Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Alternate planting method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

So I have a couple areas that I can put some of my plants at friends places, but cannot till up the planting areas. I am thinking holes 6" diameter and about 12" deep with a post hole digger, then using a good mix of topsoil in the hole to bury the plant. Should be enough space for a good root ball to form and not have the total root growth limitation of a 1gal nursery pot. Any thoughts? Too labor intensive for quantity planting, but seems like a good idea for 10-12 plants of several varieties planted in different areas.

DonH

So I have a couple areas that I can put some of my plants at friends places, but cannot till up the planting areas. I am thinking holes 6" diameter and about 12" deep with a post hole digger, then using a good mix of topsoil in the hole to bury the plant. Should be enough space for a good root ball to form and not have the total root growth limitation of a 1gal nursery pot. Any thoughts? Too labor intensive for quantity planting, but seems like a good idea for 10-12 plants of several varieties planted in different areas.
6" seems way too small. What surrounds the hole? Grass? If so the grass roots would choke the tobacco roots, I would guess.

DGBAMA

A couple flower bed spaces where weeds are not a problem (the idea of attracting hummin birds persuaded my friend)

Grass (shallow rooted) in another area (driveway border) would be an 8"diameter hole with a half buried 4" piece of 4" drain pipe surrounding the plant to keep weeds/roots from encroaching on the tobacco plant.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm pretty sure tobacco roots spread out more than they go deep. I saw some plants boboro pulled up, I think in his grow blog. They looked 12" around and about 8" deep. These were old plants so I'm sure a lot of the lateral roots were deteriorated and torn loose.

DGBAMA

i guess I will just call this an experiment, since it appears I will have more seedlings than I have space to plant. Better to put them in the ground and give them a chance than feed them to the chickens. Will document the results, good or bad.

DonH

i guess I will just call this an experiment, since it appears I will have more seedlings than I have space to plant. Better to put them in the ground and give them a chance than feed them to the chickens. Will document the results, good or bad.
Don't worry about having too many seedlings. You'll need to have backups in small pots to replace ones that die or get damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.