Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

i would like to donate some '' big-gem'' [ A CIG BLEND}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
IM CURRENTLY HARVESTING THEM,,,,,AND HAVE A LOT MORE PODS LEFT TO OPEN,,, BUT RIGHT NOW I HAVE THOUSANDS,, TONIGHT I'LL HAVE 10'S OF THOUSANDS,,,

and i plan on trying other peoples seeds,, for my next year crop,,,

but im ready to add mine to the collection,,,

how do i get it there,, where it needs to be?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
That's a very generous offer...Were the flower heads bagged to prevent cross pollination with other tobacco varieties growing in your garden?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
That's a very generous offer...Were the flower heads bagged to prevent cross pollination with other tobacco varieties growing in your garden?

im only growing 2 strains,,,,, the sharika flowered first,,was bagged,,,and harvested,,,,

now the big-gem is flowering,,,so i dont believe thier was any cross pollination,,,

and no-one commercially grows baccy in my area,,,

so id be 99% sure of saying they are pure,,,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I've got some CT shade seed to donate. Please tell me how.

My CT shade seed is almost ready. A small amount (about a tablespoon full) was bagged. About triple that was grown in the same small plot but not bagged. No other plants blossomed so I think it is pure also.

FYI -- My commercial growing friend uses his own seed. He has it pellatized by an outfit in Maryland. He does not bag his blossoms. He has large large fields that are completely shaded. The netting is on all sides as well as the top. He has been doing this for years. He feels he gets a stronger strain by letting his own plants cross pollinate and does not believe he is being crossed by other tobaccos. Since this is the way he has made his living for years (and his father before him) I tend to agree.

The plants I have grew from his seed.

I would like to get some silver river, Havana 142 and some YTB seeds for next year. Any help, info will be appreciated.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My commercial growing friend... He does not bag his blossoms. He has large large fields that are completely shaded. He feels he gets a stronger strain by letting his own plants cross pollinate and does not believe....

John,
There are a number of issues at play here. If any other variety of tobacco grows within 1/2 mile of your friend's tobacco, then there is a possibility of cross pollination, despite his beliefs. He is absolutely correct in his observation that cross-pollination among his own plants will increase their overall vigor--this is widely observed in many animal and plant species. His shade cloth will minimize, though not eliminate, insect-borne pollination. His large fields produce a mass effect that minimizes the probability of cross-pollination near the center of his growing areas, though not at the periphery.

I think it's fine to not bag your bud heads, but seed produced without bagging could not comfortably be offered as a pure varietal strain. Such seed, clearly labeled as "not isolated," I suppose might be of interest to some home growers.

It's worth noting that the many named varieties of CT Broadleaf (e.g. Kupchonos) are the result of mostly unintentional genetic drift over the past 150 years, caused by the belief that substantial isolation was not needed.

The seed from your bagged CT Shade plant would be most welcome. It's kind of you to offer it.

Bob

Last edited:

wazzappenning

i was planning on sending in some of that huge leaf burley seed. people keep telling me to wait till it pushes a few petals before bagging. well i have 4 open blossoms now and none of the other types are flowering yet. if i snip off those few blooms, and bag a small amount of buds, will that make them not contaminated?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I dont have anyone growing tobacco near me. I can see the only non forrested field in about a mile radius and there is nothing on it.

I bag because I have a known pure strain and for the BANK (not necessarily for me) I know I want the stuff that I request to be 100% pure. So I would appreciate don not taking in seed that might possibly be f1 hybrids and grouping it with pure strain and getting it all mixed up. if he also wants to store unbagged seperately that would be fine too, but i dont think people would request unbagged when bagged is available too.

If I request seed from the bank, I want to know it's pure. So i appreciate their hard stance on only taken definite bagged pods.

The way I see it is these are like food ingredients. I can mix and match as much as I want to make a meal when I get home from the store, but I want to be sure the store is selling me the exact product listed on the label.

just 2 different quality standards. I'm happy to let some seed for personal use possibly cross with unknowns for my own use, but for planning a grow a year in advance with new unproven (to me) seed I want gold standard pure genetics. that's the point of having these specific strains and not just calling everything a burley or a virginia or some other generic name..

indianjoe

Founding Member
John,
my silver river seems to be excellent with just a few months hanging so far. I got seeds (Bagged, by the way) :)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John,
my silver river seems to be excellent with just a few months hanging so far. I got seeds (Bagged, by the way) :)
Thanks Joe, I'm not sure yet what next years grow will be. If you could send me a leaf or two to test I'd be grateful. I'd kinda like to grow only five varieties but don't know which ones yet.. I may be better off buying some of the "flavoring" leaves. Looks like I'll have lots of pure CT shade seed and maybe two others (I'll know better when I get the bags off). Soon I'll have a list of what cured up and how it tastes. Test leaves of some varieties should be available.

John

BarG

Founding Member
Almost every variety I stalk cured has produced flowering seed pods, at some point. So if you stalk harvested and cured whole or tops even than the cross pollination would be an issue. I got a couple plants out of 400 that I labeled X, they were in a row of specified a variety but had enough subtle differences to differentiate them from anything else.
I also found a few mislabled transplants and was able to distinguish those.

Status
Not open for further replies.