Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Teck 1 Shredder Base Idea for Home Made Shredder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

As many of you fellas know I recently got my sweaty hands on an Old Teck 1 Tobacco Shredder.
I bought it for two reasons 1) It's very COOL 2) Wanted a good look at it's simplistic function and parts.
Must say I am impressed with the shred and how easy it is to work with. Watching it brings pictures to mind of a small electric motor to replace the hand crank. With an over all size
increase of maybe 5 times of what it is.
If only I had a machine shop to tool parts it would be a fun project.
A Milled plate
3 to 4 ears wielded to the plate with milled faces for the blades
1 shaft for Worm Gear
1 Worm set set
Frame to put the parts on
1 Motor
1 Hand guard

See pics of Teck 1 Parts and note Cutter Blades don't make contact with the frame there is about a 1/32 gap

the shred
bacco.JPG
teck-1-tobacco-shredded.JPG
teck 1 parts
cutter wheel.JPG
tobacco-drive.JPG
leaf drive sys.JPG
cutter gap-2.JPG
cutter gap.JPG

squeezyjohn

I love that AmaxB! Thanks for the pictures ... some good solid old fashioned engineering and hand powered!

I it was in my possession and I had the need to shred tobacco for smoking than that is exactly the sort of thing that I'd use.

I have to say that I'm almost obsessed with not using mains electricity unless it's impossible not to ... I grind my snus flour with an old cast iron hand-cranked flour mill - my coffee in an old fashioned hand-cranked coffee grinder - on my plot the radio is a brilliant Trevor Bayliss clockwork and solar powered one.

If I had the skills you obviously have - I'd love to take an old racing bicycle with high gears and make it stationary with a heavy flywheel and use the rotational energy created to power all manner of rotary tools from drills to food blenders and the above mentioned grinders.

Maybe one day I will get around to it!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Amax - Looking at the pictures, it would be rather simple to use a longer bolt that holds the blade plate to the frame, and sandwich a pulley between the bolt and the blade plate. This would avoid any permanent modifications that would destory it's antique or hisorical value. You could play with pulley size and operate it with an electic motor or the little woman on a stationary bicycle. To return it to original condition remove the pulley and reinstall the original bolt.

AmaxB

You are most welcome squeesyjohn!!
Talk of the bicycle I seen a gay use one to generate his own power to charge a battery bank he powered his home with by making one of the wheels a paddle wheel an putting it in a small stream running on his property. With the gears from the bike he was able to drive a generate...very slick
If you see one of these in good shape grab it (is a nice shredder) or use my pics for ideas to make one something like it.

AmaxB

Amax - Looking at the pictures, it would be rather simple to use a longer bolt that holds the blade plate to the frame, and sandwich a pulley between the bolt and the blade plate. This would avoid any permanent modifications that would destory it's antique or hisorical value. You could play with pulley size and operate it with an electic motor or the little woman on a stationary bicycle. To return it to original condition remove the pulley and reinstall the original bolt.
Lol is exactly what I was thinking.
Today I cleand and sharpened the blades than made shims out of and index and put those between the blades and the wheel they mount on. To close the gap a little bit between the blades and the shredder main body. Thing works great could take de-ribbed leaf fold to 1/4 or maybe 3/8 thick and it would cut / shred no problem. The mechanics are just so simple if I get my permit I will have a bigger powered model to shred with.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Lol is exactly what I was thinking.
Today I cleand and sharpened the blades than made shims out of and index and put those between the blades and the wheel they mount on. To close the gap a little bit between the blades and the shredder main body. Thing works great could take de-ribbed leaf fold to 1/4 or maybe 3/8 thick and it would cut / shred no problem. The mechanics are just so simple if I get my permit I will have a bigger powered model to shred with.
I can see it now!! You should have been on Monster Garage with Jesse James!! Will it be powered by a normal nuclear reactor or will you solve the cold fusion problem first? ROFL

Wagner

I put a bid in a couple months ago for a Teck1 but lost in the first round. Wasn't even involved in whole then either.....it's just such a well engineered machine. I'll have one some day.

Coincidentally, I was reading in another forum last night that many of the bolts on the Teck are not your readily available thread types, ie, reportedly nonexistent anymore. To be more specific it was the Teck 0 if memory serves. Sorry, can't recall the site. If the discussion was accurate and it appeared to be, then you might want to be very careful w/ the existing fasteners.

My vote is for blades attached to a motorized flywheel and a hand crank to feed the leaves in the same way as the Teck. Watch those fingertips! (don't ask me why:eek:)
Oh, straight blades would work just fine if you oriented the feed tray at an angle to the blades

DrBob

Founding Member
I have a teck 1 too. I did lot of tinkering with it, and yes the screws and bolts are non standard. I have found that the blade to cutting bed clearance is best at .002". The bevel on the blade edge is about 17 degrees on mine. I adjusted the clearance with shim stock I made from feeler gauges. Each blade needs to be shimmed individually. There really is no adjustment on the cutting wheel other than shims.
In use it takes 12 revolutions to advance the leaf 1". It works best cutting 4 to 6 layers of leaves at a time and produces a superb shred. The shred is about .027"

It is for sale. It works just fine

BarG

Founding Member
I have a teck 1 too. I did lot of tinkering with it, and yes the screws and bolts are non standard. I have found that the blade to cutting bed clearance is best at .002". The bevel on the blade edge is about 17 degrees on mine. I adjusted the clearance with shim stock I made from feeler gauges. Each blade needs to be shimmed individually. There really is no adjustment on the cutting wheel other than shims.
In use it takes 12 revolutions to advance the leaf 1". It works best cutting 4 to 6 layers of leaves at a time and produces a superb shred. The shred is about .027"

It is for sale. It works just fine
I won't doubt somebody will jump on it, It is a cool looking Tool. You ought to list in market place! There still seems to be a lot of interest in the tech shredders.

Matty

I would love to get one of those shredders. I used to use a butcher knife and cutting board, then I made a manual shredder at work. It's a blade on a pivot and I have to advance the leaf manually. It is all steel and works fine but a Tech style shredder would be awesome, I often think of making my own but never have the time to even start.

AmaxB

There ya go Wagner DrBob is selling his.
Man Drbob you got yours figured out....I used a Chiefs Choice sharpener to sharpen my blades what color is yours? Someone painted mine and did a horrible job of it, I might strip it one day and repaint a Fire Engine Red.
If I add a motor I will likely make an extension rod (the cutter wheel seems to be a compression fit the end of the rod that came with it was machined i think it has a slight slope than the threads) with pulley / sprocket and small gear motor to keep the RPMs down. Would make up a shroud to cover the blades too you could loose a finger after a few beers.

I put the pics up for all to see but mostly for Leverhead thought they might help with ideas to tune his shredder build.

DrBob

Founding Member
100_1755.jpg100_1757.jpg100_1758.jpg100_1759.jpg100_1760.jpg100_1761.jpg here are some photos of my teck 1. It is in original unrestored condition. I did sharpen and re shim the blades to .002 clearance. It works just fine, and yes I will sell it. How about $200 including frt.

Wagner

Very tempting DrBob. I would have pounced all over it four or five days ago. As it stands right now payment for a Powermatic S shredder from FmGrowit is in the mail.

My wife would string me up by the cojones if two shredders showed up side by side in the mail.:eek:

AmaxB

Some more on this Teck1 Shredder
The PowerMatic SII has it beat but if your into very cool old things it works...You decide
For me I wanted to see all the parts up close and look for how it could made and or improved.
Parts video

Status
Not open for further replies.