Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

I got my Kiln going today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Stuck some in shop bathroom. I know shop doesnt have mold problems what so ever. With humidifier, some water in beer chest, fan, I'm getting 53% Rh. Temp is in 80ish.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
On Wednesday at the one week mark for my 1st batch of Tobacco in my kiln.
I'm going to try a couple types just to see and take note of the flavor, harshness and burning ability.
Then do the same thing once a week just to see the progress I'll keep you guys posted just for
curiosity for us new guys as a way to gauge the kiln process.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
dkh2,
I've noticed a substantial change (improvement) in tobacco that comes out of the kiln after at least a week of rest, and a noticeable change after 2 months. So tasting it fresh out of the kiln won't give you the whole story.

Bob

dkh2

dkh2,
I've noticed a substantial change (improvement) in tobacco that comes out of the kiln after at least a week of rest, and a noticeable change after 2 months. So tasting it fresh out of the kiln won't give you the whole story.

Bob

That's why the once a week, Plus I have a couple of Burleys that are pretty mild and some Virginia Gold
and I have tried them all before they went into the kiln and so I want to check out the difference.
The Green Brior Burley I grew last year was real mild compared to other Burleys I have smoked at the
color cured stage (Dried to brown color)It doesn't seem to have that "Cigar" bite to it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it looks good,,,

im gonna start production on mine this weekend,, i got the box,,, need to put a door on it,,,the crockpot,,,temp/humidity guages,,,and bulb fixture,,,

i drive a semi for a living,,, and this week i got to be at work at 4;30 a.m.

so it will have to wait till the weekend,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im kinda liking the baccy i fire cured last weekend,,,,i.m.o. better than store bought baccy,,,,and better than my '' just air cured baccy''

im thinking of fire curing it 3 different times,, and then putting it in the crock pot kiln...

any thoughts on this ?????

dkh2

I got a new kiln in the works a chest freezer
The guy told me a couple months ago that I could have it. We went out there a while back
and no one was home. So I called and called to no avail.
The other day he shows up at my place with it and it was a mess on the out side all rusted and
down right crappy looking the insides were immaculate so I bought a quart of White Rustoleum paint and gave it a coat
I'm running a test on it now to see what it does with the heat and humidity.

Chrism

I'm about at my testing stage on my kiln. Got more wiring done last night. Since Im controlling it with a micro controller there's a lot of wires. What I did do is save my receipt from walmart and not splice it directly in (crockpot). That way can't tell it's been tampered with what it really not designed to do :).

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I got a new kiln in the works a chest freezer
The guy told me a couple months ago that I could have it. We went out there a while back
and no one was home. So I called and called to no avail.
The other day he shows up at my place with it and it was a mess on the out side all rusted and
down right crappy looking the insides were immaculate so I bought a quart of White Rustoleum paint and gave it a coat
I'm running a test on it now to see what it does with the heat and humidity.
whats the width,? and depth?

..id proablly stand it on it's side,,, it would seem easier to hang baccy in it that way,,,

i guess it depends on the depth,

dkh2

It's 55 inches tall 30 inches deep and 24 inches wide with a shelf that's 10 x 11 inches
Those are the inside dimensions by the way it comes to 21.38 cubic feet

I have a lot more work to do on it.

The seal was shot so I put 2 inch wide molding around and
sealed those with this self adhesive seal and on the outside I have some shower stuff to fill any
cracks but after I put the paint on it I was blinded by the brightness, man I could hardly see what
I was doing So I'm waiting till the morning to finish it off
One thing, I'm gonna string a " Clothes line" type wire to hang the towel on directly above the water bucket
So the towel is in the water like a wick. Then fix the wiring so it's not a mess.
Then I'm going to add some clips to hang the wire baskets that came with it.
Tonight when it gets dark I can see any light leaks that I can plug I'll deal with them then.

GkuAh.jpg

6rTNr.jpg

0YcFD.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
aluminum tape { air conditioner type tape }
worked good for me,,,, i sealed with duct-tape,,, then came behind that with the aluminum tape,, for sealage and '' grip''

..but i had a '' perferated board'' { it was free} but had slots for the heat and humidity to literally escape,,,

so on both sides i had to seal from top to bottom,,,i clear siliconed,,, what i could, and went over it all inside and out with duct tape, followed by the other tape...

and pitch black night,,,, just a little light shines thru duct-tape,{ very little } a pass with the alum would fix it,, but it's nothing,,,

if you had acess to another refrigirator, i'd tell you to '' REMOVE THE SEALING OFF IT AND GLUE IT TO YOUR KILN, so you'd have that magnatized '' sealing'' affect,

...:confused::confused: keep a journal of how ,and what,,and for what reason,,, < when you do the wiring,,,

i'd like to put a hot water heater thermostat on mine,,,, but im no electrician,,, and know nothing of them matters,:(

so a guide of what you do is appreciated,

Status
Not open for further replies.