Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Workhorse's 2013 bacca patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

Did you order from them? I only ordered seven varieties because with what I'm ordering from bigbonner that will top out what I can care for. Especially with my situation.
Yes workhorse I did I ordered 8 varieties last week and low an behold I got mine in the mail today.
I sort of told them I would provide information on how the plants grow at my location. There is one that I have a big interest in because in the photo of the plant it was very lush and leafy comes from Africa and is a flue cure type called KUTSAGA I got 2 different strains of this plant KUTSAGA E-2 and KUTSAGA 110.
Any way I'll have 15 varieties not counting BigBonners this is my first Tobacco grow and am pretty excited about it.

workhorse_01

I say go big or go home. I told them the same so I've got my cups numbered and labeled and I'm going to keep a journal and report my findings.I'm really excited about this years patch.I've got my plot, my bats have doubled their numbers,water isn't a problem, I'm just waiting to see BB's ready to go. his plant's really are a cut above. I just gotta get enough bags to insure my plants stay pure.

workhorse_01

Today I saw my first two leaves from my Big Gem sprouting all over my starting tray,all were started natural. Take them outside and Leave them in the sun all day at 80* and bring them in at night due to 55*. This seems to work well for me as i dont use grow lights. I'm anxious to see the little dutch and spanish zimmer come up but I guess I'm anxious to see them all poke their heads out. I'm not sure why I start them as Bigbonners starts that i'm waiting for will probably out grow mine anyway. Maybe I just like to see them poke their heads out the first time

DGBAMA

Today I saw my first two leaves from my Big Gem sprouting all over my starting tray,all were started natural. Take them outside and Leave them in the sun all day at 80* and bring them in at night due to 55*. This seems to work well for me as i dont use grow lights. I'm anxious to see the little dutch and spanish zimmer come up but I guess I'm anxious to see them all poke their heads out. I'm not sure why I start them as Bigbonners starts that i'm waiting for will probably out grow mine anyway. Maybe I just like to see them poke their heads out the first time

I am with you there. First year for me and after reading about germination being one of the hardest parts I was more than a bit excited when my Havanna speckeled the entire surface of my starting tray on only the 6th day. Very satisfying. Then at 18 days, first leaves started appearing, excited again.

AmaxB

BB is sending starts this way as well workhorse mid next month.. just finished seeding another start tray. Is my 1st year too so am curious as to how I will do, got some been going 3 days now will see. Am with you on out doors
will be in the 80s here tomorrow so mine will go out side weather is saying 80s most days comming so they will go out often. Might build me a box out there and heat it at night. Get that video made I would like to see it :)

workhorse_01

Ten four, If the rain will giv us a weekend off ,I may have some in styro cups by next weekend. Video coming.

DGBAMA

Ten four, If the rain will giv us a weekend off ,I may have some in styro cups by next weekend. Video coming.

I started mine in bulk trays then transferred to individual cells. Some had been sprouted 4 days and some 11. Even though the "leaves" appeared the same the root systems were very different, the 11 day olds had already started tangling a bit and were much more tedious to transplant than the ones that were just 4 days old. From this, 7 days sprouted seems ideal to transplant them to individual cells.

workhorse_01

Ok the first weekend without rain so I got on the John Deere and ran the middles to cover grass, (I'm still recovering) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uaCmk1g-Nas Needless to say it was still to wet , But I couldn't let the grass go any longer. Oh! I got a message from a lady who works at discovery channel she wants to use the video of my bats giving birth in a upcoming show. How bout that ? This is an old video of the bats they have more than doubled now , and they no longer migrate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LiBSFrXg0HE

Last edited:

AmaxB

That's pretty awesome Discovery wanting to use your video ya might see it on TV. I watched all your videos workhorse ya got some big kids there bet they are a hand full in the house if they get to playing. The patch did look a bit mucky.

workhorse_01

It's a good thing I got those middles run because our old friend Mr. Rain is back today. The good news is My ARS GRIN seeds, Spanish zimmer, Virginia Gold, Little Dutch Hi Burley, & Tenn. dark are all sprouted still waiting on the Maryland and Yellow Orinoco. I can't wait to transplant them in to their own little paper containers and very soon BigBonners Havana and Penn Red starts will be ready! Woo hoo it sounds like spring is here. Hey Amax are you keeping a journal on your GRIN seeds? I'm trying to keep a very detailed journal of mine more scientific than anything I've ever grown hoping when not if, I order more from them they wont have a problem with me. My next order will have grape seeds in it along with others . I've grafted oranges and roses before, so I was thinking about grafting three other varieties of grapes on to my mature Muscadine vines, kind of a natures own walmart of grapes. You ever try that with grapes?

AmaxB

It's a good thing I got those middles run because our old friend Mr. Rain is back today. The good news is My ARS GRIN seeds, Spanish zimmer, Virginia Gold, Little Dutch Hi Burley, & Tenn. dark are all sprouted still waiting on the Maryland and Yellow Orinoco. I can't wait to transplant them in to their own little paper containers and very soon BigBonners Havana and Penn Red starts will be ready! Woo hoo it sounds like spring is here. Hey Amax are you keeping a journal on your GRIN seeds? I'm trying to keep a very detailed journal of mine more scientific than anything I've ever grown hoping when not if, I order more from them they wont have a problem with me. My next order will have grape seeds in it along with others . I've grafted oranges and roses before, so I was thinking about grafting three other varieties of grapes on to my mature Muscadine vines, kind of a natures own walmart of grapes. You ever try that with grapes?
No never really grew any thing tried 20 years ago an killed every thing I touched. So the tobacco is both challenging and fun for me. Bout GRIN ... I told them I would keep data, send photos, and replace the seed they sent an e-maill and told me not to worry bout data or seed but would like to get photos. So I'll be sending them some great photos. As far as a log yes am keeping one for my self, I've got 15 varieties all have germinated but 3 or 4 slow starters I guess 3 of the four seem to be starting but the VA Bright looks dead - nothing will give more time. Those that have germinated are looking OK and healthy had only 2 seed to a cell. A few are looking leggy is not lights been controlling that pretty well am thinking of putting the in cups. Yesterday I made germination cups up for each variety and put 50 or more seed in each and have put the in my chamber so I can control their world till they germinate, we got rain here all week long.

JessicaNicot

sure looks like you guys enjoy the seeds i've been sending out (i even caught a glimpse of my address label peaking out from under the pots). i didnt realize there was a whole group of citizen scientists out there experimenting with our tobacco accessions.

workhorse_01

Teaching and learning that is what it's all about I recently had an email from discovery network about the 5000 or so bats that do most of my insect control. I'm glad to see you here may theres some kind of help we all can do for you ???? as you have helped so many of us.
sure looks like you guys enjoy the seeds i've been sending out (i even caught a glimpse of my address label peaking out from under the pots). i didnt realize there was a whole group of citizen scientists out there experimenting with our tobacco accessions.

AmaxB

Is this an OOOPS MOMENT gee I sure hope not, "citizen scientists out there experimenting" well maybe not quite experimenting but we would and are happy to contribute any information we could possibly glen. I received 8 varieties none in strong demand I think and only one of them had a Photo (Kutsaga E-2 1553 it may have been Kutsaga 110). I'll be sending high grade photos of all to you, I was told in an e-mail not to be concerned about Data but if there is anything you would like please tell me and I will be more than happy to provide it if I can. With varied conditions Samsun (PHYB) - 1 & 2 all the Samsun (PHYB) - 1 germinated with in 5 days 2 seed to a cell 18 cells out of 36 seeds 3 did not germinate. The Samsun (PHYB) - 2 did not fair so well of 36 seeds (2 to a cell 18 cells) 2 seeds germinated in the 5 day period.
Have started a second germination this time in my chamber at a constant 27C with constant blue light and 75% RH with wet soil no misting just what has been stated. Will be interesting to see how these germinate.
I think I can say for those of us who have received seed from your bank we are grateful. I would not be able to grow these varieties of tobacco if it were not for your service. As the plants mature all precautions will be taken not to cross pollinate and seed given to our bank so others may have opportunity to grow and enjoy these tobaccos.
I Thank You Sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.