Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My take on WholeLeafTobacco offerings, reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyRYO

Note: I originally had this hidden in the private section. I am very much into quality RYO, and the last place I figured I would end up is with whole leaf, but after trying them, these tobaccos are worth special mention imo.

Bright Virginia - this stuff is fantastic! Super thick leaf, wonderful gold color. Pronounced sweet melon taste, that I find addicting. Cool burning, not harsh like many Virginias, so easy to smoke. Decent body. I rate in the stratosphere with Orlik Golden Sliced, if you have tried that.

Red Virginia - super stuff! A little harsher than the Bright, but not at all harsh like many Virginias. Burns cool for type. More straight forward sweetness and flavor. Blended with the Bright, makes a super smoke!

Lemon Virginia - very nice! Beautiful thick leaf, nice yellow color. As expected, the mildest of the Virginias. Good mild natural flavors, decent body, mild sweetness, would appeal most to light smokers. If you have tried it, reminds me of Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Gold. At half the price, ye ha!

Izmir Turkish - top quality example! Coveted small leaf. Clean tasting, perfect blender imo. Reminds me of C&D Izmir Turkish, just fresher tasting. Great price.

Dark Fired - unique! Heavyyyyy BBQ scent, greasy super thick leaf, but mild on the palate. Different from Kentucky blends I have tried, makes a nice "spice" tobacco imo.

Burley - Nice thick leaf, good rich natural burley flavor, full body, plenty of N. A little harsh and overwhelming blended with the Virginias. This needs some casing/topping/aging work for me. I am interested in any Prince Albert like recipes out there?

Maryland - Nice thick pliable leaf. Less oomph than the burley. Again, still overpowers the Virginia, needs some casing/topping work for me.

Don gets A++ from me!

holyRYO

Nice summary man. One question though why do you roll all those pipe tobaccos?

Kendal Gold is a shag, no problem. Orlik is a flake that rubs out to a fine ribbon, no problem rolling or injected. I often blend flakes with traditional RYO baccy for a better burn.

BarG

Founding Member
I like a little dark fired mixed in my cigs. on occassion, But I realy enjoy a nice strip of it in my cigars. I can't say I have ever tried the lemon virginia.

holyRYO

Nice summary man. One question though why do you roll all those pipe tobaccos?
Why I roll pipe tobaccos?
I have tried most D&R, all the PS, and 4 of the Newminster , the so called "RYO themed /pipe tobaccos/ ribbon and shag cuts". I find a bunch of the traditional pipe tobaccos are just better. Now I find the whole leaf stuff superior to most anything traditionally offered for RYOer's and up to or better than the finest pipe tobaccos... much cheaper also. For me it's all about flavor, so I don't mind shredding it ... so far, anyway.

driftinmark

Why I roll pipe tobaccos?
I have tried most D&R, all the PS, and 4 of the Newminster , the so called "RYO themed /pipe tobaccos/ ribbon and shag cuts". I find a bunch of the traditional pipe tobaccos are just better. Now I find the whole leaf stuff superior to most anything traditionally offered for RYOer's and up to or better than the finest pipe tobaccos... much cheaper also. For me it's all about flavor, so I don't mind shredding it ... so far, anyway.

What I like about it is its a very clean flavor, I can detect most of the toppings these days from other tobaccos, but the fresh from the farm thing is by far the best I have ever smoked....I still get my tubes from my local smoke shop and he always asks me if I want any tobacco today, Im always like no, you dont have the quality that I have been smoking, lol....the best thing they have in their stock is the american spirit and once in a while I do get a black pouch......

I do like the d and r ramback for the orientals, its a great flavor along with 3 sails, but Ill take Dons or Larrys bright leaf any day of the week!!!
I sitll use a speghetti maker to shred, but I see the day when I order a powermatic from don , its coming soon, lol

Seanz

Cool guys I was just wondering. I mainly smoke a pipe but cigars are moving in. When i used smoke ciggs i was always a rollie guy. I think the main reason i got into the pipe was i couldnt cut my leaf fine enough for rolling and now a cig just feels wierd.

DonH

Am smoking a puro of Lemon Virginia. Very nice! Definitely well named, it does have a lemon favor to it. Looking forward to blending it with the other Virginias.

DonH

Just tried WLT's Maryland. Beautiful leaves, amazing mahogany color. Both the fragrance and the taste has a black cherry flavor to it that's really nice. Smoked a puro and the cherry flavor came through. A little harsh, which is to be expected so I am looking forward to toasting it.

DonH

Just tried WLT's Maryland. Beautiful leaves, amazing mahogany color. Both the fragrance and the taste has a black cherry flavor to it that's really nice. Smoked a puro and the cherry flavor came through. A little harsh, which is to be expected so I am looking forward to toasting it.
It's also very combustible so it helps add that to a blend.

holyRYO

Smoking a 80% Bright and 20% Dark Fired mix in a tube... lovely. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.