Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Whalen from Maryland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalen

Been a lurker here for a while, I am a second year grower and have a bit of a twist to my selections and needs. My wife is a smoker and i have blended fine tobaccos from Daughters and Ryan, Peter Stokebyes, and others for years.

I enjoyed smoking fine tobaccos myself until I went down suddenly from early onset heart problems. Short story is that I recovered nicely with diet and exercise, yet the smoking had to stop. Soooo, I have chewed, snused and used snuff to quit and still enjoy better health and tobacco, (not preaching, smoke em if you got em!).

I am focused on making fine tobacco snuffs, and have had some good luck and fortune with it. The best tobaccos are Zimbabwe for most snuffs. I purchased from overseas sources, no problem. But I have had some wonderful sweet Virginia leaf that made some wonderful snuff, and I am always on the prowl for something special.

I am wanting to make a good dark leaf cigar snuff, along with some others. My needs are for some wonderful curing, snuff batches are small, and usually fermented and aged. I have gotten pretty good at blending, aging, and flavoring, and just really appreciate a good leaf! I used to hang out at the tobacco auctions in Maryland and learned quite a bit.

Right now I have gotten hold of some Y1 hybrid tobacco, and am working on a high nicotine snuff, Rustica has too much drip, although it can be aged wonderfully.

Just saying hello, and keep me in mind if you grow something that might be interesting, Tobacco that smells great but smokes rough is right for my needs. You guys know your leaf, I am hoping that this might just open up some thinking about that leaf that you just were so happy with that just did not smoke just right. Perfect curing of the leaf is about 90% of the secret to a great snuff, I am still trying, it is an art to be proud of, has to be! Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Welcome to the site and thanks for joining.

I grew an experimental Zambian variety and it has the exact characteristics you've mentioned. It's a mahogany red color with great aroma, but it's difficult to smoke.

Your experience in making snuff can be very useful to other members in the smokeless tobacco forum.
Jessica Bolin is a crook Jessica Bolin is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off Motion City Hosting is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off MotionCityMedia.com is a rip off

Last edited:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i grow a pimitive with large leaves from ecuador called duale, very high sugar content which i am hoping will aid the fermentation process. high nic content supposedly too but i havent tried the tops yet.
i hung the stocks once the petals dropped and i am allowing the seeds to finish off totally. i want real good germination from them, seeds will be sent to our seedbank once done.

Whalen

Welcome to the site and thanks for joining.

I grew an experimental Zambian variety and it has the exact characteristics you've mentioned. It's a mahogany red color with great aroma, but it's difficult to smoke.

Your experience in making snuff can be very useful to other members in the smokeless tobacco forum.

Thanks! Yes, Zambian/African the dark red and very tasty tobacco, yet not a good smoker, it will take on a deep fermentation and continue to develop rich flavors. Most English snuffs use them as a base and benifit from the rich underlying base flavor.

Whalen

Whalen from Maryland.. whereabouts are you in Maryland?, I'm in Cecil County up near Rising Sun.
Randy B

I am in Sharpsburg Md, about a 68 calibers distance from the Antietem Battlefield. I live in a heavy forest on the river and do my growing in friends gardens and farmers fields. (with permission). Makes watering and tending a PITA though. I work as a contracter to Verizon wireless, and I eventually travel to every cell site there is, I have been all over your area, very pretty fields there. Thanks for the reply! Looking forward to being a member, soory about the newbie aspect of getting up to speed, and getting to know people. I think that a lot of people share my fascination with the art of growing, curing, and exploring tobacco. My needs and interests are a bit different, but hey, that's what makes life an interesting journey.

Whalen

i grow a pimitive with large leaves from ecuador called duale, very high sugar content which i am hoping will aid the fermentation process. high nic content supposedly too but i havent tried the tops yet.
i hung the stocks once the petals dropped and i am allowing the seeds to finish off totally. i want real good germination from them, seeds will be sent to our seedbank once done.

This one sounds very interesting, the high sugar makes for a good toasted tobacco. I will Wiki this one, what is its suitability? A cigar filler?. As a primitive it could be anything. I loved my growing and curing with Rustica, it just has a tendency to drip. Easy to grow though.

Whalen

Yeah! My back yard, I get over there a lot. If you would face the visitors center, I am located about 1/4 mile over your right shoulder. Are you a grower?

Whalen

I have no idea how an angry emoticon got into that header for my post! Oh well, I'm anything but angry!

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I have no idea how an angry emoticon got into that header for my post! Oh well, I'm anything but angry!
What angry emoticon? ;)
Jessica Bolin is a crook Jessica Bolin is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off Motion City Hosting is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off MotionCityMedia.com is a rip off

Last edited:

Whalen

Thanks! I was out inspecting my basement for cracks and would have sworn there was an angry emoticon there a second ago!:cool:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
it came from duale ecuador in the 30's and as far as i can tell no one else is growing it, there is no info on it on the net other then the initial grow by the usda. it's anyones guess what it is like. i didnt keep up with the suckers so good so the leaf size suffered. it has been in the ground for close to 3 months though so it should be done or nearly so. i will be harvesting the stalks at the end of the month. 3 months should be enough, maybe i should do another 2 weeks but then freezes start being possible

Whalen

I was surprised at first not to be able to find any info on this strain. I wish you the best of luck and will be interested to hear what develops.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.