Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Whats so bad about green cured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webby

The flavor sux this much I know. As I understand it the chlorophyll hasnt broken down.
What I would like to find out is if there are any adverse effects?

Webby

Yep thats what I thought but wanted it out there as I cant find much on the subject.

webmost

Wrong on all counts near as I can tell.

Just Saturday, I smoked an Alec Bradley Black Mareket nasty Hooligan. That's an AB Black Market, but with a candela wrapper rather than the usual blackwashed Jalapa wrapper. Started out tasting grassy as grass can grass, then smoothed out real quick to super sweet and mild. These cigars are tasty and in demand. The wrapper reminds me of when I was a kid and we used to chew on tall grass stems for the sweet juice.

Candela means the wrapper was purposely dried quick so that it would remain green. I have read that some years back this was one of the favorite wrappers for cigars. It's hard to find a premium cigar with a candela wrapper these days, though. In the past, I have scored a couple bundles of Factory Throwout # 59 cigars made by JC Newman, with what they call claro wrapper, but which are on the green side. I haven't seen those in a while. But those FTs kind of come and go according to what leaf the factory throws out.

So it's probably a matter of whether you do it the right way, quick flash cure to save the green, or the wrong way, dried before cured. I am no expert on the process, but I can tell you that a proper candela wrapper is a tasty thing. No cough, no sux, good flavor.

darren1979

First Time Grower
You have to be careful to get the process right with a candela wrapper, it can go from hero to zero in a hurry. Some of my adonis leaf cured light green when i had it hanging by a window. It tasted like shit, like i was smoking the grass cuttings.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A naturally cured cigar wrapper tastes (tongue taste) like tobacco when you place the unlit cigar into your mouth. During the 1950s and 1960s, candela wrapped cigars outsold all others in the US. It was "modern" and "sanitary." Once a candela wrapped cigar is lit, the flavor and aroma of the binder and filler provide the enjoyment. Yes. The initial taste is green and chlorophyll grassy. This goes away when the cigar is lit.

My own take on this is that with a candela wrapped cigar, you are simply missing the potential delight of a tasty wrapper. It's like a cupcake without the icing. You just get a muffin. Not bad, but not the same.

JR Cigars makes several superb JR Ultimate sizes in candela, if you want to give them a try: http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemlist/catid=253/JR-ULTIMATE.html.

ulc1.jpg

As filler, green-cured leaf usually tastes pretty awful. Inhale it? Blech!

Bob

Matty

I have some splotchy green flue cured. It is awful. Burns the inside of my mouth and tastes like burning trash. When I shred a batch of it I must be very careful to pick all the green out because even the smallest bit ruins the whole batch. As for adverse effects, it leaves my mouth raw. I haven't noticed anything else, I only smoke 4-5 cigs a day.

Webby

I have some splotchy green flue cured. It is awful. Burns the inside of my mouth and tastes like burning trash. When I shred a batch of it I must be very careful to pick all the green out because even the smallest bit ruins the whole batch. As for adverse effects, it leaves my mouth raw. I haven't noticed anything else, I only smoke 4-5 cigs a day.

That sounds about right, will pay more attention before shreddin now. Nice to know the whole leaf at tainted. I only smoke about 25 a day. Got about 2 ozs to get through or not.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Its-Not-Easy-Being-Green_8220
Candela wrappers are produced by special fire curing. It is a process, not an accident like air curing green.
Although the Cigar Aficionado article says "fire-cured," the process is a modified flue-curing regimen. Candela wrapper has no surface soot or smoky aroma / taste. Fire-curing maintains lower temperatures (rather than the 165ºF stated in the article), takes much longer, and leaves you with darkened leaf that smells and tastes "smoked," like a salmon or sausage.

Mechanically, the difference is that for flue-curing with fire, a stove pipe (a flue) conducts the smoke or combustion products away from the leaf and to the outdoors.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.