Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Did anyone get seed for this variety? accession PI 113590

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The only data I could find was in the GRIN original accession .pdf:

From Guatemala. Seeds collected by W. A.
Archer, Bureau of Plant Industry. Received
January 22, 1936.
113590. No. 3658. Punta de Lanza. Cultivated
tobacco collected January 6,
1936, at Zacapa.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I grew Guatemala seed from GRIN this year. I'll check the GRIN # later today.

Edit: The GRIN # is: 408938

Last edited:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
gah, stupid politics, this seed might be lost forever now. i was checking it out again last night and cannot find it anywhere.

well maybe i'll do the plantana from my collection and the VA359. Anyone know what the va359 tastes like if it is air cured? It is a cigarette tobacco that is too strong to go straight on and is used as a condiment type tobacco right? should make it a good cigar then.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i'm excited, i found a guy on HTGT that had this strain, he is sending a few seeds out to me. The specs look like stereotypical burley, 6% nic, 0 sucrose. I will grow this, plantana and va 359.

the use will be for snus, so looking for some powerful stuff to overcome the VT climate and yield some nic at all.

Everything I've read on virginia is that it is mild, however on the GRIN they say 6.1% nic, that would place it amongst the top producers that are tracked by the grin.

Anyway glad I could track it down, hope to get a bunch of bagged seed stock to put towards the seedbank.

BigBonner

Founding Member
SmokesAhoy

There is a VA359 , it Is a Dark fire or air cured variety it is lighter green than the VA 309 and the leaves are more up right than the VA309 and cures lighter in color than the VA309. This is a commercial seed.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
yeah i got some of that from the grin
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/acchtml.pl?1560224
reading the narrative got me interested in it. i keep trying these obscure grin varieties but am starting to wonder if the commercial varieties are commercial for a reason. so this year will be tn90, va359, and 2 obscure high nic types from the grin. all will be grown for snus and cigarillos.

all are reputed to be about 6+% and i will start in april this year so the temps will be higher when they are growing. last year i started in february in a house that never got above 55 degrees. i still have a plant in a dixie cup from last february that is my house plant, i will probably plant it outside this year too hehe, that is a yellow orinoco. primarily though it will be va359, tn90 (if i can find some infomon the web that says it is strong) plantana and the type in this thread.

BarG

Founding Member
You guys gotta tell me, what the hell is snus again. In all my years I aint never heard of it.
I'm not trying to be ignorant.
BarG

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
Snuff -snus-is dry up the schnoz , thats what I thought. And dip is wet tween cheek and gum? I'll stick to smokin. I don't mind a bit of dip now and then. Thats just me. Now I get it.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I supply a guy with the dry stuff (free). He is my mechanic and a good bloke. I just grind up all my cigar scrap in a high speed coffee grinder. Although it is dry powder he puts it under his lip. He says some of the stuff I give him has a real wallop.

John

BarG

Founding Member
Are you serious, I would not have thought of that. you could make a decent dip that way,shredding super fine and adding a little crown, or your preference. do a little soaking and drying , then re hydrating. Would you lose the kick JohnLee1933. Talk about rough.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
just an update, i obtained these seeds, will be growing out seedstock this season.

mackavally

new to this what is some cigrett tobacco plants i find my self going to turkesh blend becoues it is in camels ciggs i am in florida and liking to try to grow the stuff hear i have grate results with fruit and vegges want to try tobacco any seggestgens thank you all

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Can we get an update please? Any pictures would be nice too.

Edit: Never mind, just read your grow blog....I see you're only growing one variety this year...I'll assume it is this one.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yes sir :)
bagged2.jpg

next year gonna do 100 plants i think, this year was a little too small, last year too much with the different varieties, but with 1 i think i can scale up to 100 nicely.

picture current as of this post, just taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.