Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cross strain cultvation

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhouse

OK don't shoot me down in flames, i know i am the one that goes on and on about pure strains and i know it take about 3 to 4 years of trials to establish a pure strain but if i could set aside the time and space too develop a new strain what are peoples thoughts on a new strain that would really benefit us growers, i think with the help of my buddies i could in theory set aside the time to do this but it would have to be something worth doing, also are there any cross strains that would cause an unstable strain as a end result i would love to here your thoughts on this and why the strain would be worth the time and effort.

all the best madhouse.:rolleyes:

leverhead

I'm no authority, but it seems to me to be a crap shoot. What do you want to end up with? I think that's the place to start, then you can start searching for varieties that have the traits that you want. Cross them, grow the seed and start looking for something closer to what you want to end up with. 3 or 4 years might end up being 30 or 40, with no guarantee of success. There's no shame in trying. Do you play the lottery?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'll be in my late 80's before I finish sampling all of the varieties available now (I'm 53 at the time of this post).

I'll check back on this thread then.

jekylnz

If u cross a Virginia with some burley and a oriental it doesn't mean ul end up with a good cigarette strain.lol
But there's no harm in trying .long as u know what ur striving 4?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
f1 hybrids seem like fun, but forget about doing the work that is needed to make a new cultivar, and know that the f1's you end up with will be a crapshoot. but a fun one at that i think. almost everyone comes to the hobby fantasizing about making new strains, no one has. maybe you will be the first but, no offense, i doubt it'll happen. like fm said there are so many varieties out there already.

as to tomacco, this has already been done, you get a tobacco plant, behead it, and clip the legs off a tomato plant then graft together. apparently there is some nicotine in the tomato after this, but such a small amount it's only detectable in lab equipment.

madhouse

well at least it spawned a discussion, perhaps i will try red Russian x variegata with a potato graft on the bottom a least i will get some veg nice red flowers and green and white foliage lol.

jekylnz

well at least it spawned a discussion, perhaps i will try red Russian x variegata with a potato graft on the bottom a least i will get some veg nice red flowers and green and white foliage lol.

Don't let us burst your bubble wer just giving u shyte..just do what u want to do..if u think u could come up with something ..there's no harm in trying ,u have to start somewhere!!that's how we've got the varieties here today..u never know u might come out with the next super yielding bug resistant madhouse strain..giving up get people nowhere

madhouse

many thanks jekyl smokesahoy i was more interested in folks ideas, more of a talking point really.

BarG

Founding Member
I just had an an idea for an opinion on a new controversial thread in the general forum. Ideas versus opinions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.