Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

AmaxB ground prep an Grow 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

Is 84F and going up Glad I took the advice the many of you gave. Got what I really need in the way of ground Tilled. Chicken I went over it so many times I did not count em. Had some hard places those worked me pretty good but am down bout 10". Am going to do some extra ground and try to get 2 or 3" deeper, Damn Tiller was grumpy and crying so I am giving it a little break. Next I need to rake it than I'll mat it to keep the weeds off. I learned all this right here and if I keep reading I might grow some good tobacco.

AmaxB

Got it busted up now I need to feed the ground Should I do that before laying the black weed fabric or wait or wait and feed each seedling as it is planted? Going to do 200 plants
8 Rows of 25 deep. Have to talk with Big Bonner now....
Going to show ya a vid of the machine that did the hard work and the ground I'm starring in this one, patch is 43' x 55'

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You're cooking with peanut oil now. Nice looking patch. Have you considered getting a soil test with lime and fertilizer recommendations?

AmaxB

You're cooking with peanut oil now. Nice looking patch. Have you considered getting a soil test with lime and fertilizer recommendations?
Damn I knew some one was going to ask that, am going to look around for one don't want to wait on the gov. . Want to see if there is something that can be bought and done at home to get an idea...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
There are pH meters available that could tell you your pH, but I don't think they tell you how much lime to add to get up to 6.0 pH. I also have seen home test kits advertised, but again, I think they just tell you what you have, not what you need. I use a local county Co-op, who sends the soil to a lab in Ga. Jitterbugdude recommended the lab he uses, you send the soil sample straight to them. "High Brix Gardens" is where he sends his. $25.00 without recommendations, but he may know more about what to do with the data than I do, I have to have the recommendations. If you get the recommendations, they tell you how much lime and fertilizer to add in lbs per acre to bring it up to recommended levels for tobacco. Get about 4 handfuls of dirt from different locations in your plot, mix them all together in a bucket, and send in a sample of this mix.

AmaxB

I'll talk with my county see what they have to say. Now how about field mice, rabbit, and groundhogs am thinking I should maybe fence it or get the 22 down.

AmaxB

Thanks for the motivation Knuckles to dig and learn to test or not and just all in general. Lots of good stuff here in the forum.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I grew up on a farm, but anything I've learned about tobacco has been on this forum. I've read every post on here at least once. I can't remember all of it, but I have a pretty good idea of where to look for the information when the subject comes up again. I joined several months ago, it takes awhile to get through all of it.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Your soil looks perfect for tobacco .
I have a tiller that goes on the back of my tractor . I rarely use it .One reason is , because when the soil is really loose and fine like that it tends to stay wet and takes longer to dry out after a heavey rain .Also a heavey rain will pack the soil a little on the hard side after the tobacco is planted .
This is for large areas where we need the soil to dry quickly for planting . A small garden size tilled like that should be just fine . You may just have to wait a day or two longer for the soil to dry before planting or working the soil .

AmaxB

Thank You Mr. BigBonner I need all the friendly input I can get is the first time for me. Got excited today and bought some beet, carrot, and collard seed gonna start them tomorrow and will find a bit of space to tuck em into the patch. Just LOVE beets an collards. The Carrots are for my dogs as treats they love em. Need to talk with ya will try tomorrow evening bout seedlings.

AmaxB

Getting a small late start but is I ok I hope... List of seed on order picked these for cigarette blending

TA14 Common Smoking Tobacco ( Tabacum Burley )
This is a standard Burley that is grown in several states. It produces a very good tobacco for cigarettes. Grows to 6 ft. with sturdy stalks. One of the most widely grown cultivated tobaccos. Has limited disease resistance, is an excellent choice for first time growers.
-------
TA83 Virginia Brightleaf
A very mild tobacco for cigarettes and pipes. Cures to a light golden color. Grows to 5-6 feet tall with a heavy yield.
-------
TA64 Silkleaf
An old heirloom type that is not hardly found anymore, thanks to New Hope Tobacco for keeping this one available. A good producer of cigarette leaf, plants grow about 6 feet tall, and also does very well in tubs for growers with small amounts of space.
--------
TA81 Oriental Blend
As you probably know, most commercial cigarettes on the market today use a small amount of oriental tobacco ( about 10% normally ) to provide a good full flavor. We have tried a lot of different types, but found many of them too strong. We love this particular variety that was sent to us from a grower in Kentucky whose family has been growing their own tobacco for generations. We cannot pin down the exact variety, but it is the best blending oriental variety we have tested. It provides a full, but not stinging flavor to cigarette blends.
--------
TA55 Black Sea Samsun Turkish
This Turkish tobacco is among the best money can buy. Originating in the Samsun region of Turkey, along the Black Sea, this tobacco is renowned for its unique rich flavor. This plant has smaller leaves than other strains, but a very distinctive aroma. An excellent Turkish blend or unique by itself.
---------
TA101 Golden Seal Special Burley
An up right variety with more leaves than most varieties. Is taller than most varieties on the market. Cures a golden color. Good cigarette selection, one of the heaviest producers.

AmaxB

Looks like I might need to get the tiller back and break more ground ... am supposed to get seedlings from BigBonner plus the seeds that will be a few plants and veggies too (am inspired)
This should allow proper testing of my cure box.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Cigarettes are generally a blend of about 50% Flue cured VA, 40% Burley and 10% Turkish. You adjust strength with the Burley, mildness and smoothness with the virginia. Flavor with the Turkish. Plant accordingly. This blend just gets you in the neighborhood, blend to your taste.

AmaxB

Out of this group of seed the only one I have smoked is the VA Bright Leaf Knuckles. Getting the seed from Seedman from the description all I chose are ok for Ciggs my base will be the VA Bright the rest will be to try out blended to the bright leaf. Now that I am going to grow I will have opportunity to really experiment less the cost of buying leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.