Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

I got my Kiln going today

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I got my Kiln going today Right now all I have in there is 73 leaves.
That's all I have dried at the moment but I have an additional 242 leaves
almost dried (Color Cured)
What I have in there now is two types of burley
Burley 21 and
Green Brior Burley
I'll have around 1000 leaves all total for the season.

Chrism

All my parts are here. Most of em. May need go to hardware store and get an outlet. Making my own electronic controller. Still need to brainstorm how I'm going to rig up the outlet.

dkh2

Here's one picture of the front it was so bright outside today the pictures of the inside are all
blared out it's going good so far the two white spots are Styrofoam corks that you can look inside
where the wires go in the bottom cord is the fan cord.
kn4qX.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I like it!.. What are you using for your heat source and humidity souce?
Is this always outside?.. if so, what do you do when it rains?
How do you access the inside?

BarG

Founding Member
I have same guestion as jitterbugdude, about humidifier, what kind are you using and do you mind telling the cost. also you may want to build a shroud around your outlet box for unprotected exterior use, but i'm sure you already know that. Mine is working fine but I have to keep close eye on humidity. Tobacco smells sweeter and is less harsh with just 2 weeks in fermentor. I haven't had the patience yet to try longer.

dkh2

I like it!.. What are you using for your heat source and humidity souce?
Is this always outside?.. if so, what do you do when it rains?
How do you access the inside?
The heat source at the moment is a 100 watt light bulb
The humidity is from a elongated water bucket. And a towel hanging into it with the end draped
over the side I unplugged the bottom cork so it would suck in some humidity from the air
as an experiment with the humidity control
I threw a tarp over the top of it just a few minutes ago because it is raining now.
This project isn't finished yet I have to build a door in the front of it yet
I am accessing it from the top for now
We got some thunderstorms passing threw at the moment

dkh2

I have same question as jitterbugdude, about humidifier, what kind are you using and do you mind telling the cost. also you may want to build a shroud around your outlet box for unprotected exterior use, but I'm sure you already know that. Mine is working fine but I have to keep close eye on humidity. Tobacco smells sweeter and is less harsh with just 2 weeks in fermentor. I haven't had the patience yet to try longer.
The cost was nothing. It was made all scraped out wood and the Styrofoam was from and old trade for a small little mini fridge.
The framing wood came from a old box spring from a bed set. The plywood came from a ministers house who left town.
I am still going to make a " mini roof " for it after I get a working door on it.

dkh2

I got leaves that aren't quite completely dry in there now they have some green in them but I am making room for the rest I have to pick and hang upstairs later I want to see if they will "cure" from a semi color cured state with higher humidity and heat to a complete brown and aged state.
We had a very long cold spring and every thing is running behind schedule and summer here will end in a month and my drying area has no heat source other than the weather and I'm going to run out of time in that regard. So we will see.
I'll still smoke it thats for sure.
I'll get some pictures of the inside in a couple hours after it stops raining

Chrism

I got my display working on the LCD yesterday. My piling seems to be working (havanna) to color cure. One leaf had mold so threw it out. Had it way to high in moisture and no fan blowing...but now I do.
Our spring was cold cold and then bam 100+...

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
That's the way its been just about everywhere. Commercial crops are about 30 days behind too.

dk, I wouldn't worry too much about having warm temps to color cure. As long as it isn't too damp and cold, the leaf will cure. Air circulation is more critical than temperature for color curing. If you get to a point where the leaf is damp for a few days in a row, you'll have to put a fan on it or some kind of heat to burn off the dew.
Jessica Bolin is a crook Jessica Bolin is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off Motion City Hosting is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off MotionCityMedia.com is a rip off

Last edited:

Chrism

I got them in garage. I have a humidifier going and fan but the air isn't blowing directly on the leaf. It's a rather small fan I'm using. I may try the dash board method see how it'll go that way.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Chrism, It sounds like you're doing what is needed by adding the humidifier, but the fan might be counterproductive. Try to space the leaves so they aren't touching each other and open a door or a window to let the air move. It isn't necessary to have wind to have circulation. The dashboard curing method is for after the leaf is color cured...I think.

Jessica Bolin is a crook Jessica Bolin is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off Motion City Hosting is a rip off Motion City Media is a rip off MotionCityMedia.com is a rip off

Last edited:

Chrism

I've got them in a pile. Cracked opened garage door.. See how goes.. Reason why I'm piling is because it's so dry. I have been turning them. And slowly going from green to yellow then brown.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i had a bunch of bottom primings that got too wet and some molded. i got rid of them and the rest smelled identical to liptons tea. just have them in a pile in the mudroom. they are all dry now tho, got some good tongue bites from smoking a cigar made of them too lol i have problems waiting it seems:)

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
ChrisM,

I know what you're doing...I've tried it. It is not the same as "color curing". It might become a good cigar smoke though.

The only person with experience with that kind of cure is some guy who dug ditches 150 years ago, and did a Luau with whole stalks. You're venturing into uncharted waters. DeluxeStogie can probably give you the best advice on what the to expect from such an experiment....He ordered more of the same from me, but I don't know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.