Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The RYO acronym,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webby

Seems us Kiwis have miss understood this one as we use RYO specifically for hand rolled cigs.
But after bumping into RYO magazine the other day (thanx FM), found this on the cover page, leaned bac took me hat off and ate it. :eek:

" For as long as Man has walked the Earth, RYO has existed. It has taken many forms but simply, it implies making things for yourself with materials YOU choose. The acronym RYO is applied to many activities of such personal nature from various artistic endeavors, the building many things and to even making one's own ammunition."

I'll be using "hand rolled" when describing my rolling technique in future.
I am guessing there are not many hand rollers in the States or Canada.Southern Europeans are predominately hand rollers, of the few that RYO, but I did meet a few stuff your owns in my travels.
How many hand rollers are there out there?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If you dig deeper into RYO magazine, RYO is defined as hand rolling tobacco into a cigarette paper. MYO (make your own) describes making your smokes using a machine and ready made filtered tubes (stuffing tubes). Stick to RYO and MYO as descriptions. As more people get involved with growing or whole leaf processing, the terms will become more prevalent, and we need to set the standard for consistency.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Seems us Kiwis have miss understood this one as we use RYO specifically for hand rolled cigs.
But after bumping into RYO magazine the other day (thanx FM), found this on the cover page, leaned bac took me hat off and ate it. :eek:

" For as long as Man has walked the Earth, RYO has existed. It has taken many forms but simply, it implies making things for yourself with materials YOU choose. The acronym RYO is applied to many activities of such personal nature from various artistic endeavors, the building many things and to even making one's own ammunition."

I'll be using "hand rolled" when describing my rolling technique in future.
I am guessing there are not many hand rollers in the States or Canada.Southern Europeans are predominately hand rollers, of the few that RYO, but I did meet a few stuff your owns in my travels.
How many hand rollers are there out there?
Magazine or no I have to disagree with that statement and comment that it seems a bit self serving. Just because it's in print doesn't make it so. For starters the English language hasn't been around forever. To the best of my knowledge Roll Your Own started in the late 1800's when "Tailor Made's" started to make their mark. "Bull Durham" capitalized on the RYO theme for years and other sellers of shredded tobacco did as well. Now that there are ready made tubes and filters Make Your Own MYO is becoming more common and a distinction from RYO. Perhaps the magazine is feeling that pressure and trying to minimize or incorporate the difference. I don't pretend to know.

You know it's kinda like DIY having been forever and that's a laugh. When I was a kid most everybody did for themselves and DIY hadn't been coined yet.

squeezyjohn

Well - language is a very transient thing and what becomes normal in the future is only what the majority of people take up ... it's true democracy in action!

Here in England (the place where English comes from BTW) - Roll Your Own or RYO just means rolling tobacco in a Rizla or similar paper, licking it, and smoking it. Stuffing the tubes with the machines hasn't really caught on here yet - but people don't call that RYO. It definitely doesn't mean making anything else yourself.

Our term for doing or making something yourself rather than buying it from a shop is DIY (do it yourself) - so here in England you can say I'm making DIY cigarettes - but you can't have RYO carrots.

Cheers

Squeezy

Jbrana1947

Having rolled many Camel Straights (you know humps and all) it has always been roll one or smoke tailormades. Ah, the good old days! DIY meant to dig a new hole so you could move the outhouse. Of course if your going to read a magazine in there, it would be best to learn how to roll one handed. Wash your hands first. I remember the old joke about the guy who never met a farrier who chewed his finger nails! By the way, for you fellows downunder, I'm wearing my Blundstones while writing this misguided missile. Best wishes!! Great memories of the land downunder.

Webby

If you dig deeper into RYO magazine, RYO is defined as hand rolling tobacco into a cigarette paper. MYO (make your own) describes making your smokes using a machine and ready made filtered tubes (stuffing tubes). Stick to RYO and MYO as descriptions. As more people get involved with growing or whole leaf processing, the terms will become more prevalent, and we need to set the standard for consistency.

Cheers Kuckle that was basically what I was tryin to get to so we all roughly understand what we are all up to. RYO is a different cat to skin compared to MYO it seems to me.

Magazine or no I have to disagree with that statement and comment that it seems a bit self serving. Just because it's in print doesn't make it so. For starters the English language hasn't been around forever. To the best of my knowledge Roll Your Own started in the late 1800's when "Tailor Made's" started to make their mark. "Bull Durham" capitalized on the RYO theme for years and other sellers of shredded tobacco did as well. Now that there are ready made tubes and filters Make Your Own MYO is becoming more common and a distinction from RYO. Perhaps the magazine is feeling that pressure and trying to minimize or incorporate the difference. I don't pretend to know.

You know it's kinda like DIY having been forever and that's a laugh. When I was a kid most everybody did for themselves and DIY hadn't been coined yet.

Sorry for throwing that one in there Johnlee, I did not quite agree with it either just that I was havin trouble with how to get my point across. Even back when I was a kid DIY was something you just did.
I remember wakin one night to a chainsaw going in the house, when I got up in the morning the kitchen was bigger the living room gone and I had a room all of my own. There were not any tv cameras about either.

Webby

Bro! get a iphone, less space taken up and "they" dont get upset about "bad air" particles lol Crack up man
JeJeJe, cant afford one of dem bro, winz wont give me a grant.:rolleyes:

Having rolled many Camel Straights (you know humps and all) it has always been roll one or smoke tailormades. Ah, the good old days! DIY meant to dig a new hole so you could move the outhouse. Of course if your going to read a magazine in there, it would be best to learn how to roll one handed. Wash your hands first. I remember the old joke about the guy who never met a farrier who chewed his finger nails! By the way, for you fellows downunder, I'm wearing my Blundstones while writing this misguided missile. Best wishes!! Great memories of the land downunder.

Big Hi's from down here mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.