Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Latakia samples will be in tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If you're a pipe smoker, please send me a PM with your address and I'll send some samples. I really want the opinions of experienced Latakia smokers so I know if this stuff is worth stocking. (only one international request per 6 months...sorry, I'll go broke sending samples international)

If you're like me and just want to try it because of everything you've heard about it, I'll figure something out to get small samples out if it is determined to be worthy of the investment.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob's advice:
  • don't smoke Latakia straight
  • start with ~10%
  • 25% is typical for an English mixture
  • 50% is a robust mix
  • 75% is the max I've ever seen in a commercial mix (DaVinci and Pirate Kake)

Bob

DonH

Bob's advice:
  • don't smoke Latakia straight
  • start with ~10%
  • 25% is typical for an English mixture
  • 50% is a robust mix
  • 75% is the max I've ever seen in a commercial mix (DaVinci and Pirate Kake)

Bob

Straight up tastes awesome to me. I must be an outlier. But you're right, for most people it's best in blends.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Straight up tastes awesome to me. I must be an outlier. But you're right, for most people it's best in blends.
Smoking pure Latakia slowly and gently leaves my tongue feeling like a cheap rug in a high traffic area. But I do enjoy Pirate Kake (75%) occasionally as the last smoke of the day.

I agree with Seanz. Latakia has been described as a divorce maker. On the other hand, the wonderful, musty aroma of old books in the stacks of University libraries was the result of exposure to years of Latakia-laced pipe tobacco smoked by generations of professors. Alas, not only the Latakia aroma, but the printed book itself is rapidly vanishing into history.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Smoking pure Latakia slowly and gently leaves my tongue feeling like a cheap rug in a high traffic area. But I do enjoy Pirate Kake (75%) occasionally as the last smoke of the day.

I agree with Seanz. Latakia has been described as a divorce maker. On the other hand, the wonderful, musty aroma of old books in the stacks of University libraries was the result of exposure to years of Latakia-laced pipe tobacco smoked by generations of professors. Alas, not only the Latakia aroma, but the printed book itself is rapidly vanishing into history.

Bob
Hear! Hear!

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Here's a picture of the Latakia. I'm happy to see it can be considered "whole leaf". Is this the way it is sold in tobacco shops or is it processed?

latakia.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have only seen shredded or cube-cut Latakia sold by tobacconists or by suppliers of bulk blending Latakia. The only whole leaf Latakia appeared in a video of the Mac Barens factory.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
From your photo, the scrap in the lower right corner looks to me like a whole leaf suggestive of a Smyrna type leaf. Bring it to high case and spread it out for a new pic.

latakia_wholeLeaf_closeup.jpg

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
You may be right that it's an İzmir type leaf because as reported the Latakia production has gradually shifted from the Syrian coast to Cyprus. The tobacco used for Latakia production in Cyprus was derived from İzmir seeds called "Yellow Cyprus" (Tr. " Kıbrıs Sarısı "). This variety has slightly larger leaves than usual İzmir tobaccos.
But as I see from the photo leaves are broken so it's inadequate to say it's an İzmir type or not (for now).

Status
Not open for further replies.