Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bad seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

If you mean bad seed, like OLD with low germination rate, I would expect that the few that do sprout would retain all the qualities of the parent plant.

Playing "devils advocate" I will suggest that the few that do sprout would be the result of them being from the STRONGEST seeds, not the weakest, and that those plants would definitely be worth "growing out".

skychaser

When you get a seed to germinate from bad seed can the seedling be a weaklin?

Yup, it sure can. Germination is one thing. Viability of the seedling is another. Sometimes you can get old or poor seed to seeds to sprout, but they may be so week that they run out of energy before they can establish themselves enough to start taking in water and nutrients.

squeezyjohn

I'm pretty sure that's what's happened with my Alida seeds from the tobacco museum in Stockholm ... the germination rate was lower than 10% and the surviving seedlings are still alive - but at 35 days they look like they have just started - just 2 tiny baby leaves and no growth while the YTB looks like a proper little plant now.

BarG

Founding Member
I have had one seed germinate out of a hundred of Katsuyama, but is taking off to be a healthy looking plant. I have no clue as to the age of seeds.

Ashauler

Founding Member
I had about the same results with some Frog Eye Orinoco, BarG. The lone survivor is looking pretty healthy, but it's also being treated like a King.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Ooh follow that frog closely, it was one I meant to do and didn't do for 2 years now

Status
Not open for further replies.