Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

5 gal buckets

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICH

I've seen mention in here of people using 5 gallon buckets for there containers.My question is has anyone used old one's that use to have oil in them,as I have access to quite a few at this time.If I clean them in a wash tank and let them dry will I be ok with transplanting into them? :confused:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I've seen mention in here of people using 5 gallon buckets for there containers.My question is has anyone used old one's that use to have oil in them,as I have access to quite a few at this time.If I clean them in a wash tank and let them dry will I be ok with transplanting into them? :confused:
Sure, I do it all the time. I wash them really well and then let them sit in the sun for couple of weeks. The way to tell if you really got then oil free is to fill them with water and let them sit over night. If you see an oil slick on the surface the next morning they aren't clean yet. Perhaps surprisingly this is a VERY sensitive test. That iridescent slick you see on top of the water is only a few hundred angstroms thick. So we are able to detect a few parts/million with the naked eye. It's almost as sensitive as the nose and dogs noses are even more sensitive.

RICH

Thanks;I thought they would be fine,but with tobacco of which I no NOTHING I thought it was wise to ask.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanks;I thought they would be fine,but with tobacco of which I no NOTHING I thought it was wise to ask.
Right now I have a stock of black and white 5 gal buckets. I'm trying to find out which is better. Will the black buckets in the sun cook the plants? I have no clue. Any help is welcome.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The former FTT member Daniel (who did some massive bucket grow-outs) considered the black buckets a problem for growing in Nevada. I don't think you have enough direct sun in your location to really be an issue.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The former FTT member Daniel (who did some massive bucket grow-outs) considered the black buckets a problem for growing in Nevada. I don't think you have enough direct sun in your location to really be an issue.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I was planning on putting some of the smaller orientals in buckets. They're heavy but I should be able to move them some if they get too hot.

Fisherman

The amount of oil in a washed and aired out bucket would not I think be much a factor as nature has bacteria that eats oil anyway. Add a lil compost to your mix and it should be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.