass, to turn to dirt,

good job<
Well will have to wait an see about the year ... am going to plant on the other side of the fence an hope it is unnoticed.
I speak natural English no Accent.

AmaxB

Watching you makes me want a parcel of land again......................
Inspiration :)
An watching you on that boat makes me miss the water, nothin quite like the water. After getting a taste for groceries fresh like that what you get at the store just doesn't cut it. I worked the Trawlers from Florida to Texas years ago and still hold many fond memories of the Golf. Need a pond like Knockles!
Seanz I need to measure it and do a planting plane and get in touch with Mr. BigBonner bout some sprouts. Will know tonight just what I can stick in there. If this year goes well will do more next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.