Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"Evil scientist" of Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliko

I'm a Botany Student and I am trying to combine traits of different tobacco plants to get multiple varieties to have the same traits they have now (flavor and the like) but to get the most leaf matter per plant and allow them to grow in soil types from mostly sand or clay to good rich compost and everything in between. In short I want to get some tobacco that produces a lot and can grow is just about any soil type.

I plan on growing everything indoors with grow lights in a variety of different soils and doing this by trying to clone traits from the best samples I can get so if anyone knows any varieties that are known for large or more than normal leaf matter per plant or strains that grow even in poor soil please let me know and if anyone would have some extra seeds from said strains and wouldn't mind sharing it would be a big help since college student = broke.

thanks much for your time and hope I get to talk to you all.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You may successfully optimize and stabilize one attribute in an intensive development program over about 7 years (typical for agricultural research station tobacco varietal development). It's not exactly a semester-length project.

Bob

EDIT: I really don't mean to sound discouraging. Give her a try. But be prepared for a lot of work, disappointment and unsure outcome.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'd be interested if you could cross a filler with a binder and a wrapper. That way I can just grow one type of plant for my cigars.....:D

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'd be interested if you could cross a filler with a binder and a wrapper. That way I can just grow one type of plant for my cigars.....:D
I do that right now at times. Lonnie's Havana is versatile enough that I do some puros where it is all three. Decent mild cigar. I do like to use different binder and wrapper but the puro does work OK.

Boboro

Most the collage work ends up anti tobacco. SO we are a little skepical. But They are ppl. here that will help you because we have nuttan to hide.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
please let me know and if anyone would have some extra seeds from said strains and wouldn't mind sharing it would be a big help since college student = broke.

Thanks for posting your seed request in the forum. I'm not sure if it's from the lack of proper punctuation or if it just went over everyone's heads. Most of the time, guys are more than willing to send other members seeds upon request. Maybe if you added a few more posts, people will be a little less reluctant to send seeds to someone with only one post.

As for your request to the seed bank...it would be be hugely unfair to those before you who also missed the deadline to request seeds if I were to honor your request.

I hope you understand.

Oh, guys, this guy is a Lakota referral.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Our membership is spread all over the globe. US, Canada, NZ, UK, Sweden, Turkey, Greece, Slovenia, etc. I have yet to see a single post where a member has seen a preference of one variety over another for a particular soil type. From the grow blogs I have read, pretty much all varieties are being successfully raised in all different soil types and climates. As far as heavy yielders, I will let the other guys weigh in on that score, I'm still reading and preparing for my first grow. I don't have many seed of any variety, 100 -300 of each, but I'll be happy to share some of what I have, once you have a better idea of what you would to grow. I can send a seed list to you. Welcome to the forum.

Eliko

Well thanks to you all for offering your warm welcomes and I guess I can understand why some of you may not think I am what I say I am but it's mainly a love of plants that got me into this. I'm not a smoker / chewer / anything of the sort but I do highly approve of the use of home grown tobacco over store bought for the crazy additives for starters that the bigger companies all add into it. My main use for it now is the organic pesticide that the leaf matter soaked in warm water makes. I also like how a plant that comes out taller than me with flowers that attract pollinators and humming birds can come from a seed the size of a pin prick.

and Delux I know the kind of work that goes into it as I've already started with different types of lettuce and then sunflowers that's why I'm here trying to work on my next project. This is why I also grow indoor so that I can say to heck with the seasons.

to everyone. I am NOT here to beg for seeds by any means and I am sorry if it in any way came off as that. If you wish to volunteer some then that would be wonderful but I'm mainly here for the ability to pick your brains on the topic of tobacco as far as growth, grafting, germination, different strains, suckers, and anything else that I can use to my advantage in my latest project.

I really do hope that I can talk to all of you and learn what you have learned as well as get to know you all. :p

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Status
Not open for further replies.