Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco Blocks in a Kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman

Well the unit was a load of crap for its intended usage. It was a cigar humidifier and could not cope with the temp in the kiln. SO i added a crockpot and sealed the unit. Today I tryed some and it was very smokable. A little more flavorful than other brighleafs I had smoked and probably needs aired out a few days. Tastes a little like it has turkish added to it.
Will leave in another week as I bumped the temps to 127 and rh a little higher after adding some newer bricks to unit.

springheal

Ah ah, good to know thanks Fisherman.

My chamber is small(with crockpot), so bricking is the best option for me. I did a test today to see what temperature I can reach with no water. Got to 76 Celsius or 168 Fahrenheit after several hours, so heat is not a problem using a crockpot. Keeping temperature between 120 and 130 Fahrenheit with water and controlling rh is a breeze for my setup.

I am just at the start of the growing season so will be a few months before I can try the brick method. Did you just color cure, de-rib and then make the brick or did you shred it as well before bricking?

This brick method is a winner if it works well (deluxestogie seems to confirm this). As I am a cigarette smoker, I don't want to wait forever to get a smokable product and thought this was a good way to speed up the aging process too.

Fisherman

I did entertain the idea of shreadding first. IF you can keep the temp over 125 F then mold is not supposed to be a problem. I was thinking mold on shredded tobacco would be harder to find.
Also shredding the leaf may release to much enzyme and result in a lot more leaf not being able to age properly???????
I still like the idea tho. It could help humidity get inside brick also. So am not sure but will try it eventually I am sure.
I color cured then bricked. The first one was of nessesity as I had some leaf showing mildew. If you de stem before the rib is totally dry the leaf is a breeze to de rib. I seldom fail on first jerk of leaf downwards on stem that is broken a few inchs from tip of leaf.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I don't kiln ferment tobacco as a 'brick', but rather as a bale of tobacco leaf, and it works for me.
When you say brick, I think of pressed leaf under high pressure to form a solid block of tobacco, the result being with the density of, and looking like, a plug of chewing tobacco.
My bales are layered leaf, with hand pressure only, and the density of a bale of hay or straw. I can easily get about 30+ lbs of leaf in my refrigerator kiln, with lots of room for circulating air.
As for mold in the kiln, I discovered that it is possible if the leaf is too wet, say above 90% RH for an extended time (weeks). As long as leaf is in low-to-mid case, or just barely plyable, then mold is improbable.

Am going to try fermenting shredded leaf this year also. I'll use my seed-bud bags for containers of the shred. Might just as well get some use of the bags in the off season.

Fisherman

My bricks are still spongy feeling as Im not sure what actually is required to make one to actually qualify as a brick. I do use a form and c-clamps tho initially. they do bend also. I would say that roughly it takes like 12 inchs of leaves to make a 1 " brick. Is probably just a short bale?

AmaxB

Am going to try fermenting shredded leaf this year also. I'll use my seed-bud bags for containers of the shred. Might just as well get some use of the bags in the off season.
I like that Idea really like it, think I'll try it but with leaf.

My bricks are still spongy feeling as Im not sure what actually is required to make one to actually qualify as a brick. I do use a form and c-clamps tho initially. they do bend also. I would say that roughly it takes like 12 inchs of leaves to make a 1 " brick. Is probably just a short bale?
12" to 1" I'd say that is pressed brick...

springheal

Thanks guys for your responses.

My intentions are to cure compressed bricks in the chamber to suit the cuthof shredder. The opening of the shredder takes a brick a little over 1"x2" diameter (roughly). Bricks must be made for the cuthof shredder, so I thought bricking first for the curing chamber was a good option and give me loads of space rather than laying or hanging loose leaf. As you all know, whatever size chamber you have, it is never big enough!

Another option I may try is to first make compressed bricks, shred it, then put the shredded tobacco in the chamber.

As I am only starting my plantings outside now, it will be some time before I can try this.

springheal

How did it smoke Colin?

I want to try yet another option. Harvest green leaf,rib it immediately,brick it and then flue cure it. The main problem maybe the colour curing process as there is no way to see the colour change throughout when it's a brick:rolleyes:

Anyone tried flue curing a brick instead of fermenting?

jekylnz

How did it smoke Colin?

I want to try yet another option. Harvest green leaf,rib it immediately,brick it and then flue cure it. The main problem maybe the colour curing process as there is no way to see the colour change throughout when it's a brick:rolleyes:

Anyone tried flue curing a brick instead of fermenting?

I think you need more air flow.flue curing..unless they're not packed tight..I know they use trays but I think you still have to be careful with airflow..you can kiln bricks

springheal

Flue curing is a trickier process using the brick (compressed/packed tight) method.

Some members have successfully used the slower way using leaf that has been colour cured first (naturally), then compressing it and putting in the chamber with constant temperature and humidity to the end of the cycle for approximately 30 days.

Not sure of your definition of "kiln" bricks. To me, fermentation is the slower process (30 days) to age baccy and flue (7 days) is the rapid process and treated very differently.

The slow process has proven to work fine. Rapid process (flue) I am not aware of anyone doing using the brick method.

My chamber does have air circulation (fan) but I feel air circulation is not going to help when we are talking about compressed bricks.

Sooner I have leaf to harvest, the sooner I can do some trials.

DonH

I'm pretty sure flue curing blocks would be 100% impossible. Regular kilning could work because what you're putting in is already dry and cured. Just not aged.

springheal

I know it's going to the extreme and most certainly fail but may still give it a shot just to eliminate any doubt. A small loss is fine as nothing ventured nothing gained.

At least I know your way works perfectly fine Bob which is the way I will be going for the bulk.

DonH

I know it's going to the extreme and most certainly fail but may still give it a shot just to eliminate any doubt. A small loss is fine as nothing ventured nothing gained.

At least I know your way works perfectly fine Bob which is the way I will be going for the bulk.
Flue curing is flash drying basically, after yellowing. How will you be able to quickly dry a pressed block of wet leaves? But if you insist go ahead. Maybe you'll create a new thing like Cavendish or Perique.

Fisherman

Mr Don,
SOmeone posted a video of a green leaf shredder.............. I bet if you made some sort of rack for a chamber , you could get some good results but I am like you on the brick idea might not fly to well.

springheal

While I do agree with you 100% DonH, I to have seen that video shredding green leaf. It just does not seem logical at all. The process after that is unknown. There is so much to learn and discover from successes and failures.

Compressing green leaf no doubt will turn into mush/rot (I trust your opinion Bob) and flash drying does not seem possible when bricking, but------:confused:

The higher the risk, the smaller amount of leaf I will use for a trial. Failures are fine by me as it's still a valuable learning experience.

Should I attempt this later in the year, I will certainly post the outcome here.

Brown Thumb

What seems right but is known wrong , Someone has to make it right without trying it will always be wrong.
Correct me if I Am right or wrong.

DonH

Mr Don,
SOmeone posted a video of a green leaf shredder.............. I bet if you made some sort of rack for a chamber , you could get some good results but I am like you on the brick idea might not fly to well.
I think you could flue cure shredded green leaf. As long as it is very loosely stacked in the chamber on a rack with lots of airflow. But the only advantage to green shredding is for those without a shredder. The idea is you can shred green leaf much wider and when it dries it will shrink and be a nice narrow shred.

Status
Not open for further replies.