Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

This is why we need several different seed bank locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
This is a cut-n-paste from the Southern Exposure Seed site ( not the one Don and Bob claim to know about but have never visited..:rolleyes: )

"Note to customers April 5, 2013: We’re pretty well recovered now from the power outage and subsequent warehouse fire on March 7th. We lost our supply of catalogs in the fire, but new catalogs have arrived from our printer and we’re now mailing catalogs again. We lost about 5% of our seed inventory in the fire; some varieties are now sold out until we can grow new seed crops for them again. (Possible good news is that, digging through the seed freezers lost in the fire, we’ve found intact seed containers on the bottom level of some of the freezers; we’ll be doing extensive germination testing to see if any of that seed survived after all!)"

Some of "our" seeds are not replaceable. A fire at the FTT seedbank would wipe out a lot of history. A few year back there was a big fire that wiped out a lot of Syrian Latakia. There were other warehouses that stored the Syrian. If ALL the Syrian was in that one warehouse- there would be none left at all.

The Seed Bank maintenance issue is one PIA. I do not want to maintain one. It is alot of work. My hats off to anyone that can maintain it.

My plan is to maintain my own mini-seed bank of about 20 or so varieties for myself, anyone that wants the seeds that I have are welcome to them.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I couldn't agree more.

I don't want to volunteer anyone for duty, but I was planning on sending both you and Bob copies of the Akron Ohio FTT seed bank. You should keep copies of the seed you've recently acquired and send copies to Bob and me.

If there's an easier way, let me know.

rainmax

Founding Member
My plan is to maintain my own mini-seed bank of about 20 or so varieties for myself, anyone that wants the seeds that I have are welcome to them.

I'll do the same.
And expand it for next year. And I'm happy to receive any seed I do not have yet (not only tobacco).

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Thanks for the offers guys...I think it's only logical to keep the seeds in the places with large current inventories.

JBD has the most and Bob has 40 - 50 types or more.

DGBAMA

a central location is nice, and a backup with a smaller quantity of each at a second location would be perfect; however one of the best seed banks there is surely must be the FTT community in general. I am continually amazed by the detail and effort put into growing tobacco by individual members here and there generosity to help each other.

BarG

Founding Member
I am going to start referring to Don's original seed bank and any extra as the seed exchange. Heirloom only, I'm guessing. ;) Wait til the complainin starts next year ye ole seed holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.