Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Teck 1 Shredder Base Idea for Home Made Shredder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeezyjohn

Very good videos - thanks for putting them up ... what a great bit of kit!

Is there any way to change the ratio of the worm gear to give thinner/thicker cut tobacco? It looks fixed to me.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Some more on this Teck1 Shredder
The PowerMatic SII has it beat but if your into very cool old things it works...You decide
For me I wanted to see all the parts up close and look for how it could made and or improved.
If you have a lathe you could replace the wheel retaining nut with a tapped rod. You then attach a short piece of rubber hose to the other end and finally clamp the far end of the hose in an electric drill. The drill powers the wheel thru this coupling and the rubber hose acts to self align the rod and drill and as a shock absorber. A variable speed drill would allow setting your cutting speed.

AmaxB

If you have a lathe you could replace the wheel retaining nut with a tapped rod. You then attach a short piece of rubber hose to the other end and finally clamp the far end of the hose in an electric drill. The drill powers the wheel thru this coupling and the rubber hose acts to self align the rod and drill and as a shock absorber. A variable speed drill would allow setting your cutting speed.
Love You Older guys ya been around

squeezyjohn

Yeh man now were startin to build steam....

That sounds like a better adaptation - something you could just exchange when you wanted to change the thickness of cut.

However if you wanted to keep the single wheel then you could make one which had something like 12 blades equally spaced (if they'd fit!) but mounted so that they could be moved in and out of contact with the leaf. Having the blade with a spring/screw adjustment would make it possible to move them in and out of the cutting zone - and having 12 would give you 6 "gears" or thicknesses with 1,2,3,4,6 and 12 blades in play.

Something like that would also allow you to get the blade as close to the edge without hitting it without needing to make shims.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Squeezy

squeezyjohn

8 blades would give 4 "gears" - so would 6 but the thinnest cut would be only half the thickness of your current setup.

DrBob

Founding Member
I considered powering my teck 1. I went so far as aquiring a 90 rpm 1/20 hp continious duty capacitor start gear motor. I drove the cutter wheel using a socket wrench to the main nut in the cutter wheel. I ran it temporarily and it looked like it would work out. normal_cutter01.jpgnormal_tobacco_cutter_001.jpgnormal_tobacco_cutter_002.jpgnormal_tobacco_cutter_003.jpg The attached photos show a shredder that a fellow posted quite a while back. It was a converted reel type lawnmower that he made a shredder out of. It looked like a slick setup. So slick I thought that I picked up a reel type mower to make my own! Both machines look like finger eaters.
Powermatic got the nod. End of story

holyRYO

I considered powering my teck 1. I went so far as aquiring a 90 rpm 1/20 hp continious duty capacitor start gear motor. I drove the cutter wheel using a socket wrench to the main nut in the cutter wheel. I ran it temporarily and it looked like it would work out. View attachment 4570View attachment 4571View attachment 4572View attachment 4573 The attached photos show a shredder that a fellow posted quite a while back. It was a converted reel type lawnmower that he made a shredder out of. It looked like a slick setup. So slick I thought that I picked up a reel type mower to make my own! Both machines look like finger eaters.
Powermatic got the nod. End of story
Funny thing, the lawn mower is the best cut I have seen yet. lol... Closest to shag, that is...

AmaxB

Nut, Socket, Shaft are wielded and sprocket could be or other.
tect1-driving.jpg
DrBob you said socket (and click I used to do things like this to make certain tools)
Maybe a second modification to the teck1 could be a steel plate of sorts mounted on the shoot to keep the to keep the leaf from flapping as it is cut. Could maybe stop pieces of leaf from ending up in the shred.

holyRYO

Maybe a second modification to the teck1 could be a steel plate of sorts mounted on the shoot to keep the to keep the leaf from flapping as it is cut. Could maybe stop pieces of leaf from ending up in the shred.
I like that idea... more armchair engineering... instead of steel, Lexan so you can see what is going on, hinged so that you can clear it... please don't make me get one and butcher it myself... lol

DrBob

Founding Member
yes I did say socket. I really wanted to find out if it had enough tourque, and it seemed adequate for direct drive. I did not think the threads on the shaft would survive long and I abandoned the project. I really did not want to modify the teck 1 in any way. What i did find with motorizing the teck 1 was the amount of mess the thing made. It did shred tobacco but there were the random chunks of tobacco flying everywhere.
The powermatic ended my dicking around with shredders.Bobs_shredder.jpg
The attached photo is of another shredder I had built. It works similar to the powernatic. I had the cutters machined and an old friend, Uncle smelly, put it together. It also produced a superb shred but was painfully slow if you wanted to make a lot.

DrBob

Founding Member
DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0002.JPGDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0004.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0006.JPG
These are more photos of the original cutting rollers I had built. The clearance between the cutting wheels on the rollers were .0005". It was built in 2009. This was another proof of concept exersize. It did a fine job cutting tobacco. I could not justify the cost in developing a bigger unit, This is the same concept as the powermatic.

AmaxB

View attachment 4577View attachment 4578View attachment 4579View attachment 4580View attachment 4581View attachment 4582
These are more photos of the original cutting rollers I had built. The clearance between the cutting wheels on the rollers were .0005". It was built in 2009. This was another proof of concept exersize. It did a fine job cutting tobacco. I could not justify the cost in developing a bigger unit, This is the same concept as the powermatic.
I got a cost for something on this line few years back from a machine shop and I lost my nuts when I seen it.

AmaxB

That's the problem with typing, I wasn't sure how loud that was going to come off:)
Haha hell man that wasn't loud we just heard ya in China........ I see ya peakin through those bacco leaves
Back to my patch I got work to do (this stuff goes well with my frequent breaks)

Status
Not open for further replies.