Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Planting "Pairs"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Anyone tried planting "pairs" of seedlings, as in letting two plants start in each cell? If so what were the results versus thinning to single plants?

I have a limited growing space and thinking of trying a few this way. I know planting doubles means the plants won't get AS big, but how much difference? If they will grow 70% the size of single plants, then it would still give me a 40% increase in yield for my small space.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If two seedlings remain in the same cell for long, their roots with completely entangle. I think your final yield may be greater by doing it correctly. The double-planted cells, if not promptly thinned may just give you two sickly seedlings.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
You may get one plant that comepletly overshadows the other and have a regular to less quality plant next to a thin spindly one, much like a ground sucker left to grow. I tried a double last year and thats what happened. I noticed that with tobacco unlike a lot of vegetables where it works fine. Maybe some varietys with a sharp upward angle on leaves and short height may work or some turkish. In the oriental section of how to grow there are some planting specs for very close spacing but not double celled plants.

Webby

You may get one plant that comepletly overshadows the other and have a regular to less quality plant next to a thin spindly one, much like a ground sucker left to grow. I tried a double last year and thats what happened. I noticed that with tobacco unlike a lot of vegetables where it works fine. Maybe some varietys with a sharp upward angle on leaves and short height may work or some turkish. In the oriental section of how to grow there are some planting specs for very close spacing but not double celled plants.

I had a similar experience, planted 2 cells with double plants as I did not want to separate and kill them both,in one of the doubles one died, the other, one grew and the other went sucker like and yellow leafed so I gave it the chop.

DonH

If you're limited in space you could start the seedlings singly in the cells but I have read somewhere that you can plant more than one plant in a large pot. Don't know if anyone's tried that.

Status
Not open for further replies.