Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hydroponic seed saving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I've got a couple plants (Izmir Ozbas) in my hydroponic set up. I know it's not the most economic way of growing tobacco or realistic way of growing tobacco but I'm doing it just to exercise my green thumb. I plan on saving the seed and hopefully will transfer the genetic traits that the mother plant acquired being grown indoors under grow light.

I want to know your folks' opinions on this question: is it worth giving people these seeds?

I know there isn't a market really for indoor grown tobacco so I wouldn't be selling them. But I feel it would be a good form of tobacco to have. I wonder after a couple generations if the roots would grow shallower and the plant would slowly adjust to having more water flow near the roots?

Chime in please!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Unusual growing conditions are likely to alter epigenetic traits that may affect the F1 generation of selfed seed. Unless you engage in an active selective process for a number of generations, the underlying genetics of your plants will remain unchanged.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Unusual growing conditions are likely to alter epigenetic traits that may affect the F1 generation of selfed seed. Unless you engage in an active selective process for a number of generations, the underlying genetics of your plants will remain unchanged.Bob
So if you like it save the seed.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
We'll see how the plants turn out. If anything it's a learning process!

Status
Not open for further replies.