Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Members seed contributions and list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
2 bucks per packet is a fair price,

and may generate some income for the website,?

perhaps, whoever is in charge of this, could also do some web advertising,{ e-bay e,t,c,]

to sell some of the seeds, after the members have all choosen which seed they'd like, to get for 2013 crop,???

i'd say make a thread, for members to get seed, and let it run for a month,,

after that, all the seed would be on the open market, to generate revenue,????

thoughts<

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The warehouse has been set-up to handle shipping quite nicely. We're trying to fill orders the day we receive them and we're doing production packaging when we're not filling orders. My plan is to approach the seed packaging the same way. We'll pack 100 envelopes of each of the 25 most popular varieties and maybe 20 of the rest (or however many seeds we have of that variety). This will make shipping much easier in the future.

I'd like to limit the availability of the seeds to 2 - 3 months of the year. This will help limit the time needed to distribute the seeds and it will also help people keep tract of the seeds they get.

My position on distribution to donating members is set in stone. There will be no charge for seeds to anyone who donates seeds to the FTT collection. New members might have to pay for their first years supply and certainly non-members will pay cost and postage.

I'm hoping to have the most popular varieties pelleted in time for next years grow. Quantities made available to members will be unchanged. (100 of up to four varieties). If somebody wants to do an artisan grow for commercial production and if the quantity requested is available, there should be a fee.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
And I believe that the postage, at least, should be paid by any established members receiving seed--just my opinion. I also feel that members should pay for seed, maybe $2+ per packet, to cover the costs of packaging and labeling.

Bob

This is a timely topic. Just this morning I had a very long post going but decided not to post it. So, in a nutshell here are my thoughts. I think Don should charge everyone a minimum for seeds, maybe $2.50 per pack. I also think anyone doing a grow out for the seed bank should be vetted somehow. We need to ensure ABSOLUTELY that these seeds remain pure. With GRIN gone and probably not coming back unless you are a "professional" researcher the only real seeds are the one's currently held by Don. By charging money he can at least build up the seed business. I think this is really important. What happens 30 years from now when Don is an old fart ( some would argue he already is!) ? Who will maintain the seedbank? Children are famous for not following in their father's footsteps. With a money making seed business, someone would probably buy it and continue to offer unique heirloom tobacco seeds. Another thing, it's gotta be a real pain in the ass to maintain this list, ensuring stock gets rotated out for a grow. A couple of high school kids could be hired to help out on a seasonal bases and paid with money obtained from selling seeds. I have no problem with giving seed to the seed bank and paying for seed in return.

Randy B

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i agree, donating members or not,

2 bucks a package,

it's for the website, im sure no members will '' bitch'' .

SmokeStack

I received Xanthi Yaka 18A for this year's crop absolutely free. I am very grateful to get these seeds as I could not find them anywhere. So I feel obliged to donate seeds and do my part. I have no qualms about paying a few bucks for seeds.

I would emphasize that it is important to have diversity in the seed collection. By this I mean we should stock seeds that aren't available from seed vendors. We can always find TN90 from several online vendors, but there are many exotic Oriental varieties (Xanthi Yaka18A for example) that are almost impossible to find. We would not want to have such varietals go "extinct."

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
yes it would be nice to have it,,,

where when you click on the link, to go to the seed-bank

that the selection is so huge, a newcomer will be blown away,,,

at the selection, vs/ the other seeed sites,

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Do you guys think the collection of non-commercially available seeds should stay exclusive to members only or should the entire collection be made available commercially? The problem with "click to buy" set-ups is the programs can get expensive. I get by just fine with 20 buttons. The cost jumps pretty quick with 50 and 100 buttons. It really isn't any more cost effective to hand write orders either...probably less cost effective, plus the verification factor of a click to buy program can't be challenged.

If you're intent on paying for seeds, I think members should at least get a discount from what the general public would pay.

What are heirloom seeds worth that aren't available anywhere else in the world?

Last edited:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

I would add "certified" in the description somewhere. There are lots of companies that sell seeds that have meaningless names like "Havana" and "Black Sea Sampsun". But if the FTT seedbank can ensure the purity of the strain I think they would be worth a lot more.. to me at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brown Thumb

I can do.
N, Rustica, Pure no flowering plants around.
Va 309 Bagged
VA 509 Bagged
If you want them. Lots of it.
Tom

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
N, Rustica, Pure no flowering plants around.
Va 309 Bagged
VA 509 Bagged
If you want them. Lots of it.
Tom

The n.rustica can be just about anything.

The VA 309 is a Fire Cured type from 1991 and appears to be a hybrid.

The VA 509 is a Burley with no history in the GRIN other than it is listed in a concoction of many other Burley's used in developing a GMO Burley named KYBSS. The interesting thing about the Pedigree list is that it lists KY 17, VA 509, VA 528, KY 9, KY 14, KY 15, and Burley 21; and the cigar tobacco Beinhart 1000. Beinhart is one of the varieties in our seed collection listed under Oriental.

Where did you get your seeds from?

edit: I found a Virginia 509 deep in the vaults of the GRIN

Last edited:

leverhead

Do you guys think the collection of non-commercially available seeds should stay exclusive to members only or should the entire collection be made available commercially? The problem with "click to buy" set-ups is the programs can get expensive. I get by just fine with 20 buttons. The cost jumps pretty quick with 50 and 100 buttons. It really isn't any more cost effective to hand write orders either...probably less cost effective, plus the verification factor of a click to buy program can't be challenged.

If you're intent on paying for seeds, I think members should at least get a discount from what the general public would pay.

As far as availability to non-members goes, members should have the trump. Non-members can get what's left and add to the cause with their wallet. If it can't be had anywhere else, there should be some value in that. FmGrowit, if you're going to be the man in the middle, you should at least get your cost/time/trouble out of it. A member discount is a good thing, they're your suppliers, but fair weather members/general public can pay the going rate. The cost in care and labor to maintain a source for rare seed wouldn't be cheap if a fair value was placed on each, you KNOW the gubment spent a butt load of (our) money doing it, call it privatization.

That's my two cents worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Maybe donating members pay for the package? I dunno, was thinking bulk rate vs retail :)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
that GRIN trully is a amaazing place,

each time you guy's post a link to it, and i look at it,

im amazed at the ammount of crosses, that have been done, in the field of tobacco,

which i guess, is the importance of HEIRLOOM seeds,, it took me a while to understand the importance, but im slowing starting to come around,

it makes me ponder on next years crop, and what i may plant,

va. ,,,maryland, different burley's,,??????

but it's nice to know, when the time comes, the FTT seed bank, will have numerous seeds to choose from,

indianjoe

Founding Member
FM,
thanks for even considering a seed bank for heirloom tobacco seeds, no one else is going to take the time and effort, just look at our GRIN. These heirloom seeds are only going to be available for a limited time unless FTT can plan to keep it going. Contributing members could be given consideration, while others in public could be given the opportunity to finance the operation of the "bank". Rotations of the seeds could be continued by members as the need arises. The operations of the bank need only to be maintained during those months of functional operation, with members contributing various distribution efforts as well.

BarG

Founding Member
I'm down with what ever works best to maintain the seed bank and quality of seeds. An investment on a members part is a small price to pay and Jitterbugdudes right about documenting [mentioned by FmGrowit in previous thread or post.]

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I appreciate everyone's generosity here...I really do. I just can't justify selling seeds to the very people who not only make this site what it is, but selling you the seeds and expecting seeds to refresh the inventory is just not right.

The only fair thing to do would be to pay you for the seeds you return to the collection.

I doubt it will happen in this thread, but there will come a day when this issue is raised by someone who isn't even a member today...but it will become an issue.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I refuse to take payment for what all our tax dollars paid for (grin) . Do you have a PO box listed anywhere for us to send seed to? I plan on sending the original grin packs for the unique varieties I have, I wont bother sending the common types like ytb though hehe. I received a bunch of seed last year that likely don't exist anywhere else now that they are gone. Once I replicate more from the stock I am growing this year I want to send it all in. Certified ... we should all send certified btw, would hate to see ineptitude accomplish what ignorance couldn't when grin was shut down.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I appreciate everyone's generosity here...I really do. I just can't justify selling seeds to the very people who not only make this site what it is, but selling you the seeds and expecting seeds to refresh the inventory is just not right.

The only fair thing to do would be to pay you for the seeds you return to the collection.

I doubt it will happen in this thread, but there will come a day when this issue is raised by someone who isn't even a member today...but it will become an issue.

Don,

Sell or no sell I think seed contributing members should have first dibs, then "non-contributing" members and then the general public.

I understand that administering this will be a pain. You might consider members who give seed TO the bank GET seed from the bank free (with limits). Other members pay a nominal fee (say a couple of bucks) and the general public pays what the traffic will bear. Set a time limit for requests so you don't get caught with no seed for a member request because you managed to sell it all. As I understand it the goal is not to make a fortune but maintain a viable seed bank. There are a lot of guys out there (me included) who will try to grow out whatever you need. I volunteered this year but got no request. I will know in a month or so what I do have to contribute this year if it is needed.

If you anticipate an issue with people who are not yet members you might consider setting a policy now. Then the new complainers could be referred to the policy. That not withstanding, this forum was started by you and you do most of the work. I see no reason why you can't set the rules and MAYBE make a profit down the line.

Count on whatever help I can give.

John

Matty

I concur that contributing members get first pick for seeds followed by members and then the general public; a time limit for each group to be able to procure their seeds of choice. As I have no seeds to contribute, yet, I would have no problems with paying for seeds, seeing it more of an investment than a purchase. Don, you should definitely make sure you are making some sort of profit, I would hate to see you doing this for free.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Don, you should definitely make sure you are making some sort of profit, I would hate to see you doing this for free.

Thanks Matty, but like I've always said..."It's cheaper giving seeds away than selling them". It's only human nature (or has become human nature) to bitch when people pay for something, they expect more from it than it it was free.

The biggest complaint I ever got from "free" seeds is that they didn't get the seeds. This was sometimes due to the complainer misplacing them, the post office losing them and me over-looking the request. If I start selling seeds, people will start complaining about germination rates, plant quality, seeds count, etc. etc.

Sometimes I think the best thing to do with the seeds is just keep them in the family, but that seems greedy.

There is no easy answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.