Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

72 Cel float trays and soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
If anyone is interested in 72 cell float trays and soil
Just email me and I will see what I can do for you .

The soil is wicking and is the best for tobacco and is what works best in the float tray system .

I may also be able to get the 200 cell trays now .

Ishi

I think that I should use float treys the humidity was 3% from 1 TV station and 5% from another temp was about 90F. Would have to put them in the fish pond so that they did not go dry.:)

BarG

Founding Member
I would also like to try but I'm heading toward seed beds. I know first hand the quality of plant supplied by BigBonner They are the best, very impressive and robustI am leaning to old methods. I know I would screw up on something in the float method just as I screw up on the old method.My best seed bed plants didn't have roots as good as his float grown, not to mention a stress free environment.
Its a gamble for any quantity no matter how you go. I can't imagine acres worth of a gamble [yet].

BigBonner, I was tempted to see if you were providing the float trays early this season. I truly believe they will supply a viable transplant with a minimal amount of labor to what I used.

Last edited:

BigBonner

Founding Member
I think that I should use float treys the humidity was 3% from 1 TV station and 5% from another temp was about 90F. Would have to put them in the fish pond so that they did not go dry.:)

You float them on water . Just Build a 2 x 6 frame around them , Add plastic to make the pond , fill with water . Add fertilizer after they sprout . Keep covered with agri bond .Home made bows made out of electrical conduit and lay the agri bond over it like a green house . Cover with plastic when it is raining or cold .
Pull plants when ready .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You float them on water . Just Build a 2 x 6 frame around them , Add plastic to make the pond , fill with water . Add fertilizer after they sprout . Keep covered with agri bond .Home made bows made out of electrical conduit and lay the agri bond over it like a green house . Cover with plastic when it is raining or cold .
Pull plants when ready .

I used 1x6's instead of 2x. It was very stout and much lighter.

leverhead

How hard are the 200 cell trays to use? (trimming, getting them out of the cells, hardiness at transplant....) I started a large number of seedlings this year and thought I went through too much starting mix. Crowding only became noticeable for the last few weeks.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I used a plastic tub instead of making a tray out of lumber, it works for 3 or less, after that you begin losing a lot of space. I don't think I'll ever do anything but floats again, they works ALOT better than anything else I've used.

Fisherman

Pull plants when ready .

Mr Bonner,

DOes transplanting to bigger cell before going into the ground or giving them more room to grow initially and only transplanting from there to ground better make a better seedling ?

BigBonner

Founding Member
Mr Bonner,

DOes transplanting to bigger cell before going into the ground or giving them more room to grow initially and only transplanting from there to ground better make a better seedling ?

Just pull them and put straight into the ground . One take off and not two .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Mr Bonner,

It's the whole haircut thing again. In stogie's 2012 Log he compares four plants that were repotted to larger pots with four plants that were kept in the original cells and just given trims to not shade out the smaller plants. In the first set of pictures showing all eight plants in the ground, the repotted plants are much larger, but in just a few weeks, the trimmed only plants caught up to the repotted plants in size. The big difference is the savings in labor and the cost of potting soil. By the end of the season, you couldn't tell one plant from another.

Fisherman

WOW... we are the opposite here with about 85-90% as ordinary.
I got kinfolk in Redlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.