Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Roadkill jerky ... anyone tried this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeezyjohn

As it warms up here in the UK I'm starting to see a lot of road-kill on the roads near me as I do every year about this time.

There has been pheasants, badgers, squirrels etc ... (squirrels seem too little and boney and badgers eat too much meat for me to try eating ... I've had a few pheasants this way though) - but I've also seen quite a few deer.

I'm a big fan of biltong - a kind of jerky from South Africa that uses salt, chili, herbs and spices only (no sugar) ... has anyone tried making jerky from fresh roadkill before - or just made jerky from the whole animal before? Are there any tips from you good people on how I should go about this the next time I find an animal.

Cheers

Squeezy

Waste not; want not!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
As it warms up here in the UK I'm starting to see a lot of road-kill on the roads near me as I do every year about this time.

There has been pheasants, badgers, squirrels etc ... (squirrels seem too little and boney and badgers eat too much meat for me to try eating ... I've had a few pheasants this way though) - but I've also seen quite a few deer.

I'm a big fan of biltong - a kind of jerky from South Africa that uses salt, chili, herbs and spices only (no sugar) ... has anyone tried making jerky from fresh roadkill before - or just made jerky from the whole animal before? Are there any tips from you good people on how I should go about this the next time I find an animal.

Cheers

Squeezy

Waste not; want not!
I've made a lot of jerky, some of it venison. As I understand it the problem with road kill is it doesn't bleed out. I guess if you got the kill pretty fresh, cut it up quickly and soaked everything in cold water you could make it work. Some years ago a buddy hit a deer near my place. I came home from work to see it hanging from my deck. It was still warm. I gutted it, let it hang for a week and cut it up. I lost a hind quarter to bruising (not good for anything except dog food) but the rest was fine. Because of the situation the heart, liver, kidneys etc. also became dog food. I think if the dogs found out where it came from the deer population would have been in real trouble. They loved it.

squeezyjohn

I've made a lot of jerky, some of it venison. As I understand it the problem with road kill is it doesn't bleed out. I guess if you got the kill pretty fresh, cut it up quickly and soaked everything in cold water you could make it work. Some years ago a buddy hit a deer near my place. I came home from work to see it hanging from my deck. It was still warm. I gutted it, let it hang for a week and cut it up. I lost a hind quarter to bruising (not good for anything except dog food) but the rest was fine. Because of the situation the heart, liver, kidneys etc. also became dog food. I think if the dogs found out where it came from the deer population would have been in real trouble. They loved it.

Thanks for that Johnlee - forgive my ignorance, what does bleed out mean? I understand about the bruising not being suitable - but I have never made any jerky before. The one roadkill deer I did butcher and eat before was incredibly tough meat but I put that down to insufficient hanging time.

Cheers

Squeezy

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanks for that Johnlee - forgive my ignorance, what does bleed out mean? I understand about the bruising not being suitable - but I have never made any jerky before. The one roadkill deer I did butcher and eat before was incredibly tough meat but I put that down to insufficient hanging time.

Cheers

Squeezy
When you slaughter you hang the animal, usually by it's hind legs and cut the throat. The blood will drain from the meat while it is still fluid. I was taught and believe excess blood in the meat is not a good thing but I can't tell you exactly why. That is why with road kill I cut up small and soak in cold water. This usually means stew or ragout but not always. Brined venison steaks are quite tasty.

Markw

Deer I have never been fortunate enough to have run a deer over yet. I get a few pheasants, bunnies and pigeons sometimes. I normally stick them in the freezer and save them up for a nice game pie.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Deer I have never been fortunate enough to have run a deer over yet. I get a few pheasants, bunnies and pigeons sometimes. I normally stick them in the freezer and save them up for a nice game pie.
If you ever hit a deer you won't think you are fortunate. You could buy the meat cheaper than the repairs.

Markw

Hi John they are fellow deer or roebuck over here, and yes they do a lot of damage if you hit them. one jumped through my friend car windscreen he was lucky, the car was a total *right-off.They a becoming a big problem at the moment over here.

squeezyjohn

That's so true ... I've had several friends have their cars written off by deer strike.

I was thinking about the ones that other people were unfortunate enough to hit! The deer I ate last time was muntjac - good flavour but tough as old boots! I just hate to think of the animals life being wasted just to rot there on the road.

And I love biltong!

BarG

Founding Member
Recipe for road kill jerky:
1=- do a smell test If it stinks, resmell to reassure itd fresh, :D
2-scrape or wash any asphalt, fenderpaint, or other debris off
3-cook and devour
4-If any body asks what there eating reply; Wild Chicken, better than store bought!

Boboro

To make game tender you have to age it. Hang it in in a cold place for a week or so. You have to. or its tougf.

jekylnz

If your unfortunate enough to hit a deer,just hope u hit it hard enough that it u dont get the shyte kicked out of u as it tries to get back out of your windscreen off your lap,lol,hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.