Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

finicky Mother Nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
A week ago I thought spring had finally arrived, and started setting plants in the ground. Today, had to go out at first light to dig them out before the snow gets here.

DrBob

Founding Member
Just talked to a trucker friend a couple of minutes ago and she is in southern minnesota stopped dead on I 35 near albert lea with 14" of new snow. I am about 150 miles straight north of that and have about 3" new snow on the ground. Butt ugly spring.

BarG

Founding Member
Buuummmer!! I'm waiting a few more days before setting my next batch due to 40 degree temp swings. from 85 - 42 degrees and back again.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
This global warming thing is getting out of control

Ashauler

Founding Member
Yep, snow / sleet / rain here this morning. Unbelievable. It was 82 on Tuesday.

BarG

Founding Member
This may be off topic but next year I'm scheduling my planting for May. I think my early planting put stress on the plants which may be a cause for a lot of early suckers. Do you guys up north have light frosts or severe temp swings affect your plants that way?

Boboro

Next year it will be 80 In april and May AND dry. Youll say next year Im plantin in early April.

DonH

This may be off topic but next year I'm scheduling my planting for May. I think my early planting put stress on the plants which may be a cause for a lot of early suckers. Do you guys up north have light frosts or severe temp swings affect your plants that way?
Probably. They don't really take off until July when the nights get warm. So here there's not much point in putting them in the ground until Memorial Day.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have such a long grow season like BarG's, I'm sort of worried that I planted too soon and harvest time may come during the hot, dry part of summer. My planting time may need readjusting next year due to this. I'll just have to wait and see this year and see how it works out.

Boboro

Last July I had a problem with mildew because it was rainin so much. So you can never tell. Looks like its goin to be cool and damp at Dega this weekend. Catastrophic Global Climate Disruption.

DGBAMA

spent the last week in FtWorth TX area with my sister. Wednesday was 81deg with a low of 52. Thursday had a high of 53 and a low of 31. Friday was back in the middle 70s. Crazy stuff.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
A week ago I thought spring had finally arrived, and started setting plants in the ground. Today, had to go out at first light to dig them out before the snow gets here.

looks like thing are going to warm up again - sunshine the next two days, with 10-day forecast of 70's+ daytime and 50's nighttime temps. Am going to re-plant if the soils dry enough. And hope Mother Nature doen't send me another cold spell.

webmost

Here in Dull-Aware it's 50 at night and 65 or 70 in the afternoon. I put the old black thumb to work today and set my babies in the ground. You should see the poor suffering scraggles. Started out with 20 sprouts and have killed all but six or eight. Good thing I have a surrogate gardener whose going to plant the great bulk of them. I ought to stick to animals. I have no affinity for green.

BarG

Founding Member
We had another frost earlier this week. 35- 40 temp swing in a few hours with full sun and a couple days of sustained high winds beat the bejesus out of my plants. You can see the damage it does to some plants. It will make you start looking if there could be another cause for the abnormal leaf charachteristics on affected plants. Not just tobacco either. Luckily they still have a long way to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.