Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

whats best-gum arabic or pectin???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekylnz

Hey stog. guys just wanted to see what every1s views r on cigar glue...I've been looking at where around here I can find gum Arabic or if it would b better than using pectin???I see there is a few different types of gum Arabic like gum tragacanth,cake making suppliers sell it to make edable flowers,also art suppliers for painting.any ideas anyone!!!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I use fruit pectin. I've never tried gum aramic so I couldn't give you a heads up comparison. The pectin works fine for me.

BarG

Founding Member
Pectin is available at any grocery so thats what I use. Never seen the other. Usualy I just use towards the mouth of the cigar to keep from unraveling, and can smoke immediately . A small box for a buck should last a couple years. Mix a little and keep refridgerated.

jekylnz

The stuff they sell in the supermarket ova here for making jams is pectin mixt with glycirine ,so it's abit sweet.I seen tempbond use the gum Arabic.powder and paste,and then I stumbled accross gum tragacanth on a cake making site ,looking for Arabic, tragacanth is another similar ,edable odourless ,tasteless,colorless etc.that cake makers use...does anyone know what was original used back in the day??

webmost

Assume an authoritative tone, waggle your finger, look stern, and say: "Stay!"

Works for me.

That, and pectin.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The fruit pectin should be the powdered kind. You can mix it so that it's a thick goo, then apply a tiny amount and spread it well, so that it dries rapidly.

The various natural gums all work well, and some are used in factories. Baccarat cigars use sweet gum, which imparts a sweet taste to the head of the cigar (if you like that sort of thing). The smallest quantity of natural gum that I've seen offered is 1 pound, which would last me until my grandchildren are retired.

Bob

MarcL

I really liked the powdered fruit pectin for caning after I really liked powdered jello, flour, starch. But, when I got some Gum Tragacanth.

It was less sutle. No weird aftertaste like other stuff.

" Mythology has long accused cigar makers of twirling cigars in their mouth, using saliva to secure the head, and there is evidence to give credence to the legend. Certainly early cigar rollers, especially those making cigars for their own consumption, did exactly that. But by the time cigar production became factory-centered in the first half of the 1800’s, the heads of cigars were almost universally held in place by gum tragacanth bled from the tap root of Iranian loco-weed and dried.

Tragacanth is odorless and tasteless and when added to water becomes a gel used in foods, art, medicine, cosmetics and cloth manufacture as a stiffener, binder, thickener and glue. The cigar industry used it as a paste for two centuries. Trade relations with the middle-East have always been volatile and so has the price of the gum. That’s why this 1885 ad warns that prices are subject to change. Today, because of worsening relations with the middle-east and the ability to cultivate other gums in the western hemisphere, gum tragacanth has largely been replaced in most U.S. commercial applications

In Latin countries, stickum of various types goes
by the generic goma. "

http://cigarhistory.info/Cigarmaking/Cigarmaking_tools_II.html

Attachments

• tools4827.jpg
    tools4827.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 238

BarG

Founding Member
Your best bet is to try them all and decide for yourself I reckon. I have no problems or after taste with the 100% natural fruit pectin, mix it and let set till fully dissolved and not grainy, It will have a thick sticky feel. Like Bob says spread it thin only at the edge where you want it.

jekylnz

Thanks for input guys.I'm gonna try gum tragacanth and Arabic when the cake shop gets some in so I'll let .uz know what I find works best.I have noticed the slight sweet taste when iv used the pectin mixt with glycirine.like u say that could b good to some,I'm waiting for a cake shop to order some gum tragacanth and Arabic , I'll get some of both and let uz know what I find works best.it comes in 20.ml.,60.ml and by the bucket load (about 3 litre ).I'll give gelatin a go to.the art type of gum Arabic comes in powder or liquid,when it's for art.but cake making comes as liquid

MarcL

" It was less sutle. " .. no ... It was more sutler. I also found that distilled water is a must becouse they will spoil.

jekylnz

In summary from everyone's posts is...any of the above will work fine,it looks like tragacanth was original used( when they wernt at war) otherwise pectin when it wasn't available .they are all just odorless ,tasteless ,naturally derived,used as vechiles for other stuff,or for fullers,thickners ,&glue.etc
So really it's just personal preference ,they will all do the trick,the only difference would b how thick u want to make it

Seanz

Gelatin for me works well enough though i havent found pectin in the super yet!
Though i have found you need to let it lie for a few days , ut then i can ignore that and suck a wet stogie

MarcL

Gelatin for me works well enough though i havent found pectin in the super yet!
Though i have found you need to let it lie for a few days , ut then i can ignore that and suck a wet stogie

Can you get this stuff ? pdt_classicFlex.jpg676935-20121004231910-ball-realfruit-low-or-no-sugar-needed-pectin.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.