Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"Long Filler" Cigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I tried to fill some cigarette tubes with non-shredded but broken (correct size for cigarette tubes) tobacco leaves with a hand operated cigarette injector (electric injectors may not work with bigger pieces of leaves). These "long filler" cigarettes taste milder to me with respect to shredded tobacco filled cigarettes and their aroma were more clear. They also lasted longer (approx. 10 min of burning time) Anyone tried this before ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Not in a cigarette. Sometimes I just tear off a piece of leaf, wad it up and stuff it in the pipe. It seems to last longer and smoke cooler.

leverhead

(the old) Bull Durham hand rolling tobacco was "disc cut", smallish flakes that came in a small bag (real messy). I've tried different cut widths from .08" (2 mm) down to .02" (.5 mm), I've settled on .03" (.75 mm). The coarser cuts would burn slower but would "spider", burn unevenly. The finer cuts seem like they would be better for "stubborn" slow burning blends. All I can say about the flavor is that fresh cut tobacco is harsher than cut tobacco that has been rested for a week or more.

I think I've read somewhere that that the Turkish hand rolling tobacco's have different cut widths depending on the tobacco or blend, between .02 - .04" (.5 - 1 mm). If that's for burning characteristics, flavor or both, I don't know.

istanbulin

Founding Member
...I think I've read somewhere that that the Turkish hand rolling tobacco's have different cut widths depending on the tobacco or blend, between .02 - .04" (.5 - 1 mm). If that's for burning characteristics, flavor or both, I don't know.

All hand rolling tobaccos are fine cut here with the mid-ribs. Like the photo below.

adiyaman-celikhan-tutunu.png

driftinmark

wow istanbulin that is fine shredded for sure....
I use a speghetti maker to do mine, I used to run it thru 3 times and it would come out with a good shred, but latley I have only been sending it thru
2 times, it is a lot less shredded but it seems to taste milder and it stays in the tubes better....

istanbulin

Founding Member
...2 times, it is a lot less shredded but it seems to taste milder and it stays in the tubes better....

Actually this is why I tried to fill the tubes with larger pieces of tobacco. Regular cut tobaccos never stay regular in tubes. I'm using a cigarette case like the photo below sometimes but when I open the case after a 15 min. walk everytime I found tobaccos out of tubes :)

FB,1251,49,cigar-sigara-tabakasi-sevgililer-gunu-hediyeleri-philippi.jpg

istanbulin

Founding Member
Not in a cigarette. Sometimes I just tear off a piece of leaf, wad it up and stuff it in the pipe. It seems to last longer and smoke cooler.

I've never tried it but I will. Are you folding and stuffing it into pipe like a flake tobacco ?

driftinmark

thats almost the same case I use, thats why im going to try a little honey topping on my next batch, its supposed to help the tobacco stay in the tubes better
but I really dont mind losing a little, I mind what im putting into them these days....

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've never tried it but I will. Are you folding and stuffing it into pipe like a flake tobacco ?

I don't know what flake tobacco is. I tear off a single piece like 2" x 2" or 2"x3" and wad it up and stuff it in the pipe. It sort of burns from the outside in instead of inside out.

ne3go

I tried to fill some cigarette tubes with non-shredded but broken (correct size for cigarette tubes) tobacco leaves
What are the dimensions of a piece of broken tobacco leave? Do you make these by hand or with a machine?

istanbulin

Founding Member
What are the dimensions of a piece of broken tobacco leave? Do you make these by hand or with a machine?

I just tore the leaf in random dimensions by hand. Mostly long and narrow pieces to fit them to the size of the tube.

Webby

That looks finer than ryo bacci u get in nz,I think ours is about a .5mm(0.2"),from wat I've noticed most pasta machines are cutting around 1 mm(0.4")on rhe smallest angel spaghetti pasta setting

Yep our roll your owns are down about the .5 - .75mm. Ended up buying a Cuthof just to be able to emulate the cut. I found my first season that cutting with a knife was to tedious and hard on arthritic hands (not that old just a family thing).
I went to a parsley grinder towards the end of the crop and found it slower burning and mild like most others. Imo, the finer cut allows more air around the strands causing better combustion, the finer the hotter and faster. Hence porting and polishing back in the days.
Here's my cut on it.

P3190099.jpg

Webby

Yeh mate does come with a press but i dont use it as it leaves loose ends. I have a press that i used to use when i was cutting with a knife that works better. The loose ends dont go through the cuthof so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.