Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

active humidifier??

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
So wat if u did a solution of 50/50 water and propylene glycol .,then saturated some rock salt would that slow evaporation and help control humidity better??
You get a three component solution, and a headache. Scour the Web for a young buck who is currently taking a course in physical chemistry. The concept is easy, but the computations are not--at least not for me.

Bob

Ashauler

Founding Member
So wat if u did a solution of 50/50 water and propylene glycol .,then saturated some rock salt would that slow evaporation and help control humidity better??
I doubt it, though I don't have any scientific explanation beyond the fact that saturated salt will want to equalize to 75% rh, and the 50/50 would want to maintain 70%. Neither of these methods provides for absorbing any "extra" moisture, and can only provide it. My assumption would be that the higher of the two rh's would dominate.

I'm sure there is someone here with much more knowledge that can correct me, or explain it more thoroughly.

jekylnz

You get a three component solution, and a headache. Scour the Web for a young buck who is currently taking a course in physical chemistry. The concept is easy, but the computations are not--at least not for me.

Bob

All good don't give urself a headache.lol .thanks for the help once again deluxe
Also ash and knuckles any help is much appreciated .cheers guys

I'll try it and let uz know what the rh stays at

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Do you already have some sort of cabinet you were going to convert to a humidor, or start from scratch? Is it for cigars or whole leaf?

jekylnz

Do you already have some sort of cabinet you were going to convert to a humidor, or start from scratch? Is it for cigars or whole leaf?[/QUOTE
I was going 2 convert the cabinet 4 cigars . But also if it's big enough can I put whole leaf in with cigars??hopefully one day i would have rolled enough stoggies to full it

holyRYO

I tried a humidor with a saturated salt solution... I stuck a box of cigarette tubes in there... they became so tainted overnight, they were unsmokable... no more salt for me... be careful.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Also is it essential for them(humidors)to be made out of Spanish cedar ?(or lined)

I don't think cedar is essential but you should probably line it with a vapor proof barrier whether you line it with cedar or not to protect the wood and the glue joints. If you use cedar, line it with the vapor barrier under the cedar.

Status
Not open for further replies.