Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stand & Plant for Transplanting Any Input for Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Let us know how it works out. It looks heavy enough that after 50 plants or so your arm might feel like it's going to fall off. Keep us updated please. How much does that thing cost?

Brown Thumb

100 bucks shipped. I think it weighs 6 pounds
I only have 1000 plants to plant, I might have to start working out, yea right

AmaxB

That's a cool gadget if more than a few plants could be worth the 100.00 please post what you think of it when you get it. Would think you would need to push soil around plants to protect roots.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Brown Thumb said:
...I am wondering if it will work...
It should work and you will work. I agree with AmaxB; you probably should compress the soil against the seedlings after transplant.

What is the advantage of standing, while using your back to repeatedly lift a heavy device? It looks like it weighs about 10+ pounds. (10 x 1000 = lifting 10,000 pounds--you will be working out.) Even Knucklehead's masonry hammer looks heavy to me.

Squat and Plant
Squatting, I can transplant at nearly the same rate using a light-weight trowel I picked up at Lowe's for $10:

Garden20120512_154_plantingTool_300.jpg

Do let us know how it works out. I'm a confirmed codger, and don't easily see advantages in new gadgets.

Bob

EDIT: My knees are in much better shape than my back.

BigBonner

Founding Member
There is still some antique ones around . They used them for planting tobacco .After mechaical transplanter came around they used them mostly for resttting missed or dead plants .
Some had a plant holder on the back and some had a place for water . They would let out a small amount of water to each plant .
Back in the old days farmers raised tobacco by the alotted acgreage and farmers planted tobacco close and we made sure every plant was there and living .
The pounds you raised off your alotment was what you were allowed to sell .

If I can find the one I have I will post a picture .
Here is a link to one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Vintage.../140956042974?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item20d1a286de

Brown Thumb

I just got it in the mail.
weighs in at 5 pounds and very sturdy. if it pokes the hole in the plastic and gets them in upright, back filling the plants a little should be no big deal. Thats what I kids for.
I have a real bad back and Hope this will help with all the bending over. I can get down on the ground but getting back up can be a problem.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Although it appears as if all the lifting to use the planter is performed by your arm, the postural muscles in your back have to exert an equal force (or you would tip over). If you don't have one already, you might look into a Velcro-strapped lumbar support belt (available at Walmart for ~$30). They are really helpful for prolonged walking or standing, and make a vast difference in lifting--even repeated lifting of a small weight. Where they are a nuisance is if you really do have to bend, such as stooping. Since they also compress your abdomen, they tend to be uncomfortable if worn for more than a couple of hours.

Bob

Brown Thumb

Yes i have a couple of them and do wear it when working, you forget to mention the they make you sweat also.
Thanks,

Brown Thumb

It will not work for small jiffy 72 cell trays. The dia. is too large.
But it does make planting a lot faster. I lay out my big tape measure and just go down the row and put a hole thru the plastic and in the ground at the same time. 100 holes takes 10 min. and that is not rushing either. I do not have to swing it I just push it in the soft dirt and pull the lever. like a mini post hole digger just a lot more money.
It takes a little over 1 hr to plant 100 plants that includes removing the lower leaves and adding a little mulch around the plant so the leaves do not lay on the hot plastic. I am happy with it no other tools needed other than a cooler of beer.

Attachments

• plnt 1.JPG
    plnt 1.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 27
  • plnt3.JPG
    plnt3.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 28
  • plat2.JPG
    plat2.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 29
  • plnt4.JPG
    plnt4.JPG