Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Canada Tobacco Taxes & The CBSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakota

Founding Member
I just received 6 lbs and the duty was 113.40. Tried to talk to the CBSA and dealing with these guys is a pain. Did not matter what I told him it was wrong and he was right. I will have to appeal their decision and hopefully get someone that knows the law. I hope that someone there does know the law and give it a fair assessment. From everything I have read the duty is $1.572/kilo(2.2 lbs) Here is their latest tax act. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2008/tn30-eng.html

istanbulin

Founding Member
You should get contact with smugglers :D Just kidding but yours is not a tax, it's a robbery.

driftinmark

wow, from the looks of that document, you should have only paid 5 dollars canadian......that sucks

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I hope you get to talk to someone that knows what he's talking about. That price can't be right. That would double the cost of your leaf.

Matty

I'm begining to get really pissed at the cbsa. Last order I got, roughly 4lbs, I was charged about $15 duty and over $350 for friggen taxes. Thats twice now in the past year. I've sent in the forms to contest the assesment and am waiting for a response. At those prices it would be cheaper to buy high quality store bought tobacco. I'm very, very angry.

Lakota

Founding Member
Somehow the CBSA assessed it to be 300.00 value, I guess they just put what ever price on it that they want to. I will contest it and see what their response is. What I don't understand is why Matty pays so much with less tobacco than I received. Below is a quote from HTGT by Warman

After almost a month I finally have my tobacco!
icon_surprised.gif

It was sent back to CBSA for appeal, only to have it arrive back a week later with the same charges. After a few trips to the post office they determined that it never made it back to CBSA so sent it out again. This week I finally got the call from CBSA and they changed the commodity code back to whole leaf tobacco.
From $436 in duty/tax down to $11 and change. I'm breathing a sigh of relief!
Thanks for the info!
W.

Lakota

Founding Member
JBD the tobacco I grow smells nothing like the fire cured, I really like the smell of it. So do my 2 Dogs ( Akita and a Burmese Mountain) and 2 cats. Had to put it up so they didn't drag it off. Be bad if they got addicted and I had to buy or make chew for them. It would be costly if the CBSA doesn't drop the price.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Is there anyway of asking the CBSA how to lable packages to keep this from happening again .

Whole leaf or unstemed , unprocessed tobacco . Maybe they can give a tax code ( numbers ) to clearly show the contents .

Matty

Last order, customs CHANGED THE DESCRIPTION from unstemmed whole leaf to commercial pipe tobacco 200g, sounds outright crimminal to me. It was an order of about 4lbs of whole leaf. I even checked out the tax rates for different tobacco and can't even come close to their numbers. I sure hope I get some money back. As for wording the description I have no idea what to say. One of the packages that came through with no problems had the description:

Whole leaf, unstemmed, unprocessed tobacco for personal use.

I would imagine some sort of code would work too, maybe better.

I know I should grow my own, I just had trouble getting seeds this time around. There's always next year I guess. i

BigBonner

Founding Member
Matty you should still have time to start seeds and grow a crop .

I know the farther north we go the shorter growing season . But I believe that anyone could get by no matter how short of a grow season by topping two weeks before a frost whether you see a bud / bloom or not .
Topping will ripen about any tobacco no matter the age .

I like topping burley with out the plants showing bloom or bud cluster showing .

DonH

Matty it shouldn't be too late to start seeds. Since you are farther north you can't put them into the ground until early June, anyway. Do you know when your average last frost is? I'm guessing around June 1. You're not that much farther north than I am. So if you started seeds now, you would have 8 weeks to get them ready. If you got seeds in a week you would still be fine.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Last order, customs CHANGED THE DESCRIPTION from unstemmed whole leaf to commercial pipe tobacco 200g, sounds outright crimminal to me. It was an order of about 4lbs of whole leaf. I even checked out the tax rates for different tobacco and can't even come close to their numbers. I sure hope I get some money back. As for wording the description I have no idea what to say. One of the packages that came through with no problems had the description:

Whole leaf, unstemmed, unprocessed tobacco for personal use.

I would imagine some sort of code would work too, maybe better.

I know I should grow my own, I just had trouble getting seeds this time around. There's always next year I guess. i

What kind of seed do you need?

Matty

Chewing tobacco for dogs, yeah, lol. Well, if you guys think it's not too late I'll give it a shot. Lakota said he'd send me some seeds, I should be alright with that. Thanks.

Matty

Couldn't sleep so I been reading. I found the harmonized classification numbers for shipping. Everything thar is shipped has a number that describes it. HS numbers for whole leaf start off as 2401.10. Flue cured virginia is 2401.10.10.00 (if I remember). Theres codes for burley, oriental, refuse (scraps) and more. As for how to use them, I dunno yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.