Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

active humidifier??

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Come on guys... I thought someone might have some ideas???deluxstog ..??anyone....hello..
Are you talking about the space under your house? If so have you considered just wetting the ground? My old dirt floor cellar was always damp till I got a concrete floor in.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Na u r right the first time,I mean a humidifier that puts out wet air and draws wet air in when there's too much.a cigar humidifier
For a small closed space a rock salt and water paste will hold 75% very accurately. This has been mentioned several times most recently by Emre

jekylnz

These links are pretty helpful,thanks knuckles that's what I'm talking about.I might pull apart a couple of computers score a humidistat /temp control and play around .I'm trying to make something better than a wet oasis humidor box.those .humidistats are pretty cheap ,I thought they would b more than that

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Water paste??.
Yeah. Mix salt and water till the salt is wet and there is little or no liquid water around. If it touches wet air it will suck up water. If the air is dry it will release water. It holds 75% RH very accurately. Set a small fan to circulate air if the space is large. I said rock salt because it's cheaper here.

AmaxB

Yeah. Mix salt and water till the salt is wet and there is little or no liquid water around. If it touches wet air it will suck up water. If the air is dry it will release water. It holds 75% RH very accurately. Set a small fan to circulate air if the space is large. I said rock salt because it's cheaper here.
That is interesting johnlee but wouldn't you need to watch for mold?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
That is interesting johnlee but wouldn't you need to watch for mold?
Perhaps. I'm not advocating this for long term storage. It's just the physical facts of life. I haven't studied it but I'll bet other similar mixtures give similar results with different humidity absolutes.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Keeping long-term storage (1 year +) of ready tobacco (stemmed leaf, shred, cigars, etc.) below a 75% RH will minimize mold growth, though not eliminate it.

MoldGrowthChart_T4_SSBlock_1953.jpg

In this table, I'll assume that tobacco leaf lamina would be somewhere
between cheese and leather. Note that this is observation after a 1 year exposure.

Appl Microbiol. 1953 November; 1(6): 287–293. (1.2 MB pdf)

Given the horrid accuracy of most common hygrometers, I aim for 60-70% RH for long-term storage, which still allows for reasonable aging at room temperature. While some hygrometers allow actual calibration adjustment, most inexpensive ones do not.

Of course, baled or otherwise physically protected tobacco can be dried down to as low as you want to go, then re-humidified for handling.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Well done as usual Bob. Do you know any mixtures like the NaCl/H2O combo that produce a different RH number?
Emre -- Any input?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What happens to the chilli when you add a can of beans?

Ah! Colligative properties:
  • vapor pressure lowering
  • freezing-point depression
  • boiling-point elevation
  • osmotic pressure
If I recall, the reduction in vapor pressure of water is correlated to the solute load (actually the mole fraction of water remaining--what fraction of the solution particles is water?) in the solution. With the salt solution, we achieve a saturated solution (above the remaining solid salt), that lowers the vapor pressure of the water, and reaches a steady state of about 75% RH at near room temperature.

Raoult's Law (sorry) basically states that if a solvent is only x percent pure (the remaining percent of the solution being particles of the solute--in this case Na[sup]+[/sup] and Cl[sup]-[/sup] particles), then the vapor pressure of the solvent is only x percent of what it would be if the solvent were 100% pure).

The core of your question is what other solutes can be used, and how does their impact on reducing vapor pressure differ from that of NaCl. I believe it's a calibration question. We know that at saturation, NaCl in water produces a RH of ~75%. (Dump some salt into a container, add distilled water and stir, so that some solid remains at the bottom. Now it's saturated.) NaCl is easy.

The chemical nature of the solute particles generally doesn't matter. It's just a question of the number of particles. So we would need to know the molecular composition of the solvent (H[sub]2[/sub]O) and of the proposed solute. If you want, say, 83% RH above the solution, then you need enough solute particles (anions plus cations) to reduce the solvent to only 83% of the particles in the resulting solution (sort of). This would usually require a precision balance. Rock salt is easy, because the saturated solution gives us a reasonable 75% RH without measuring the ingredients.

That's all the physical chemistry I can remember about this subject. And I definitely can't do to calculations these days.

When you dilute your chilli with beans, you are reducing the relative chilliness of the aroma by the ratio of bean count to chilli particles. Hmmm?

Bob

EDIT: Clarification. Think of the water molecules (our volatile solvent) as white marbles in a closed jar, with air above them. In our example, some of the white marbles will naturally evaporate (float up) into the air within the jar. That's our vapor pressure above the pure (100%) solvent. Now add some salt. Since each salt molecule disolves into 1 sodium ion and 1 chloride ion, we'll add an equal number of blue marbles and green marbles. If you count all the marbles now, and only, say, 64% of them are white marbles, then the "vapor pressure" of the white marbles will be 64% of what it was when all the marbles were white.

Last edited:

Ashauler

Founding Member
I have digital hygrometer with calibration capabilities in my aging cooler. I use humidity beads, about 1lb in a 135qt marine cooler, to maintain a stable 70% rh. I have maintained cigars this way for 6 or 7 years......with 0 bouts of mold. I keep the cooler in my basement with an ambient temp between 60-65 F year around.

When I first started with cigars, I went all out....lined the cooler with Spanish cedar pieces, put a couple of pc fans in there to circulate the air. After years of experience, the only thing in my cooler is boxes of cigars and the humidity beads. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.