Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Latakia samples will be in tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
My first thought when I lit a bowl of pure Latakia was of when I was child in church during some ritual...I can't remember which one...maybe a funeral, but the taste was of the smell I remember...frankincense. The obvious smokey flavor was dominant mixed in with a little petroleum...kerosene or maybe turpentine. The aftertaste reminds me of a zippo lighter, but a little more perfumy. The nicotine seems to be fairly good. Nothing crazy, but it's in there.

***Edit

I just walked away from my desk and when I came back in the room, it was like being in church again. The room note is definitely frankincense...IMO.

Seanz

Hmm I am intrigued Most of the lat i have smoked has a barbeque sort of flavour I am trying to remeber what frankincense smells like. If i remeber its not a flowery perfume but more musky with deeper undercurrents so to speak? Have to get some and smell it. So it was all good on its own? Not a nic bomb! Or too much for the mouth?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I am trying to remeber what frankincense smells like. If i remeber its not a flowery perfume but more musky with deeper undercurrents so to speak? Have to get some and smell it.
Even though I've smelled frankincense many times, I don't think I can describe what it smells like, so I did a search and this is what I found...

"Frankincense has a smell of pine and lemon combined with a dry woody aroma."

"I was so lucky to get some old frankincense resinoid from charabot. It is thick, sticky, very dark and smells like damp cellar, old church, earthy, piney, coniferous, old wood ( Oud ? ) and pepper. There is also something sweet in it, like dark chocolate and caramel."

So it was all good on its own? Not a nic bomb! Or too much for the mouth?
I guess I should have prefaced with "I smoke a Japanese kiseru", so that would be about 1/50th of a traditional Euro/American pipe bowl. Based on that bowl size, I'd say it is a nic bomb. I am going to try blending some Virginia and Latakia. I think it would make a very interesting cigarette.

Your sample is in the mail.

Seanz

Nice one I was planning on mixing it with some dark cured virginia and see how it goes, I also have a touch of perique left in a tin somewhere so will try that too Looking forward to trying it. Cheers once again don

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Just got this email.

Don,

I’m happy you liked the Latakia. It is a nice tobacco. It originates from Cyprus. We currently have 6 bales available and unfortunately I don’t know the exact crop year. I do know it’s got some age to it.

Let me know if you want me to bring more than one bale from the Dom Rep for you. Thanks.

Kind regards,

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This Latakia will be here in about 30 days. I ordered two bales, but I'm hoping to get all four. We'll see how sales go this week.

I should be able to do this for about $23 lb. to members and $25 to non's.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Awesome:)
And, Thanks I have been looking for a place like this for a while now.

Look no further, this is by far the best tobacco growing forum on the interweb. If you'll put your general location in your profile, it will make answering questions in the future much easier as alot of answers are location and weather specific. Also, if your contemplating growing, check out the tobacco growing FAQ's on the header at the top of the page. Keep an eye out on www.wholeleaftobacco.com, he will list the Latakia for sale there, and also give us a heads up here on the forum. Open up a thread in Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about yourself and what you like to smoke. Tobacco wise, pipes, cigars, cigarettes? Have you ever grown? Etc.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It appears as if the Latakia is from the last millennium.

LatakiaBale.jpg

Look at the difference in condition compared to the 2006 Aleman (pronounced All-e-man) and 2011-12 Criollo and Habano

AlemanBales.jpg

CriolloHabanoBales.jpg

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The Latakia is very dry and brittle, so I'm trying to get it to sweat in the hot and humid Ohio air before I break it open. It's common for newspaper to be used as a liner in these bales and I'm hoping to find some evidence of its origin and age when I open the bale.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Lotta Latakia

This is a photo of my carefully husbanded stash of Latakia, as of this morning.

Garden20130906_956_LatakiaStash_am_300.jpg

By this afternoon, I had opened a substantial carton that arrived from Whole Leaf Tobacco. Among a collection of other goodies was a 6 pound bag of Cyprian Latakia. It is solidly packed. Once repackaged into 1 gallon freezer Zip Locks, it fully filled 6 of them. Much of the leaf is nearly black (except in direct sunlight), mixed with dark brown. Its aroma is a wave of sweet smokiness. I've never been able to stick my head into a bag of Latakia, until today.

Garden20130906_957_LatakiaStash_pm_500.jpg

Deluxestogie's extra-firm bed pillow.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.